Positive Terminal Disconnected Before Negative

Colin747

I went out to start my 350 this morning, turned the key and nothing happened. Had a look at the battery and the positive terminal seemed to have worked lose, I pushed it back on and the car started fine so off I went. Just as I got into work I remembered that you're always supposed to disconnect the negative first.

Is there any chance this could have caused any damage etc? Or is there anything I can do to check/minimise etc.

The reason they say to disconnect the negative first and then last when re-fitting. It's because the negative is the low tension side of the circuit and as stated stops/reduces risk of any voltage spikes that will blow fuses etc. If your car functions as normal you will be fine, usually the worse you can do is pop fuses.

The reason you disconnect the negative first is so you don`t create a short with the spanner when you disconnect the live if you accidentally touched it against the bodywork whilst still touching the live terminal of the battery.