Flying drones - Tips and tricks

Adrian@TORQEN

Will, post some footage here when you have a minute. Did you get used to flying it far away or still worried sick that you're going to loose it? :lol::cry:

Putting it bluntly there were times when i was shatting my pants. Clever me saw an epic waterfall next to a huge lake half way up a glacial road so decided, that looks easy im flying up there. Surrounded by trees half way up the waterfall i decided it was not so clever, so trying to look cool whilst everyone was watching and not panicking i crept it back. The resulting footage is stunning though and despite the heavy wind it was sooo stable

Austria is very strict and you must fly within a limited height and within eye sight so i didnt send it far, but it was far enough

• Like 1

Some good advice to read up the CAA guide lines, I fly 737's for a living. To give you some idea most approaches we fly are only around 3 degrees, some can be as shallow as 2.5 degrees.

5 miles from an airport we are usually around 1500 feet or 460 meters with an airspeed of 165kts or 190mph. Our landing speed is around 140kts or 160mph. With the speeds involved and a plane full of passengers you can see why they are getting stricter on drones.

I don't have much knowledge of helicopters but as your drone basically is a helicopter your might stumble upon something called Vortex ring state. Essentially if you descend quickly the rotors just cycle the air in a circle and stop generating lift. You have to move sideways into clean air to recover. Theres an article on wikipedia about it, might save you a repair bill.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

^^ Awesome. B)

I took my drone out when I went to the beach with the Mrs. All I know now after seeing yours though is that I need a better camera & a better drone. :(:lol:

It was great fun flying it though and I did a few 360 flips but I'm just starting to hit the limitations of it now with the cheap end drone that I have. Can't hardly get any good high altitude flights with it even though I was just sending it up & up, ...just sought of stops so high up and won't go anymore. :shrug:

Yeah I have to say the quality of the 4K footage from the phantom 4 camera is stunning

I decided to upload one of my videos from my drone that I took at the beach just to give you an idea of what my footage looks like. :thumbdown:

Now please go easy on me as I'm using a very basic drone (less than £50 new) which doesn't even have a HD camera but it has been a great quadcopter to learn with as it was very easy to fly straight out of the box.

Feeling suicidal :cry: :cry:

:lol:

Time to upgrade, trust me! :lol:

I know, I know.

Might wait till Christmas though to see what's on offer, ...my budget would definitely not stretch to a Phantom drone. :byebye: Unless I can grab a used bargain on eBay or similar. ;)

I did manage 2 or 3 flips (360's) though with my cheap drone in that video. :teeth: