Rob350

Want to wax my car again after 3months,

I'm going to,

1.Wash and dry

2.Clay bar

3.g3 scratch remover paste

4.Autoglym polish

5.dodo juice carnabu wax

Reading the many pages of Google, some people say clay bar will remove the old wax and bedded contaminants. While some people say use a wax remover spray to remove old wax before claybarring.

My question is... will clay bar remove wax? And If not... what is the best wax remover spray?

All so could wax remover spray be used as clay lube?

I trust your opinions over anyone else's lol

Cheers

Edited by Rob350

If you want to shift old product a diluted IPA wipe down should lift anything left behind. Or a product that does the same thing.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/gyeon-q2m-prep-cat9.html

You could also use a dedicated paint cleanser.

http://car-chem.com/store/pre-wax-cleaner-250

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/dodo-juice/lime-prime-lite.aspx

Or you could use a decon shampoo during the wash.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?msg=&catalogId=10151&DM_PersistentCookieCreated=true&langId=-1&categoryId=165682&productId=804711&storeId=10001

TBH I'm quite lazy about this sort of thing so I'd just use my regular shampoo at much higher concentrate than usual and then clay, if needed. Then some Gyeon prep after polish to remove any residue.

No point, tbh. What they clay doesn't remove (and it should remove the wax) the polish (G3) will finish off for you so there's no need to add another product to the process.

But do replace your Autoglym "polish" with something decent though, like the aforementioned Car Chem Pre Wax Cleaner. ;)

Cheers guys, I'll just clay it then straight after wash and dry,

What about using fairy liquid for shampoo, I heard that strips previous products off

iv been using autoglym super resin polish, I thought it was a quite highly rated product

Hi Rob, have a look on Polished Bliss website and browse detailing world if you want to upskill on keeping your car in tip top condition. Autoglym in general (maybe aside from HD wax) is bang average, thats why its knocked out cheap in Halfords. Most of the better stuff is ordered online, Polished Bliss is a site I use regularly as the postage is free and range of products excellent.

Would advise you also dig out Ilogikals testing thread on the forum which goes through many products with reviews.

• Like 1

What about using fairy liquid for shampoo, I heard that strips previous products off

Fairy liquid would strip everything off but you'll have to wear a funny hat and sit on the naughty step if people catch you using it!

Sorry Stu but Fairy Liquid doesn't strip wax (and I still can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would use on a car); it contains surfactants designed to help dry your plates and glasses through sheeting which are left behind on the surface. This affects the water behaviour of the wax giving the appearance that it's been removed when it actually hasn't.

Wash it with Fairy Liquid if you like, test the water behaviour then give it a good wash with a decent car shampoo and you'll see the surfactants have been removed again and the wax is still there.

iv been using autoglym super resin polish, I thought it was a quite highly rated product

As Coldel said, it's average/adequate (at best, personally I think that's being generous...) but there's plenty of other products out there that are infinitely better.

Just been on polished bliss. it's absolutely full of stuff, too much to choose from lol

I'm now thinking of changing my Polish.. is the g3 scratch remover paste that i use similar to Maguires ultra finishing Polish?

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/meguiars-ultra-finishing-polish-205-cat8.html

They both say they remove swirl and scratch marks.

Whats the difference between a "scratch remover Polish" and a some thing like megs "ultra finishing polish"

Could I use g3 scratch remover paste as my Polish for the shine I want?

I'm now thinking of changing my Polish.. is the g3 scratch remover paste that i use similar to Maguires ultra finishing Polish?

http://www.polishedb...h-205-cat8.html

Whats the difference between a "scratch remover Polish" and a some thing like megs "ultra finishing polish"

Could I use g3 scratch remover paste as my Polish for the shine I want?

It depends entirely on what you're using it for/on;

If you're correcting paint, a proper compound polish is always best - Scholl and Menz are both perfect for the soft Nissan paint (which ones again depend on what correction work you're trying to achieve and if you're using it by hand or machine).

If you're just trying to tidy up relatively good paint, G3 will be fine. In my opinion there's better products out there (Scholl S30+, for example) but what you've got will be fine - maybe use that up first before replacing it with something else.

If you're just going for shine with little-to-no need to improve the paintwork then a glaze with fillers would be best - you only have a finite amount to paint to play with after all, why remove any more than you have to?

The Megs 205 you've linked to is again average, in my opinion. It'll do a job, but there's better things out there. It won't do anything different to the G3 you've already got though. In this case 205 doesn't contain any fillers but neither does it contain diminishing abrasives which makes it pretty old hat really and that little bit more difficult to use than S30+ or 85RD which I prefer. To be honest, 205 isn't different enough to what you've go to justify changing, whilst both Scholl and Menz will be that bit easier.

