Strange Noise?

RichCox350Z

Afternoon everyone!

I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction here...

For a little while now whenever I drive my 350 DE when its cold there is a whistle coming from somewhere..

Originally I thought it was just the wind catching something, but it happens every morning when I leave home and I'm on my way to work regardless of the weather..

Then I thought it was the small bit at the top of my windscreen where it joins the roof because the little plastic/rubber cover piece flew off! :angry: But I've blocked that up and sealed it.. but the whistling noise is still there..

This morning however, it was particularly cold and frosty as F***! I thought I could even hear it whilst my Zed was on tick over warming up?

When I've eventually got the car warm and been driving a little while it seems to disappear? So, any ideas? Should I be worried or just ignore it?

Any help would be most appreciated guys!

Rich

squeal from a loose/worn belt? pop the bonnet and listen for any weird noises when you start the engine from cold.

Had all belt / clutch / DMF / rad fans / thermostat / coolant hoses changed in July with full coolant flush and change.

I'd still check your aux belts for tension, they will have slackened off a bit now and may need a wee tweak, especially if your only hearing it when the car is cold. If the whistle goes away after the cars been driven / warmed up, then it's most likely the belts.

squeal from a loose/worn belt? pop the bonnet and listen for any weird noises when you start the engine from cold.

Had all belt / clutch / DMF / rad fans / thermostat / coolant hoses changed in July with full coolant flush and change.

I'd still check your aux belts for tension, they will have slackened off a bit now and may need a wee tweak, especially if your only hearing it when the car is cold. If the whistle goes away after the cars been driven / warmed up, then it's most likely the belts.

Or you have tightened them a bit too much and a bearing is starting to complain when cold?

Either way, tightest is not bestest, correct adjustment is what you want. :)

Or you have tightened them a bit too much and a bearing is starting to complain when cold?

Either way, tightest is not bestest, correct adjustment is what you want. :)

Well I'm hoping the mechanic didn't over tighten the belt but he's done all my work so I trust him. I'll have a look tonight if its not too cold and maybe get him to have a listen if they seem fine.

Thanks guys!

• Like 1