Final Drive

get12

Hi,

Im hearing good things about this mod - replacing OEM final drive gearing. Has anyone done it on this site and what do they think? If you would like to know more follow this link that Adam (Z1 performance) posted on my350z:

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread. ... ing+pinion

Im hoping Adam will come along and price up some 3.9 gearing for me including shipping ;)

Graham

Nobody interested?! All this stuff on Im hearing on this forum and the other from people complaining about not being able to increase performance because of the ECU - this mod will increase performance with the only downside being a slight increase in fuel consumption and a reduction in top end speed - something that 99% of us would not notice. Yes red line is reached far easier - increase your RPM limit!

What does everyone think?!

G

Interesting stuff. what's the cost of getting it installed

Not sure Mike how big the job is but im having zorst/flywheel changed imminently so not a big job for me in the general scheme of things :teeth:

Adam from Z1 has them in stock again - im hoping he will advise.

G

i did look into this myself as it seems a good mod. however, the thing that put me off was that even though it improves acceleartion, you have to change gear more. i was thinking that the 15% improvement in acceleration may be cancelled out to a degree because of the extra changes, and that weighed up with the cost of buying one and fitting it. . . i'd love to be proved wrong though :thumbs:

just out of interest, which flywheel you chose?

i did look into this myself as it seems a good mod. however, the thing that put me off was that even though it improves acceleartion, you have to change gear more. i was thinking that the 15% improvement in acceleration may be cancelled out to a degree because of the extra changes, and that weighed up with the cost of buying one and fitting it. . . i'd love to be proved wrong though :thumbs:

just out of interest, which flywheel you chose?

ACT Pro Flywheel - extra-ordinarily lightweight compared to stock and other more popular flywheels and has good rep. I hear that Adam from Z1 has some more in stock :thumbs:

Re extra gear changing - remap ecu to provide more revs - i think one guy increased his rev range to 7600 or something like that. :):thumbs:

ACT Pro Flywheel - extra-ordinarily lightweight compared to stock and other more popular flywheels and has good rep. I here that Adam from Z1 has some more in stock :thumbs:

Re extra gear changing - remap ecu to provide more revs - i think one guy increased his rev range to 7600 or something like that. :):thumbs:

i'm pretty much set on getting jwt flywheel and clutch, partly due to quality and partly due to cheap deals buying both together.

i do like changing gear so would probably give the final drive a go depending on price. can you let me know if you get any decent quotes? maybe cheaper to buy in bulk? i'm a bit wary of remapping the ecu for more revs, as there's always a reason why you don't get them with stock. . .

anyway, just out of interest, below is stolen from 350z-tech

Table of max speeds

Gear. . . .3.5 @6850. 3.9 @6850 . 3.9 @7200

1st. . . . .38.9. . . . . . .35.1. . . . . . . 36.9

2nd. . . . 63.5. . . . . . .57.3. . . . . . . 60.3

3rd. . . . .90.8. . . . . . .82.0. . . . . . . 86.2

4th. . . . .116.1. . . . . .104.8. . . . . . 110.2

5th. . . . .147.1. . . . . .132.9. . . . . . 139.7

6th. . . . .185.6. . . . . .167.6. . . . . . 176.5

not convinced the z would do 185 mph so there is some wasted gear ratio going there. . .

ACT Pro Flywheel - extra-ordinarily lightweight compared to stock and other more popular flywheels and has good rep. I here that Adam from Z1 has some more in stock :thumbs:

i'm pretty much set on getting jwt flywheel and clutch, partly due to quality and partly due to cheap deals buying both together.

i do like changing gear so would probably give the final drive a go depending on price. can you let me know if you get any decent quotes? maybe cheaper to buy in bulk? i'm a bit wary of remapping the ecu for more revs, as there's always a reason why you don't get them with stock. . .

anyway, just out of interest, below is stolen from 350z-tech

Table of max speeds

Gear. . . .3.5 @6850. 3.9 @6850 . 3.9 @7200

1st. . . . .38.9. . . . . . .35.1. . . . . . . 36.9

2nd. . . . 63.5. . . . . . .57.3. . . . . . . 60.3

3rd. . . . .90.8. . . . . . .82.0. . . . . . . 86.2

4th. . . . .116.1. . . . . .104.8. . . . . . 110.2

5th. . . . .147.1. . . . . .132.9. . . . . . 139.7

6th. . . . .185.6. . . . . .167.6. . . . . . 176.5

not convinced the z would do 185 mph so there is some wasted gear ratio going there. . .

Yep Ive seen that.

