Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built

350Butcher

Book time for gaskets ie R&R OE manifolds is 5hrs :dry:

Would think that sounds about right but when you're charging dealer rates per hour what's the rush!!

I've got so much to do before these go on anyway that I'll be enjoying those last 5 hours of work on the car to finish it all off

I'm thinking of these for my one (cobra, manifold back).

http://www.decibeldevil.co.uk/

Looks like it would do the job.

I'm gonna see how I get one and then might have a custom y pipe made with larger baffle in it v-banded at each end so I can swap out for cat at MOT time, only if I need to though. Had that on my old Evo5 center section and it was perfect

• 3 weeks later...

(Re PPE) It's going to be LOUD! :) Make sure you measure the HP gain. I've heard they can add 15hp and even more torque!

I'm doing a full custom exhaust this month but only with decats as the first stage. Can't wait!

Edited by GodISmE

(Re PPE) It's going to be LOUD! :) Make sure you measure the HP gain. I've heard they can add 15hp and even more torque!

I'm doing a full custom exhaust this month but only with decats as the first stage. Can't wait!

Yeah about the noise!! I'm hoping its not too loud as track days will be a problem but I thought I'd see how it is after and may need a custom system to get the noise down if needs be

Power wise, from reading all the stuff in the states seems 15-20HP is possible and looking at stock manifolds there's definitely gains to be had there. It will be getting remapped after I've finished but it's getting more than just the manifolds so wont know how much these add on their own.

See the bottom of this link/page for a totally unbiased result of what these can do!

http://www.ppeengineering.com/products/nissan/350Z.php

What else is coming?! When are you next at the Ring, I'm out there May19-22nd.

So its getting:

Stillen Gen 3 long tube intakes

PPE long tube manifolds

Tomei Intake and Exhaust ProCam Cams 272 Deg 10.8mm lift

Tomei Springs

Ported heads with high flow cnc valve seat cut

Billet oil pump gears

Walbro fuel pump and R35 injectors

and to pull through the gears quicker I'm going to put in a 3.9 final drive

Vibra Technics engine mounts and prototype gearbox mount

Then it'll be getting UpRev'd again with Mark@Abbey

No dates yet to go back to the 'Ring, but I am booked on at Anglesey May 29th bank holiday. Friends of mine will actually be there on your dates so keep your eyes out for him is his nice grey Evo 7 and his mate in a Pulsar GTiR

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 1

Sound like you're a bit further down the road to me but ultimately very similar too :thumbs:

What have you done with yours? I'm really hoping all these bits go and work well together, looking forward to the result and the clock is ticking for May and it's a BIG job pulling these engines apart

Oh, my one is merely a shopping list at the moment hah.

(aside from the usual bolt ons).

I'm not intending to pull it until next winter but similar intensions (long tubes, cam's, valves etc). And just general inspection, sort out any issues or some preventative work.

I won't be able to buy tons of stuff due to funds but I'll be getting my hands dirty with it at least.

Good to do as much homework as possible and make a proper shopping list first anyway before work starts.

My family are in Surrey so maybe when the cars all finished you could come and have a look and see if it ticks your boxes and then you can copy my spec over winter 2017/18. Although parts are pricey if you can and are happy to get your hands dirty and do as much as possible then you safe a wedge on labour!

• Like 2

That would be absolutely fantastic!

Yeah I love reading/learning and applying what I'm picking up.

For weekend work, or even a few days more I have a ramp I can use. But I think with this kind of tear down, I'll need a month probably. So I'll look into this too.

When do you pull the engine?

(or plan to start doing the guts of it)

Would love the use of a ramp!! Make the most of that if you can.

Work started Saturday....

etJqQjmh.jpg

0pRcNkLh.jpg

yU3ZNFUh.jpg

aCUgRx7h.jpg

Ys19mMWh.jpg

Then I thought I'd best test fit the manifolds as they didn't actually fit with the heads in place (might have gone if it was up on a ramp but not with the room I had). Its a fag paper job to the steering rod and knuckle but it fits

Sorry for the blurry pics phone + oily hands

S1DGvtOh.jpg

syQRRLfh.jpg

ckxxsz8h.jpg

Just got to get the heads off to the "shop", Steve thinks about 2 weeks to get them back and then it'll all go back together

• Like 2

Awesome stuff !

Please do take whatever photo's you can - really good to see for future reference :)

I presume you're doing this up in Warwick ?

I started pricing bits and pieces up today - crikey it get's scary :scare::lol:

Cheers!

Yeah will try and snap away between spannering.

Yes its all happening at home in Warwick.

Its does add up quickly and there's so many bits that you "should really do that while I'm this far in to it" that it goes up even when you thought the list was finished

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting to think about modding the engine now as well. Was thinking about CWT cams. What made you go for Tomei and how much did they cost?

Also thinking about getting the 3.9 fd and putting it in when installing the LSD next month. Not sure about the flywheel though yet. Do you still have stok DMF and VLSD? I want to get a lightened one but not sure which one.

Edited by GodISmE

Do you mean JWT? C1HR cams?

Went for the Tomei's as I like the specs to give me the results I'm after while still remaining acceptable for normal use and not pushing all the power to the very top end at the expense of a solid midrange. There's also the huge plus that they are as wild as you can go with keeping the factory pistons.

I kept toying with the 3.9FD and probably should have done it before but the reason I went for it now is after this round of work the engine should be making good power all the way to 7500rpm maybe higher which meant I'd be hanging onto the already very long gears for even longer so it was a no brainer to swap it as part of this lot so it pulls through the gears easier and makes the new top end power more accessible.

Re the standard clutch/flywheel setup, bin it asap it weighs a ton and definitely revs freer once replaced for lighter single mass setup. I went for the Xtreme kit through http://clarkmotorsport.co.uk/ which comes as full kit which also replaces the troublesome slave cylinder. I'd recommend it but probably would have gone for an even lighter flywheel to be honest but its a nice kit and so far handling fast road and track fine.

Diff wise I went with the os giken superlock, its a great bit of kit and I couldn't find a bad word on it when I did my homework and for good reason! I did spec mine myself as I didn't want any lock up on deceleration to help with better turn in but the drive out the corners is far better than stock VLSD, no inside wheel spinning at all and no grabby lock up either just clean tidy traction all the way and totally consistent unlike stock too............if you want to stab the throttle and get it locked up and a smoky over steer exit its happy to oblige too!

• Like 1

Sorry, JWT, yes (typo). Looking at this test JWT produce the biggest gains but this was tested on DE. I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff. What is the actual difference between your Tomei cams and the JWT C1HR?

http://www.superstre...-vq-street-cam/

Glad to read that you are happy with the OS Giken and 3,9FD combo because that's what I'm also going for :) I already bought the LSD (1.5) but now I'm reading that it's tuned for stock dual mass flywheel and it should be adjusted to work best with a lightened flywheel. