Tyre choices

Quinster

Don't have a clue about tyres.

Needing 2 tyres for the new wheels.

Looking for 245/45 (for the rear i presume as the other two are 225/45).

Just replacing like for like.

The wheels are 18's for 17's

Anyone help with choosing?

I live in Scotland so it's wet (a lot).

i'll pay up to £150 per tyre, should that be enough for a decent set?

I've never bought tyres for the Z.

Any help appreciated.

Robert

• Like 1

Getting Pirrellis 245/45 18. ®

Bridgestones 225/45 18 (ft)

I He front ones still have a few months in them so I'll just do the tests at the moment.

Gives me some time to try and sell my 17's as well.

Hopefully all fitted tonight.

Ideally you want to match up with what's on the front depending on what they are of course, or replace all four. What are the 225/45/18's ?

Fullruns. Old Fullruns.

Is he still better off buying the same for the rear than buying something decent? Of course he bloody isnt. :wacko:

Sorry, I did notice that you said "if they are decent match up" but where do you draw the line? IMO just buy the best you can afford and try and match the fronts when the time comes, makes much more sense.

• Like 1

Ideally you want to match up with what's on the front depending on what they are of course, or replace all four. What are the 225/45/18's ?

Fullruns. Old Fullruns.

Is he still better off buying the same for the rear than buying something decent? Of course he bloody isnt. :wacko:

Sorry, I did notice that you said "if they are decent match up" but where do you draw the line? IMO just buy the best you can afford and try and match the fronts when the time comes, makes much more sense.

Yes of course it makes sense to get the best you can afford. Not knowing what his front tyres were or life left in them was for all I knew they were brand new and depending how many miles he does they could last for years. I myself wouldn't want to be mixing for any length of time. in 9 years of owning the zed I have never actually worn a set of fronts out, just bought a complete set when the rears were done in , total of three sets in 9 years.

I'm making this recommendation because I don't believe that mixing and matching tyres is a good choice and these tires will fit inside stated budget of 300 quid (for rears only) for the full set.

Barum Bravuris 3HM.

They excel in every area except wear (they wear quite quickly, but hey, they're DIRT cheap), but grip wet and dry is excellent, as well as exceptionally low road noise. If you're not going to the track (or otherwise overheating them), you'd never know they weren't an ultra premium brand.

Disclaimer, if your roads are totally different to my experience, any advice I give about tires is not only useless, but potentially dangerous. When I want a tire review I got to my friend at the tire place down the road, I've known him for years and he knows what works on our roads. I appreciate that it can be extremely difficult to get non-biased advice from someone you don't know personally, you never know if they are pushing an agenda, so I encourage forming relationships with people around you in order to get honest opinions, and a tyre guy should be high on your list of connections to make if you don't have one already.

What I can say though, is that my Barums (I had them on Civic Type R and now have them on the Z, though I haven't done many kms yet, I don't anticipate any issues) are definitely notably better than SportContact5 and any Pirelli that I have used. Only my Michelin Pilot Super Sports I had on the Beamer were noticeably better (at FIVE TIMES the price)

N.B. Barum is a subsidiary of Continental, some are made in Germany, others in the Czech Republic, to Continental's rubber recipe, with their own tread patterns.

Additional Sources... http://www.tyrerevie...ravuris-3HM.htm

Edited by Aashenfox