Nismo Exhasut

mattyp370z

Hi, I've just fitted a pair of ART decats to my 2017 Nismo, same setup AFAIK. they improve the stock setup very well, but still a little quiet for some (me!). I am getting a replacement catback system soon. I am told that HFC's are also good. Full decat pipes (not ART) will give even more volume.

Where are you based, welcome to listen to mine if near Dorset :)

The Cobra CBE fits the Mk1 Nismo perfectly and sounds great with the standard cats. Replacing the latter with Berk HFCs will make it very loud and raspy and give some drone at 70mph in 6th, so apply with caution. I have this set up and the tailpipe thunder offsets the drone issue for me, it sounds properly violent!

General consensus is that the ARK Grip is pretty good but beware lowering springs. The Invidia and Milteks are quieter but better for low motorway drone. Apparently the Cobra HFCs are louder than the Berks so that might be a problem.

If you can afford it (I can't) get Motordyne from intake to tailpipe. Best sounding gear out there IMHO.

Edited by Dynamic Turtle

Nub may be along soon, he's the resident exhaust expert these days :lol:

Haha, not an expert at all, I've only owned 370z a few months but I've looked into the exhaust setups.

For Op, it all depends on 1: your budget, and 2: do you intend to get a decat or high flow cat for maximum gains? Or are you only looking for a cat back exhaust.

I'd say the motordyne shockwave is perfectly balanced if you're going to keep the stock cats, although it's over £1900. However, if you then go and get a HFC or decat it then becomes one of the loudest setups possible. There are many cheaper options that will increase the volume.

If you choose one of the quieter cat backs you may find that this alone is not significantly louder, likewise a HFC or decat with the stock cat back won't drastically change the sound - but will noticeably improve it. all of the aftermarket cat backs are going to be noticeably louder than the stock system, whether that's enough for you I don't know. so it depends how loud you want. I suggest you search YouTube for "370z catback", find one or a combo you like and aim to replicate it. You can tell which cat backs are loud just by looking at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by nub
  • Like 1

Haha, not an expert at all, I've only owned 370z a few months but I've looked into the exhaust setups.

For Op, it all depends on 1: your budget, and 2: do you intend to get a decat or high flow cat for maximum gains? Or are you only looking for a cat back exhaust.

I'd say the motordyne shockwave is perfectly balanced if you're going to keep the stock cats, although it's over £1900. However, if you then go and get a HFC or decat it then becomes one of the loudest setups possible. There are many cheaper options that will increase the volume.

If you choose one of the quieter cat backs you may find that this alone is not significantly louder, likewise a HFC or decat with the stock cat back won't drastically change the sound - but will noticeably improve it. all of the aftermarket cat backs are going to be noticeably louder than the stock system, whether that's enough for you I don't know. so it depends how loud you want. I suggest you search YouTube for "370z catback", find one or a combo you like and aim to replicate it. You can tell which cat backs are loud just by looking at them.

I had Stillen cat backhand berk decats on my last 370z, just wondered about the Nismo set up difference

Ah then you must have a good idea, was that too loud for you?

I think Nismos sound different, whether it's due to the stock cat back being different or other differences in the engine but youre looking at the same thing really. You can put stillen and Berk parts on your Nismo too. You can spend hours listening to YouTube videos to get an idea.

I really recommend listening to the systems with Helmholtz resonators, such as Motordyne Shockwave, Ark Grip, ART Decats etc as I think they produce an entirely different note. Your regular stillen and other cat backs are still great they just 'open up' and enhance your existing sound by removing the amount of restriction and silencing. Where's as those resonators are designed to reduce certain frequencies and produce a specific sound. There's plenty happy with their stillens and cobras etc, there's so many options.

Ah then you must have a good idea, was that too loud for you?

I think Nismos sound different, whether it's due to the stock cat back being different or other differences in the engine but youre looking at the same thing really. You can put stillen and Berk parts on your Nismo too. You can spend hours listening to YouTube videos to get an idea.

