Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built

350Butcher

Nice build, my goal is 300whp for a non revup. Would be a difficult goal when I see this, maybe some high compression pistons will do the trick for me.

Keep up the updates or are you finished?

Pretty much my favourite build on this forum, you have done all of the work yourself, all mods that have been done serve a purpose. Even after everything you have done the car will still be nice to drive daily without being too harsh and it will be s**t hot on the track aswell, what's not to like.

Power output looks very good considering the car is still N/A plus it will be reliable as you haven't gone crazy.

Perfect balance of performance and looks in my opinion, if you ever want to swap to a fairly stock HR give me a shout 😉

Awesome build thread.

Glad you've enjoyed following the build, making it a better drivers car really has been my goal and as its not a well trodden route to stick n/a there was a bit of hoping it would all come together and work well. It has gone up a fair few notches and quite fierce on the road and I get to find out how good it is on track in 3 weeks at Anglesey......but it was good before so can't wait to get on it there!

Good numbers and looks like a great drive - well done mate :thumbs:

Thanks...........nice when it all comes together and you can start enjoying all your efforts

Been good to read your progress, and even better that you're happy with the results.

Cheers.........been a pleasure sharing the build on this forum

So it's a 50hp gain compared to stock?! Nice. LTH probably gave the biggest gain - up to 30hp. Which mod would you say gave the next biggest gain?

Don't know what a totally stock HR would dyno at but the best result I could find for de-catted and UpRev'd HR on a Dyno Dynamics RR was 320Hp and I'm 23 up on that with a much nicer power and torque line. Think the cams / headwork and manifolds have added evenly to the overall gain.........hard to know what any would have done without the other......and I'll let someone else find out thanks!!

Nice build, my goal is 300whp for a non revup. Would be a difficult goal when I see this, maybe some high compression pistons will do the trick for me.

Keep up the updates or are you finished?

Thanks........It would be very hard to get there but nothing is impossible. If I had of rebuilt the bottom end too I would've used high comp pistons with larger valve clearances to allow for some higher lift and longer duration cams. I would also say you'd have to bin the factory intake and go with the Jenvey throttle bodies too to achieve 300whp but that would be such a nice engine to drive!

I'll keep updates coming as there's always something but it's a long way off.........time to just enjoy it on track and on a few road trips!

• Like 1

Cheers! Really happy with it and given that's 343Hp on a dyno dynamics (heartbreaker) that's a real result! Shame I've not got a before sheet from the same dyno to properly compare too though as the dynapack sheet I have got reads so high in comparison that according to that I've actually lost 9whp after all this work.............best 9 I've ever lost though I can tell you!!!

Yes was gonna mention that.......There are still places available for the Anglesey day I'm booked on to May 29th https://circuit-days...y-view-event-43

I have also booked onto Donington July 28th too http://www.bookatrac.../event-calendar

...........if anyone fancys adding some Zed's to either list??

Aye totally get you there! Have always had the opinion that the dyno is good for tuning and that's it! Get it to make the most and safest power you can on that day on that dyno and jobs done. Forget comparing them as no day and no dyno will ever be the same... had to tell myself that when the MK was tuned anyways haha!

Oooh awesome i recon july 28th is a goer! Will let you know when i book it!

After what feels like an eternity I finally got the car mapped, MoT'd and geo done Thursday/Friday!!

Here goes..........

Being its the first proper drive out since all this work began is was a fairly anxious drive down to Chieveley first thing Thursday morning via a Shell station for a full tank of V-power of course but the car was all good and we arrived at Horsham Developments and I set to swapping out my injectors for the R35 set in the car park

NFJd8j2l.jpg

(I did change the others too)

Then on to the dyno for some results........

@Flywheel

vZyIjozh.jpg

@Wheels

XRJGa43h.jpg

Secretly 100Hp/Ltr was my goal so achieving 98 was OK.........to put that in perspective the Porsche 996 GT3 is 100Hp/Ltr with 360@7200 built at Stuttgart's finest and I was 343@7200 built in a garage somewhere in Warwick.

Forgetting the numbers alone the power curve is so much smoother than previously and the torque line nice and flat and that really shows in the driving. Huge thanks to Jez for his time and skills for making that happen.

Given what I wanted to achieve when I set out starting this latest work I've got to say I am so happy with it, across the ground the car is so much quicker than before and probably more pleasing is just the response of it, it just pulls through the revs and right up to 7200rpm then when you snatch the next gear it drops you straight back into good power again. Paired with its new very tuned N/a sound track it is a very exciting car to drive. On top of the engine mods the other parts I installed along the way are proving very very welcome most of all the new vibra-technics engine and gearbox mounts making the gear change so positive and precise even when really pressing on without introducing any unwelcome noises or vibrations in to the cabin.

If I was to do it all over again I think the only thing I wouldn't bother with was the new head unit I fitted (the one the car came with was chav tastic!) as with its new highly addictive sound track it'll probably never get turned on!

Cheers to everyone who's kept up with the progress of this build its been a pleasure sharing it with you.

Martin,

just trying to work some numbers out.

