370z Traction Control light coming on and staying on...

JoshC

On a few occassions now when I've been a bit heavy footed, usually going up a hill on greasy roads, I've noticed that the handbrake light will flash on for a few seconds then sometimes the 'traction control off' light will come on and stay on until i restart the engine. It's started happening since changing my front tyres from MPSS to Goodyear Eagle F1's. So different tread pattern front and back also fonts are assymetrical, can't imagine that would be the cause but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Anyone have any ideas why it's happening?

First off make sure the brake fluid is at the max level and then get the codes read , lots of things can cause this and low brake fluid is often the cause for the handbrake light.

Dodgy/failing speed/ABS sensor would be a good place to start looking.

Cheers both! Didn't think to check the fluid so will get that done first, failing that will take it in to get it looked at! :thumbs:

On a few occassions now when I've been a bit heavy footed, usually going up a hill on greasy roads, I've noticed that the handbrake light will flash on for a few seconds then sometimes the 'traction control off' light will come on and stay on until i restart the engine. It's started happening since changing my front tyres from MPSS to Goodyear Eagle F1's. So different tread pattern front and back also fonts are assymetrical, can't imagine that would be the cause but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Quite sure you have answered your own question as to the cause and that is not knowing what tyres you ahve on the rear and how worn they are.

Edited by Ebized

Quite sure you have answered your own question as to the cause and that is not knowing what tyres you ahve on the rear and how worn they are.

The rears still have MPSS tyres with plenty of tread left. Would the mismatch in tyre patterns between front and back have any effect on the traction control system?

I cant see how the traction light coming on and staying on will be anything to do with the tyres fitted , possibly when the tyres were fitted an abs sensor was damaged but as I said you need to see if there are any fault codes on there

I really cannot believe even the worst tyre fitter would damage an abs sensor simply taking wheels off and puttting them on again.

Have you checked the tyre pressures on all 4 tyres?

And you say plenty of tread left on the rears, but how much?

How many miles have you done with the Goodyears fitted?

Have you had a 4 wheel alignment done?

They are two makes of tyres with different construction and compounds and the way the roads are remaining greasy at the current time I can tell you that even having one of the best cars made for traction/grip on 1000mile old MPSS, I'm spinning the wheels a lot more easily these days.😄

I really cannot believe even the worst tyre fitter would damage an abs sensor simply taking wheels off and puttting them on again.

Have you checked the tyre pressures on all 4 tyres?

Yes pressures are all fine

And you say plenty of tread left on the rears, but how much?

Not measured it but lots left, probably 5mm or so.

How many miles have you done with the Goodyears fitted?

Probably on a few thousand miles on the rears

Have you had a 4 wheel alignment done?

Did have about a year ago when the MPSS' were fitted but not since fronts have been changed

They are two makes of tyres with different construction and compounds and the way the roads are remaining greasy at the current time I can tell you that even having one of the best cars made for traction/grip on 1000mile old MPSS, I'm spinning the wheels a lot more easily these days.������

Yeah would expect the TCS to be workig harder and more slipping in these current conditions but first time I've eve had the TCS actually turn off by istelf and stay off after some heavy footed-ness.

Checked the brake fluid myself and it looked a little low but was still sitting somewhere between min and max marks. Took it into my mates garage to plug it in to see if there were any other codes showing up but turns out it was all down to the fluid, so topped it up and not had an issue since. He was surprised himself that the brake fluid would cause the TCS to turn off. Also pointed out that it possibly means pads could be low, so that's next on the list!

Cheers for the advice all! :thumbs:

I wouldn't expect a level sitting at midway to cause those issues, that's just odd or screams of crap design!

Its a Nissan ;) Yep they like to be kept at or very close to the maximum mark

Yeah apparently these cars do like to be fully topped up! Only when someone mentioned it above did I remeber the brake warning light flashing on my old 350 when brake fluid was just slightly low but just seemed a bit more concerning this time that TCS was turning off. Thankfully and easy/free fix it seems as light hasn't come on again since and I have tried to with a heavey right foot, just to be sure :)

Glad you got it sorted Josh :thumbs:

I wouldn't expect a level sitting at midway to cause those issues, that's just odd or screams of crap design!

You surprise me Dan saying that as there have been many posts in the past about the need the brake fluid to be kept fully topped up to stop dash light warnings, on both the 350s and the 370s.