Making a Custom lip spoiler

STYLZ

So after much consideration and a few words with my new paint shop I have decided to make a custom lip spoiler. The idea is for it to be a direct fit on top of the oem with either bond or rivets.

Never done one before in all honesty and I know it's gonna be hard, but I'm pretty good with my hands.

Anyway I just wanted to see if anyone else on here has ever made a custom spoiler at all that can offer any advice or techniques that would help.

I have made a cardboard template that fits directly on top of the oem lip spoiler and have got a rough idea of the end shape and style. This is still in the very early stages and this is the first prototype template but the main question I have, is when I make a more refined template fit to size, how do I go from that to a fibreglass version of it? Do I need to use clay? Can I wrap the template in tin foil and fibreglass on top of the cardboard? Should I use another material for the refined template to fibreglass on top of? Ive searched the interweb and have some ideas of what to do but still would like some more help if possible.

To give you an idea of what it looks like, so far. 😉

20161130_232743_zpsjxolyk3t.jpg

Edited by STYLZ

I'm all for making something yourself but in this instance is it really worth the hassle? :shrug:

I mean with so many aftermarket options available for the Zed, universal spoilers as well as spoilers from other vehicle makes. To that end have you looked at spoilers on other cars that you like, ....what about modifying something from another vehicle to fit the Zed?

Definitely wish you good luck whichever way you go. :thumbs:

😂😂😂LRF4N if only it were that simple.

@GM I've seen a couple spoilers on other cars that I like, only problem is they're on Lambo's and porches so too much ££££ to buy an modify. Not really seen anything else that I like tbh or that looks similar to the look I'm after.

I like the idea of a spoiler cap/extension but I can't find any for the 350z which is why I decided to make one.

I say go for it. If your confident in getting a good finish then fair play- you'll have something unique

If it doesn't turn out you'll know before you damage anything so nothing ventured nothing gained

If it doesn't go to plan you could modify another spoiler that's made for the zed. That would be easier than making a spoiler from a different car fit?

• Like 1

Thanks GM, I think I've watched most of em but that one u posted is the best of em.

I have an idea of how I'm gonna do it so I'll update this post as I go along.

This is the shape I've decided it's going to be but may change slightly. The wings at the sides will be angled down just above the rear lights and should hopefully look like a continuation of my rear louvers.

20161201_204700_zpsdotjynel.jpg

Let us know what yous think?

I've also been looking into different materials to use for the end spoiler ie fibre glass, carbon fibre but also into 3D printing. Been trying to design a 3D file of it on Fusion 360 but I'm still figuring the software out.

The company that can make the 3D spoiler are able to help me create the design with their product design service but they charge £200 for a half day.

Why oh why didn't I stick to graphic design after high school.😥😥😥

Edited by STYLZ