Oil Level Reading

Strudul

I know there are loads of threads on this and I've spent ages reading through them, but none of them seem to address my issue specifically and there doesn't seem to be a solution given anywhere...

I keep trying to get an oil level reading, but can't get anything whatsoever. It's not that it's inconsistent, or hard to read like most people seem to report, it just shows that there is absolutely nothing in there.

I always check the oil after leaving it to settle overnight somewhere flat, but there is nothing on the dipstick apart from the odd splodge, but no obvious smear or line. I check multiple times, wiping it down after every attempt, but to no avail.

I've topped it up a few times, totalling 2 litres in about 1700 miles. If I try check it after topping up there is oil all over the dipstick, way above the high marker, but as soon as I leave it overnight, it all seems to disappear.

It's due a service soon, so I don't want to empty and refill the oil to make sure it has enough when it's gonna get done during the service anyway. However I'm concerned that if I keep adding more until I get a reading I will end up overfilling it.

As far as I can tell I don't have an oil leak, so all I can think of is that my stick is not going into the oil properly?

If it helps, I might make a video demonstrating the problem...

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Edited by Strudul

Yup.

- Put in a litre

- Oil reading was waaay over high (even after taking multiple measurements, wiping after each)

- Went for a drive and then left it over night

- Checked it in the morning and it said it was empty

Edited by Strudul

I see two options.

Either drop all the oil out and measure the drained oil and then refill.

or

Add a litre......leave overnight.

If no reading add another and leave til evening. .....then add another until you've added 4.7 litres total including the two already added.

If still no reading go back to option 1 and admit your dipstick is truly demonic as i cant see how if you added nearly 5 litres you wouldn't see a reading.

I'm reluctant to completely drain and refill the oil when I'm gonna be getting the car serviced in the few weeks. I'll definitely be monitoring it regularly after that though.

I'm rather hesitant to keep adding more oil in case I am over filling it and just failing to get a reading. I've heard of dipsticks being bent and not going where they should.

Had the same with mine mate, put several litres in and finally got a reading on the dipstick after being left overnight. Been fine since.

I would suggest dropping the entire lot of oil out so you know exactly how much came out. If its only the 2 litres you have put in then you know its not enough to register on the dipstick. If its 5 litres that comes out then maybe your dipstick has been cut in half lol.

This way when you replace the oil you will know exactly how much you have put in. Cant remember off the top of my head the capacity so double check but for some reason 4.8l rings a bell but please check this first.

• Like 1

If there is the smallest iota of a possibility you are running on low oil, drop the oil out and refill!! For the sake of £40 of good oil it's worth it, compared to chance of a new engine. If doing the oil change is successful, just tell you mechanic not to change the oil as part of the service.