Did Jez lay your tuned dyno plot over a stock HR run on his dyno? Just that we see around a 20 bhp gain with the mid-range torque gain on a car with just bolt on,s so working this back your only seeing approx 15bhp gain above the bolts on? Would be good to see your lots over a stock car.

Thanks

Looks like it's 23Hp over only decats and remapping if I am not mistaken - based on what Butcher wrote. Not saying it's a small gain past the LTH with all these mods ... we all now that it's not easy and not cheap to gain lots of HP with a NA build.

Edited by GodISmE

After what feels like an eternity I finally got the car mapped, MoT'd and geo done Thursday/Friday!!

Here goes..........

Being its the first proper drive out since all this work began is was a fairly anxious drive down to Chieveley first thing Thursday morning via a Shell station for a full tank of V-power of course but the car was all good and we arrived at Horsham Developments and I set to swapping out my injectors for the R35 set in the car park

NFJd8j2l.jpg

(I did change the others too)

Then on to the dyno for some results........

@Flywheel

vZyIjozh.jpg

@Wheels

XRJGa43h.jpg

Secretly 100Hp/Ltr was my goal so achieving 98 was OK.........to put that in perspective the Porsche 996 GT3 is 100Hp/Ltr with 360@7200 built at Stuttgart's finest and I was 343@7200 built in a garage somewhere in Warwick.

Forgetting the numbers alone the power curve is so much smoother than previously and the torque line nice and flat and that really shows in the driving. Huge thanks to Jez for his time and skills for making that happen.

Given what I wanted to achieve when I set out starting this latest work I've got to say I am so happy with it, across the ground the car is so much quicker than before and probably more pleasing is just the response of it, it just pulls through the revs and right up to 7200rpm then when you snatch the next gear it drops you straight back into good power again. Paired with its new very tuned N/a sound track it is a very exciting car to drive. On top of the engine mods the other parts I installed along the way are proving very very welcome most of all the new vibra-technics engine and gearbox mounts making the gear change so positive and precise even when really pressing on without introducing any unwelcome noises or vibrations in to the cabin.

If I was to do it all over again I think the only thing I wouldn't bother with was the new head unit I fitted (the one the car came with was chav tastic!) as with its new highly addictive sound track it'll probably never get turned on!

Cheers to everyone who's kept up with the progress of this build its been a pleasure sharing it with you.

Martin,

just trying to work some numbers out.

Did Jez lay your tuned dyno plot over a stock HR run on his dyno? Just that we see around a 20 bhp gain with the mid-range torque gain on a car with just bolt on,s so working this back your only seeing approx 15bhp gain above the bolts on? Would be good to see your lots over a stock car.

Thanks

I thought this. For the lift and duration of the cams, long tube headers we should be seeing more than this!

Butcher have you got a full exhaust and de cat to compliment the LTH? Also have you done any induction work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ dude, decats wouldn't compliment the LTH because LTH replace cats! What car do you drive? lol

343Hp is a great result but it depends on the starting point which depends on a dyno. My local dyno usually shows 293Hp for a healthy stock HR and a +10 Hp / + 10 Nm gain with decats.

Edited by GodISmE
  • Like 1

There are still places available for the Anglesey day I'm booked on to May 29th

See you there !!!

:yahoo:

I'll be there in my old boat and an NSX-R B)

Urggghhhh.... Let me count my pennies :lol: .

Would love to make it if i can.

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 1

See you there !!!

Top job Rob........and an NSX-R is pretty awesome!! My brother will be there in his little VXR220 and my friend with his M3 CSL too so a pretty good line up

Willis.........you know you want to

Is it too early to be praying for dry tarmac and sunshine all day!?

• Like 1

See you there !!!

Top job Rob........and an NSX-R is pretty awesome!! My brother will be there in his little VXR220 and my friend with his M3 CSL too so a pretty good line up

Willis.........you know you want to

Is it too early to be praying for dry tarmac and sunshine all day!?

Damn, I jumped the gun - I think it's the week later now as my friend that's coming with me\booking has his anniversary on the 28th :lol:

However, I might try and do both if I can.

The trouble is, I need new rear tyres right now too, and to book my Moscow flights :wacko:

Oooh awesome i recon july 28th is a goer! Will let you know when i book it!

Didn't spot this...............hope to see you there then...........Donny flows so nice and sliding down craner curves never gets boring!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally ticked Anglesey off my circuits to do list........and what can you say! Its an absolute cracker!! We were very lucky on the day as there rain only minutes away all day but never over the track, so after a damp start it soon dried up and we set off. Its a really tricky circuit, loads of very late apex's, off camber, fast, slow bends and all within a relatively short lap. But as a result it makes it really rewarding when you can string some laps together.

Was double happy it was dry because I really wanted to try out the new engine setup and lower final drive and I am happy to say it has delivered on exactly what I wanted from it.....pulling hard all the way to to redline and being able to work the 'box a little more to keep it on song.

Here's a little session that was really good fun as I had my brother chasing me in the first few laps then I let him through and did my best at hanging on to him................can't wait to go again!!

