is this a resonator ?

wilo

That looks to be resonated wilo. ;)

Resonators are box chambers incorporated into the exhaust system, which are used to make the exhaust quieter, by cancelling certain sound frequencies. A non-resonated exhaust system will therefore, give a louder exhaust note and a resonated exhaust system, a quieter exhaust note.

Resonators are box chambers incorporated into the exhaust system, which are used to make the exhaust quieter, by cancelling certain sound frequencies. A non-resonated exhaust system will therefore, give a louder exhaust note and a resonated exhaust system, a quieter exhaust note.

cheers GM .cars in for wheel bearing doing Tuesday so thinking of getting it cut out and bypassed like a decat with some stainless tube .

good or bad idea ?

obviously im wanting the system louder but hoping i have enough backpressure with the big ass box box fitted to the milltek to maintain performance

cheers GM .cars in for wheel bearing doing Tuesday so thinking of getting it cut out and bypassed like a decat with some stainless tube .

good or bad idea ?

obviously im wanting the system louder but hoping i have enough backpressure with the big ass box box fitted to the milltek to maintain performance

You have a 3.5L V6 I don't think back pressure will be an issue in the same way as a 1l corsa with a big bore :lol:

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

good or bad idea ?

You have a 3.5L V6 I don't think back pressure will be an issue in the same way as a 1l corsa with a big bore :lol:

ahh okay ...thought it was only turbod motors that could benefit from straight through systems so good to know that.

do you recon removing resonator will make a difference at low rpm regarding exhaust loudness ? wonder if anyone here has already done this on their milltek or similar systems

• Like 1

Not really. The resonator might lose you 1/2 a pony but it's not noticeable and the noise will make your pants damp :lol:

hahaha that last comment had me and the gf p1ssing our selfs laughing .

damp pants! ....thats enough info for mind made up ;)

• Like 2

Make sure you regularly use leather balm on the seats (if it's a UK GT) otherwise the dampness from your pants will affect the leather.

Also ensure that the replacement section is the correct size otherwise it will screw with your gas flow and nobody likes having their gasses screwed with :o :lol:

Make sure you regularly use leather balm on the seats (if it's a UK GT) otherwise the dampness from your pants will affect the leather.

Also ensure that the replacement section is the correct size otherwise it will screw with your gas flow and nobody likes having their gasses screwed with :o :lol:

mmmm any idea on how I find out the correct pipe diameter needed to replace resonator? ...and yea seats already balmed ready for those oooo err moments haha
  • Like 1

Just the same bore pipe that you already have ? Your just creating a straight through pipe. You can buy unrensonated mid pipes .

okay thanks ZEUS .ill have a look on milltek website but with a window of 4 days i doubt ill get one in time ..plus i recon a genuine milltek will be silly money for whats basically a straight bit of pipe

Just the same bore pipe that you already have ? Your just creating a straight through pipe. You can buy unrensonated mid pipes .

okay thanks ZEUS .ill have a look on milltek website but with a window of 4 days i doubt ill get one in time ..plus i recon a genuine milltek will be silly money for whats basically a straight bit of pipe

If you have a custom exhaust place like "Long Life" or similar they'll easily be able to sort this out for you.

They'll either want to sell you a complete piece to replace it or just cut & modify your current mid section but either way I can't see it costing a lot of money to do.

Good luck. :thumbs:

If you have a custom exhaust place like "Long Life" or similar they'll easily be able to sort this out for you.

They'll either want to sell you a complete piece to replace it or just cut & modify your current mid section but either way I can't see it costing a lot of money to do.

Good luck. :thumbs:

yea i have spoken to a garage owner tonight who said he would just cut it out and weld a 3" straight pipe in place .just hope it gives the desired effect and doesnt end up tinny sounding

i have looked on millteks site and scoured ebay but cant find an unrensonated mid pipe for the 350z ...plenty for vauxhall ..vw etc ...weird

yea i have spoken to a garage owner tonight who said he would just cut it out and weld a 3" straight pipe in place .just hope it gives the desired effect and doesnt end up tinny sounding

I think it will definitely give you the desired effect, ...imo it should sound a fair bit louder without the resonator/silencer in the way.

I had a straight through exhaust system before on an Impreza I had and that was just stupidly loud (granted different cars but the same principal). ;)

• Like 1

I think it will definitely give you the desired effect, ...imo it should sound a fair bit louder without the resonator/silencer in the way.

I had a straight through exhaust system before on an Impreza I had and that was just stupidly loud (granted different cars but the same principal). ;)

now there's an awesome sounding motor.

farther in law has R type scooby and that thing sounds amazing ...couldn't even hear my milltek when following him the other day on A64 ...crazy loud them things but in a good way hah

about to go and pick up the 350 now ..cant wait to see if she sounds better

Very interested to konw what the effect was! Keep us posted!!

quite on the fence tbh.

yes its a lot louder but more raspy .

sounds more like my previous high reving 4 cylinder than a V6 now ...iv kept the resonator just incase

quite on the fence tbh.

sounds more like my previous high reving 4 cylinder than a V6 now ...iv kept the resonator just incase

In that case and if you're not happy I'd say bide your time, start listening to some other Zeds exhausts before ultimately getting yourself a new system.

You'll easily (imo) be able to sell yours on to recoup some of the cost and you'll be a lot happier once you find one that makes the noise you want.

Personally I've always loved the way the Motordyne system sounds....

[media]

[/media]
  • Like 1

about to go and pick up the 350 now ..cant wait to see if she sounds better

Very interested to konw what the effect was! Keep us posted!!

quite on the fence tbh.

Could you take a video of it? You'd be doing others a favour as you're not the first who has bought a milltek and found it too quiet (I did!) And I'm sure you won't be the last. I was tempted to cut out the resonator myself but chickened out and swapped it for an Ark Grip and couldn't be happier. Alternatively you could put the resonator back in and get it decatted which I understand sounds fantastic.