Bluetooth steering controls with aftermarket head unit?

Zigi1

Hi everyone,

Just got myself a Z GT last week and wish I'd done it years sooner! Only niggle is the Bose head unit - way out of date now and the usual skippy CD player. Decided to replace this with a Pioneer unit and have been to Halford's to get this priced as there aren't many independent fitters in my neck of the woods and I don't have the know-how to fit myself. Happy with the Halfords price but, while there's no problem with the steering wheel controls for the audio, they reckon the Bluetooth "answer phone" button is a complete no-no with any after-market head unit. (To be fair they're perfectly happy to be persuaded otherwise if there's a workaround.) Does anyone know if they're right about this or is there a fix as I'd really like to keep this feature available on the steering wheel if possible.

Thanks

Zigi1

Thanks for that Z Legend, (good to chat with another "Norn Iron" member). I did find an old thread where someone may have got round this by wiring the source control cable from the head unit to the answer call button but not sure how that would work and the thread's been archived. It'll be a couple of weeks before the unit gets fitted so maybe someone out there can shed some light on that in the meantime. If not, I suppose I'll just have to do without the feature - seems a shame though!

Cheers

Zigi1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can use the steering wheel controls to answer phone calls on the pioneer Sph-da120, I thought you could use all steering wheel controls if you used the wire but maybe wrong.

Im sure you can, most head units come with added extras for that type of thing. These are the guys to call....really helpful if you need advice.

http://www.huets.com/

I looked for a while when upgrading mine but couldn't see a way to retain it. The wiring kit I got has utilised the buttons for source backwards and forwards which actually suits me better. I now hang up the call via the head unit touch screen.

• Like 1