I might be going for a jwt clutch - glad I went ACT for flywheel over jwt flywheel - jwt is not exactlt svelte, if you know what I mean ;):lol:

3.9's are sold out at present - more in about 3.5 weeks or so (waiting on central 20 shipment to arrive to us with all sorts of stuff!)

we do hvae the 4.08 in stock, which is particularly well suited to 2006 and up cars with their increased rev limiter, or to pre 2006 cars with reflashed ecu for increased rev limiter

Thats what would deter me from getting one as the ECU would have to be flashed and that aint cheap in the UK :dry:

But new flywheel and clutch id be interested in that B)

3.9's are sold out at present - more in about 3.5 weeks or so (waiting on central 20 shipment to arrive to us with all sorts of stuff!)

we do hvae the 4.08 in stock, which is particularly well suited to 2006 and up cars with their increased rev limiter, or to pre 2006 cars with reflashed ecu for increased rev limiter

Thats what would deter me from getting one as the ECU would have to be flashed and that aint cheap in the UK :dry:

I thought you would have had that covered already what with all the mods you've done Jay?!

Interesting stuff. what's the cost of getting it installed

Quote from Adam: get1 - it's about a 4 hour job to do but requires specialized tools to set the clearances and measure the shim sizes you'll need. I have the 3.9 in my own car....I wish the 4.08 was available at the time, I'd love to have it in my car!

:thumbs:

I thought you would have had that covered already what with all the mods you've done Jay?!

not yet mate still researching it, its a big risk to take if it f's up mate, its not like the states where they have it done to a T, over here you say UK spec and they just say, oh erm yeh we will give it a shot, and thats not the kind of approach I want :blush:

not yet mate still researching it, its a big risk to take if it f's up mate, its not like the states where they have it done to a T, over here you say UK spec and they just say, oh erm yeh we will give it a shot, and thats not the kind of approach I want :blush:

nah I was thinking along the lines of replacing OE clutch and flywheel!

Slightly off-topic here - does anyone know how much the OE clutch and plate weighs and if there is anything out in the market to replace it that is lower in weight by a good margin?

Edit: Scrub the above - someone talked some common sense into me - im not going to get any appreciable gains in performance unless the car is used on the track, which it is not. :blush:

• 2 years later...

how did you predict that lee?

I have the 4.08, 3fiddyz can give you an idea of what it felt like in comparison. It works wonders for me on the track.

There is a certain amount of overdrive in 6th as I understand it the further you go from 1:1 the less hp you can use in the higher gears, so, although you gain a significant amount of acceleration from 1st to 5th, 6th for me now is useless. On a UK track the only place ive been where this is an issue was the very very very end of the national straight at silverstone (now the wellington straight and before all that the club straight). I got round this by using bigger profile tyre

I got Abbey to fit mine and they did a cracking job, the only thing I would change if I were to go back is I would probably swap the diff out as well as the final drive whilst its sat there...

For road use I think it would work well, not many people should still be accelerating in 6th on the road if they have redlined the previous gear as it were.

if you need to know anything else let me know.

Adam supplied mine as well, good kit and excellent service :thumbs:

hmm, yoko it depends on the profile of tyre i have on :)

if I had to guess maybe 125 ish... ill let you know at snetterton :thumbs:

christ it must rip up to 125 wiht all your weight reduction , 2 steps lower ratio and a good tune ! bet its still pulling hard then too !

when we were at silverstone there was a guy we took out as a passenger ride (1 of 20 or so) and on the way back to the pits the conversation went like this:

him - so thats running 600bhp i assume?

me - no its 300bhp, class restriction

him - no i know what a car with that much power feels like dont lie

me - no seriously, it just weighs a lot less and is tuned properly

him - ok you believe what you like...

and he walked away convinced i was lying to him... :wacko:

the car pulls hard and has no delay, Abbey have altered the throttle map as well as the engine map so the car drives and delivers the power incredibly well.

The final drive obviously helps this and the weight loss makes a huge difference. Running out of things to remove now tho... ABS is next on the list possibly followed by a hole cutter

The Standard 3.5 final drive is a bit restrictive imo for the car. 6th is only ever going to be a cruise gear so why have such long gearing...

when we were at silverstone there was a guy we took out as a passenger ride (1 of 20 or so) and on the way back to the pits the conversation went like this:

him - so thats running 600bhp i assume?

me - no its 300bhp, class restriction

him - no i know what a car with that much power feels like dont lie

me - no seriously, it just weighs a lot less and is tuned properly

him - ok you believe what you like...

and he walked away convinced i was lying to him... :wacko:

the car pulls hard and has no delay, Abbey have altered the throttle map as well as the engine map so the car drives and delivers the power incredibly well.

The final drive obviously helps this and the weight loss makes a huge difference. Running out of things to remove now tho... ABS is next on the list possibly followed by a hole cutter

The Standard 3.5 final drive is a bit restrictive imo for the car. 6th is only ever going to be a cruise gear so why have such long gearing...

:lol: brilliant story! he will probably report you now for running 600hp instead of 300! :D Maybe he's used to lower torq cars thats not NA :evil:

ormaybe hes just been BS'd by previous owners of cars hes driven. would love to see a striahgt drag vs a stock Z . your gonna be mile ahead till you top out early but youve obviously got your gearing set up right so you just about get there then have to brake for the next turn. :thumbs: