Prepping / Painting Aluminium

Strudul

Need some advice with prepping and painting aluminium. Not a Z body panel, but is to be installed on my Z.

So far all I've done is give them a decent sanding, but the aly has a few deeper scratches. Tried doing some research online, but kinda got lost. Do I need to fill these or can I just use a primer? And then what sorta primer would I want (filler, etch, urethane, epoxy)?

Can anyone with aly experience / knowledge explain the process and recommend some products (including paint etc)?

Cheers

Edited by Strudul

Acid etch primer any motor factor or Halfrauds. Key surface well then degrease. They do make filler primers depending on the depths concerned.

Nothing majorly deep, maybe 1mm. Not sure at what stage you can't get away with just primer...

Not so sure you and rattle cans are a good combination :p

I'm amazing with my rattle cans as long as nobody has ambushed me with shoddy paintwork beforehand. However, there may be a chance to use a spray gun etc for this.

Edited by Strudul

TGM did the repair to my Celica bonnet (some builders dropped tiles on it!) which is all aluminium and they found it challenging, they are top top body work guys too. Hats off for giving it a go but its not easy by all accounts.

• Like 1

TGM did the repair to my Celica bonnet (some builders dropped tiles on it!) which is all aluminium and they found it challenging, they are top top body work guys too. Hats off for giving it a go but its not easy by all accounts.

Which is the hard part, prepping, painting, or a combination of both?

Was gonna say that I could do all the priming / filling / sanding myself and get it painted professionally, but surely once it's prepped, it's the same as painting anything else, you are painting onto primer, not aluminium.

Just realised I was chatting bollocks with regards to the scratches, I think I was tired and just said a small number...

The sheet aly is 1.2mm thick, so the imperfections must only be a fraction of a millimetre :lol:

So I should be fine with etch, high build, then paint? Presumably followed by some lacquer?

Edited by Strudul