Detonation/pre ignition fix??????

Miller350z

Hi guys, can anyone let me know what I need to do to fix this? I'm 99% sure this is my problem.

It all started when I had a spirited drive with an mr2 back end of November, the next day got a p0300 fault code. Changed the plugs, still the same so took it to a garage and got 6 new coils and an mot and seemed fixed

Noticed this pinging/knocking/clicking sound (like when you used to put a lolly stick in you bike spoke to make a noise) but only very slight. Thought great another problem. It's got worse and worse ever since. It only happens under load in gear.

I also noticed it had used a lot of oil and put nearly 2l back in.

The y pipe is also blowing and was an the mot advisory if this is also possibly not helping.

So does it sound like I'm on the right line of the problem? How do I go about fixing it and how much will it cost?

Thanks a lot

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Video the sound, it's simple to do and easier than us stabbing in the dark at it.

Could be timing chain tensioner, and if it is - and you're around 100k miles, do the whole thing not just the tensioners. If the chain snaps - you'll be crying.

I also noticed it had used a lot of oil and put nearly 2l back in.

This is very concerning, how many miles had you done since you last checked? You're well under the minimum mark, and coupled with a spirited driving style you may well have done some damage to the engine.

Car has always had super unleaded since I've owned it. Twice shell all the other times tesco 99. I have only done about 5000 miles in it since the last oil change but that was a nearly a year ago. The car hardly ever gets thrashed, I use it to go to work mainly which is 6.5 miles. 2.5 miles 50mph the rest 30mph, although I have heard that stop/start driving uses more oil. I have been keeping a better eye on the oil since and it hasn't really lost any in the last 6 weeks.

I'll try and get a video up, like I said it's only under load. Reving engine in neutral won't make the rattle noise. I have noticed it pops and bangs a bit more but I was putting that down to the blowing y pipe

https://www.google.c...vRHJUmOFliBlZLA

I cant hear anything on that

If you think its detonating take it to a rolling road , they should be able to tell you if its det or something else

Why not give these guys a call and see if they can help

http://www.map-tech.co.uk/rolling-road.htm