double din/audio question

law350

i am thinking of getting one of those cheapie double din units from ebay. the gps/bluetooth/dvd ones for about £320.

i want to put it in the cubby hole in the dash.....can this work alongside the normal stereo or does this become redundant. I know there is no point then having the normal stereo but hate having things in my car that dont work and if i remove it i have a double din size hole.

any ideas.

as soon as i posted the link, i thought someone woudl say that...lol....

yeha i know...i did think that, but always quite liked the idea of having it behind the cubby hole. looks better.

if i remove the radio can you put somethign in its place or do you just blank it off?

I suppose you could make up a panel for some switches or phone kit or something but I think you will have problems with putting a double din unit in the cubby hole as I don't think it will be deep enough once you have the aerial & power cables etc coming out the back of the unit. Even if you cut that back of the cubby out, there is a solid piece of flat plastic behind that as well and to cut that out would be rather brave!! :)

oh ok,

probably safer jsut to put it in the radio position then.

anyone had any dealings with the cheapie dvd/sat nav double din units. they seem to do everything and cheap but just remember the old saying 'you get what you pay for';)

+1 on fitting in the cubby, without major surgery!!

Best option would be to go for a kenwood setup using a screen in the cubby and the sat nav and dvd gubbins in the rear cubby.

Few peeps on the other forum (OC) for about £500 all in for the Kenwood system. For another £200 you can get the all in one DNX-7200 to replace the Bose, that just looks like a nissan fit.

I just had a Kenwood fitted. It took the place of the crappy jdm cd/tuner that came with the motor. IT LOOKS FANTASTIC!!!! Fits right into the lower head unit slot and looks almost factory fitted. I also had the bluetooth thingy for me phone calls (although downloading the contacts from a MDA Vario 3 is a bit of a chore!) and a rear view cam. This last, I'm not convinced was a good idea. I might just have to get used to using it, but right now there's no depth perception on the screen. I can reverse with it until the image behind appears huge in the display, and still find I'm 3 feet away! sensors may have been better, but time will tell. I paid £1135 all in including fitting. Oh yeah, the sat nav's pretty cool too.

:DB)

i think putting it in the place of the standard head unit is therefore the way forward. still intrigued by these ebay units, and may take a flyer. If i do i'll let you know how i get on, unless im too embarassed and ashamed to tell you how bad it really is :p

i think putting it in the place of the standard head unit is therefore the way forward. still intrigued by these ebay units, and may take a flyer. If i do i'll let you know how i get on, unless im too embarassed and ashamed to tell you how bad it really is :p

Do not get the ones from hongkong :headhurt:

i know i know......they are drawing me in. Problem is i am skint at the moment and even if i wasnt the justification of £1000 on a car stereo is not easy.

we'll see. i just know if i did get one its not gonna be good, althoguh feedback on them seems to be all good thoguh!.

where are the h/u from ? if you buy from say the usa the radio will not pick up all stations that a uk model will because they bandwidth goes up in different increments and is narrower than ours :blush:

i bought one for my previous car as it was less than half price and i didnt really care about the radio too much, just thought i would make you aware though ;)

ICE is a PIA because it costs an arm and a leg and is immediately worth nothing 2nd hand :headhurt:

+1

kenwood.jpg

:teeth:

Kenwood buddies AND Omega buddies!

Carbon, Kenwood and ex Omega Seamaster !! Is that the new setup Zedrush???

Lol still got my Omega Seamaster B)

Pah - Seamaster - check out my timepiece - I use it to calculate my outgoings to Big Phil - if you look closely it's even got a button that when pressed automatically makes a payment to his Paypal account :lol::lol:

By the way Phil - received filter-thanks :thumbs:

+1

kenwood.jpg

:teeth:

Kenwood buddies AND Omega buddies!

Carbon, Kenwood and ex Omega Seamaster !! Is that the new setup Zedrush???

Lol still got my Omega Seamaster B)

Pah - Seamaster - check out my timepiece - I use it to calculate my outgoings to Big Phil - if you look closely it's even got a button that when pressed automatically makes a payment to his Paypal account :lol::lol:

By the way Phil - received filter-thanks :thumbs:

Lol, :lol:

Worth looking at the new Kenwood systems - very good value for money - built in Parrot Hands free - IPod interface + USB interface.

Although ICE can cost a lot and is not worth much second hand if you don it properly the kit can last years. I've had my current head unit for over 5 years now and the current setup for over 3 moving between cars.

You're not wrong. I picked up a 4gb flash drive from Tesco for £17, loaded on about 30 albums (or something like, cant really remember, but a lot), plugged it in and was away. It's bloody good stuff. All the radio presets are a bit of a waste as I only ever listen to Radio 1, but the DVD player is the nuts (when stationary)! I only have one music DVD, AC/DC - family jewels, but will now buy a few more, the kids love it!