Few pics from Circuit Days

lIK7kXKl.jpg

tZfb9Qhl.jpg

PRn85ypl.jpg

OrxS6c7l.jpg

3BK1JaXl.jpg

And back at the hotel where we were staying with my Brother's VXR220 and my mate Mo's M3 Csl

kBkaalml.jpg

Df3lBZXl.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers! Yeah does sound so good (the camera still doesn't capture it all either) and the engine just pulls so much harder than before with no weak/flat spots like it had previously too so well happy with how it performed.

The cars on Bilstein PSS10's with Eibach bars. Had the rears on 1 from hardest and the fronts only 2 from hardest which was actually pretty good and quite neutral but to be honest the day got warmer through out and I got faster as I learnt the track better so I was constantly dropping air out the tyres through out as they ran hotter and hotter and that vid starts after I'd been out for about 10mins at a good pace already and I think the tyre pressure got up a bit again and the rear started losing grip more and more as the laps went by.

Even managed to make it on to Harrys Laptimer Hall of Fame for my efforts in some quick company!

fHr44vHl.png

It only actually worked for 2 sessions which is disappointing but I'm happy with that and the best sectors making a 1:49 dead

7GVBjmPl.png

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 2

What a cracking read!

This has given me much inspiration for my future 350Z purchase. You've done the correct modifications without detracting for the original car at all!

Something I have always tried to do with my previous cars, and including my current Impreza. With the plan to take the my Z on the occasional track day it's nice to see they take to the task well, as I've personally never come across one on track which is a shame.

IMO midnight blue is the perfect colour for these cars. I can't wait to make a start on a new project!

Cheers!

Glad its given you some ideas for yours, there's not too much I'd change if I did it all over again. Its still completely driveable and usable but with far higher ability on track which was always the goal.

The Zed is a great road car whether its a little drive out or full on euro road trip. And hussling it round an alpine pass or track it steps up the fun again! Before the Zed's I had an Evo 5 for 6years that I took quite far with mods too and although it was way faster A to B or over the course of a lap of a track I can honestly say getting the Zed up on its toes and moving around underneath is so much more rewarding to drive! Hence why I sourced this HR car and did what I've done in this build! It is a shame not more people use these cars on track cos you never see them out but each to there own suppose............but they are missing out!

Well obviously I agree with that........but then I would!!

Enjoy your car mate!!

• Like 1

YES! YES! YES!

Awesome stuff mate! Properly love Anglesey. The 350 looks brilliant and properly makes me want to do the final drive even more than ever watching this!

Nice driving there too! The track is glass smooth and really looks after you doesn't it! As for the understeer comments, Anglesey is widely regarded as an 'understeer track'. Always has been, so i wouldn't do anything drastic or think your setup is too front biased... it's just the nature of Anglesey. Part of the reason it eggs you on and is so confidence inspiring imho!

Hope to see you at Dony soon. Just currently battling to get the MK ready at mo! I bought the 350z to fill a massive void the likes of a kit car can't fill, thinking it would give me two cars that compliment each other so well (MK and 350Z).... What's actually happened is the 350z has been that friken brilliant it's made me wonder if I can really be bothered to have so much money tied up in such an impractical car! As said it would be lovely to see more well used 350s on track! Currently debating with myself to whether i sell both MK and 350 for an Exige eek!

• Like 1

Ha Ha!!

Yeah first time there and properly loved it, great little track with a bit of everything, wish it was the coastal layout though as the cork screw looks nice to drive through. Obviously I've changed quite a bit in one hit but the 3.9 final drive should be high up on peoples mod list as it makes it so much keener and not so frustrating having to pull a really long gear and with the new engine pulling so much harder too it was perfect............and still very good for the long drive up too.

Cheers! The surface is good other than that bump between club and school at the fastest point of the lap! But then that's all the character of circuits isn't it and part of the challenge and the thrill of driving them....we arrived to it wet and I was surprised (and pleased) that it's actually quite predictable still which was a bonus for my first track outing in current spec. It was oversteer that was commented on but as you say it is an understeer track mostly cos everything is such a late apex so you're waiting for the front and to get on the power! That's why I like a firm rear (eh!) so it's happy to move on power and neutralise any understeer through those long tight corners. Did we say its a great track............its a great track

Be good to meet you at Donny. Hope you get the MK sorted if not you've got a decent back up! Totally agree, as I've said before I really rate the Zed in all uses from nipping down the road to big euro blasts to track work......I certainly didn't know it was gonna be that good when I bought one either, I just wanted something totally different to the Evo I'd had for 6 years previously and that I could't compare to in any way so coupe, rwd and n/a V6 engine plus I'd always had a soft spot for them made it an easy decision! I do quite like hussling a proper car around on road and circuit too so I'd always stick with "big" cars and luckily when I want to have a go in a little pocket rocket my brother is very generous with the keys to his Vxr220!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those wheels are perfect B)

Yus! Need to book on Anglesey ASAP! I think it's my fav track actually!

Yeah that 3.9 FD is excellently judged. I think any more and you are limiting it's use a bit. Would love a passenger in your car when we finally get on a track day together, feel it could cost me a sh*t tonne and confirm what i have said I needed to do all along haha!

• 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR build
  • 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built