If you're polishing by machine, there's a wealth of pad options out there to consider - happy to offer my insight but I'll wait to find out if you're machine polishing or not first.

If you're polishing by hand you'll want either a Tangerine or Crimson one of these, depending on the level of correction you're aiming to achieve.

To obtain shine, there's about a dozen more stages you can introduce to improve that but before I baffle you with those, what's your budget? What wax do you currently use? How much time/effort do you want to put into it? And finally, what colour is your car?

• Like 1

Cheers guys, I'll just clay it then straight after wash and dry,

AG is gash.

Scholl is good. Meguiar 105 and 205 are very decent and easy to work with.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Cheers for the reply iligikal.

The paint is not so bad, a few swirls but you can barely see them, iv got a silver 350.

I'm detailing by hand, no machine, and want a shiney as possible finish done by hand, im not after spending loads of money on products but don't mind buying a few quality things,

I plan on polishing and waxing etc every three monthsish.

My method of washing my car is..

I use a public jetwash every Sunday. (But not with the brush) I use the options on the jet wash as follows..

I hot shampoo the car

Then high pressure rinse

Then hot shampoo the car again

Then fill a bucket with gritt guard in up with the hot shampoo, (its quite bubbly and really slippy/luby lol if you know what I mean)

Then hand wash the car with a microfibre mitt top to bottom

Then rinse with the hot wax gloss (just to try and top up the protection)

Then towel dry.

I do this every sunday.

I washed, applied some g3 scratch remover to some noticeably scratched areas, autoglym super resin polished, and dodo juice carnabu waxed the car in November ready for winter.

In a monthish I plan on doing it again but want to clay bar this time,

what I wanted to know was...

1. after I wash the car, should i get some wax remover spray to remove the old layer of wax before I clay, polish and wax again?

I have read that when you clay bar it removes the old layer of wax.

2. Should I.... Wash - clay - g3 scratch remover - polish - wax every three months?

Or just polish (for the shine) and wax every three months?

then clay bar once a year?

Thanks for your advice I do appreciate it,

there's so many products out there that say there the best at everything I don't know where to start googling for information lol

Stuff

Polishing by hand isn't going to remove much paint, but even so every three months is probably still a little too aggressive for my liking on Nissan paint - personally I polish once per year (albeit by machine) and glaze whenever it needs it in between. Shine is obtained by making the top surface as clean and flat as possible, a glaze will fill the scratches rather than correct them but at the same time won't remove any paint at all. If I were you, polishing by hand, I'd reduce that to at most twice per year and glaze every other time.

With regards to claying, you don't really want to be doing this too often either and I'd always be looking to polish after claying. You'll probably find once you've done it once and you're keeping the car protected, you won't need to clay more than once a year (twice at a push) anyway though.

With Dodo Juice Wax, look into either Poorboys White Diamond/Black Hole or Auto Finesse Ultra Glaze. Both work exceptionally well and also play well with waxes. When using the glaze, replace both the G3 and SRP with it - ie, wash, optional clay, glaze, wax.

In order to get a proper shine, look into fallout removers (Bilt Hamber Korrosol from PB is hard to beat!) as well. A major wash would be; wash, dry, fallout remover, rinse, clay, polish, optional glaze, wax - say once/twice per year.

Maintenance wash would be; wash, dry, glaze, wax.

No need for wax remover, both claying and polishing will finish off anything on the surface of the paint. I wouldn't bother between claying or polishing either as you'll just be topping up any protection that remains anyway.

Personally I think your biggest issue is your wash stage. If you're getting swirls and/or scratches in 3 months, that's likely to be the cause. The problem with this is that you've only got a finite amount of paint and every time you polish you're removing some more, therefore polishing less often is always best. Unless you've got a respray fund...

I'm not getting any more swirls, I just thought you polished before waxing every time for the shine lol

So I should wash, clay, polish, glaze and wax next month, and once a year from then?

And then every 3 - 6 months I can just wash, glaze and wax over the top of the old wax?

Edited by Rob350

Also when should i use sonnax bsd? I Shouldn't really need it if I'm waxing every 3 to 6 months??

And is a quick detailer spray a similar thing the bsd??

Or is it just a.quick wash/shine for your car say 2days after you've washed it if its not too dirty? Like a waterless wash?

More or less, yes. I'd still wax every three months personally. You'll be hard pushed to find a carnauba wax that will last 6 months.

BSD you can use instead of a wax between annual major washes, although for the relative ease of applying a spray sealant like BSD I'd be looking to top up monthly with that really.

QD and BSD are very different. QD's will give you 10 minutes of protection (or there abouts) whilst BSD is an outright spray sealant. QD's are designed to give quick, short term gloss on a clean car - I certainly wouldn't be using one to wash a car though.