I really recommend listening to the systems with Helmholtz resonators, such as Motordyne Shockwave, Ark Grip, ART Decats etc as I think they produce an entirely different note. Your regular stillen and other cat backs are still great they just 'open up' and enhance your existing sound by removing the amount of restriction and silencing. Where's as those resonators are designed to reduce certain frequencies and produce a specific sound. There's plenty happy with their stillens and cobras etc, there's so many options.

Well I'm just going to stick some Decats on the stock nismo system. will see where we are at after that.

My last set up was loud but sounded about right.

I can recommend ART Decats, although they're £619 delivered they are different to conventional decat pipes and produce a different sound. Otherwise any decat will do I guess, I think I saw some very cheap used ones on EBay

I had Stillen cat backhand berk decats on my last 370z, just wondered about the Nismo set up difference

I've got the Stillen CBE paired with Cobra HFCS. There's a need for a slight and very straightforward adjustment to the Stillen when fitting to a Nismo, but it's a great exhaust for the Nismo as the tips look similar to the stock tips.

Even a relatively subtle exhaust like the Stillen is a big improvement over the stock Nismo sound. Adding HFCs takes it to a new level without making it obnoxious under normal driving conditions. I've got a cold start vid - I'll post a link to it when I get time.

Edited by sipar69

I can recommend ART Decats, although they're £619 delivered they are different to conventional decat pipes and produce a different sound. Otherwise any decat will do I guess, I think I saw some very cheap used ones on EBay

I love the sound of the art pipes but no way could i pay that amount its not like they pass an mot either

i have invidia with de cats and even with the supercharger its nice on cruise! but put your foot down its a whole diffrent beast

im off out to do some data logging later ill try and mount the go pro to give you an idea

the best part for me with the invidia is the build quality vs price its the perfect mix :)

Invidia looks great value for money, all the different aftermarket brands and types of straight through systems are only going to be different in terms of loudness/volume (as in decibels). Things like the stainless steel grade and thickness, and material within the mufflers will have a small influence on the sound itself but otherwise, I don't think even the design/shape and routing of the exhaust makes any differences UEL headers or similar alterations in the exhaust gas pulses will also create like a burble like on Subarus due to the engine but mainly the unequal length headers. My EP3 K20 header was very slightly UEL and that sounded good on idle because of it.

So aside from systems with Helmholtz resonators and chambers and stock mufflers like the nismo which may have similar resonance chambers within them, ordinary aftermarket cat backs are designed to replace the existing factory system with something louder - 99.9% of the time a stock exhaust system is too quiet out of the factory for us enthusiasts so by making them louder they improve the sound indirectly. Part of that is 'opening up' the exhaust sound and broader deeper frequencies that could not be heard due to excess silencing i.e too many mufflers as manufacturers want refinement, not a noisy exhaust that will lose sales. But again, unlike some factory mufflers, Helmholtz and other resonance chambers that actually manipulate sound waves and frequencies to achieve and target a particular sound or note - all the other aftermarket cat backs are just the same thing, they look different and are just producing the same sound on a scale where lots of big mufflers equals a quiet sound and fewer smaller mufflers equals louder and broader sound. Then you've got everything in between that and different combinations with cat backs at decats etc. Not to say that performance is the same though... Improved gas flow and less back pressure equals more power. normally by increasing diameter and keeping the pipes as straight and free flowing as possible!

But yeah when you understand all this you realise that it's a lot more basic and less complicated than people think. When someone saying "this exhaust sounds really good", or "that exhausts sounds perfect" it's mostly just a case of the volume being increased to what is subjectively desirable to the individual. Likewise, the R&D on straight through systems as far as sound is concerned (not performance) is mostly testing what's the most popular volume of the cat back, most of the time with the consumer retaining factory cat converter. But a decat combo sometimes being a factor or consideration and requires much more silencing to be deemed tolerable if the Catback runs with a decat