rainsport 3 tread direction.

wilo

hi guys ...

should the new NSF rainsport 3 tyre have the same directional tread as the OSF rainsport 3 ?

i rang the supplier last week and mentioned it but he said they were asymmetrical and it didnt matter.

reason i ask is iv just been out driving very steady and nearly lost the car twice .

something is very wrong.

edit yes traction control was on

Edited by wilo

they're asymmetrical, not directional. so will have an inside and an outside. the two deep continuous grooves should be on the inside and then the diagonal sipes are on the outside. this will give the impression that they go opposite directions to each other, but that's correct!

much like this:vredestein-ultrac-sessanta-mounting.jpg

Edited by brillomaster
  • Like 2

I have never used these but most tyres have inside/outside written on them, have you checked?

yea there fitted so the inside / outside markings are correct but it just looks weird as the tread patern runs backwards on the new tyre

they're asymmetrical, not directional. so will have an inside and an outside. the two deep continuous grooves should be on the inside and then the diagonal sipes are on the outside. this will give the impression that they go opposite directions to each other, but that's correct!

much like this:vredestein-ultrac-sessanta-mounting.jpg

cheers brillomaster

only other thing different than tyres is iv fitted spigot rings .

the new rota gtr was fine but the original 3 rotas were very tight going on the hubs with the spigot rings fitted and had to pull the wheels back to the hubs via tightening the lug nuts one by one .

could this cause the car to slip?

no, that wouldn't make a car slip. you maybe needed to clean up the hub faces/insides of the wheels a bit before fitting them.

Just how new are the tyres? are they properly worn in yet? i'd normally give a new tyre 200 miles of dry running before I expected them to be performing properly, but that distance is probably longer in the wet.

no, that wouldn't make a car slip. you maybe needed to clean up the hub faces/insides of the wheels a bit before fitting them.

Just how new are the tyres? are they properly worn in yet? i'd normally give a new tyre 200 miles of dry running before I expected them to be performing properly, but that distance is probably longer in the wet.

the original rainsport 3 on the OSF has plenty of tread .

the brand new rainsport 3 on the NSF is a week old but only been out today from its fitting last week.

the rears are 6 week old nankangs ...excuse spelling lol

Personally I'd would of replaced both fronts with nankangs then if budget allowed.

darnt spend another penny atm mate ..just forked out 1500 for sevice and mods and then 800 on repairs from hitting that curb .

i strongly suspect id be waking up nutless if I spend anymore before xmas .

Is it the fronts slipping or the rears?

front went on roundabout and rear kicked out on way back on a slight right bend.

both times at 10-15 mph and scared the crap out of me how it lost control at so slow speed

Whilst I accept that a lot of this will be down to brand new tyres on the front (especially the understeer entering a roundabout), get used to the odd balance now you've fitted mixed tyres. This is exactly the kind of thing that I warn people about.

It'll be fine 90% of the time, then it'll do something completely random (especially in changeable conditions) that'll scare the crap out of you, and leave you with zero confidence in the car.

Whilst I accept that a lot of this will be down to brand new tyres on the front (especially the understeer entering a roundabout), get used to the odd balance now you've fitted mixed tyres. This is exactly the kind of thing that I warn people about.

It'll be fine 90% of the time, then it'll do something completely random (especially in changeable conditions) that'll scare the crap out of you, and leave you with zero confidence in the car.

do you meen odd balance as in nearly new RS3 and new RS3 on the front?

everything was fine with this combo before fitting the replacement RS3 on the new OSF rota gtr .

it really was in my mind too slow a speed for it to kick out ....if id of been caning it with traction off i would of expected the out come .

im going to take the spigots off Sunday and see how it feels as wasn't keen on the way they fitted to the original 3 rotas ...im assuming they've been re powder coated at some point hence the tight fit on the hubs with the spigots fitted .

Edited by wilo

Hi Guys...newbie z'er....have put a couple of previous high performance cars into various immovable objects (z3m and 993) in the wet so well worth takaing advice on sudden traction loss.

Have just changed my rear tyres to match the nearly new fronts (mid range falcons) rather than go MPSS rear and falcon front as I really love my new z and would prefer not to break it just yet. When they wear out I'll upgrade.

Paul (Bournemouth)

Don't remove the spigots, it's got nothing to do with them. I've had fairly slow over steer moments in the Zed before with decent 4-5mm Hankooks due to greasy roads, it happens us all, just take it easy until you get rid of the Nankangs and the RS3's are worn in a bit :)

Don't remove the spigots, it's got nothing to do with them. I've had fairly slow over steer moments in the Zed before with decent 4-5mm Hankooks due to greasy roads, it happens us all, just take it easy until you get rid of the Nankangs and the RS3's are worn in a bit :)

mmmm the rear nankangs were fine before fitting the new RS3 tho with no slip unless giving it some with traction off ..might be the new RS3 needing to bed in as you say ...and okay im going to refit the spigots after iv used some wet and dry behind the 3 original rotas that were tight.

id prefer not having to pull the wheels onto the hubs via tightening the nuts .

never sanded powder coat before so hope wet&dry sandpaper does the job

Edited by wilo

mmmm the rear nankangs were fine before fitting the new RS3 tho with no slip unless giving it some with traction off ..might be the new RS3 needing to bed in as you say ...and okay im going to refit the spigots after iv used some wet and dry behind the 3 original rotas that were tight.

id prefer not having to pull the wheels onto the hubs via tightening the nuts .

never sanded powder coat before so hope wet&dry sandpaper does the job

They were fine up until this time when the roads are cold, possibly greasy etc, thats why you lost it. Says more about the conditions that the tyres.

Ref the spigots, did you fit them in the alloy or onto the hub before fitting the wheels?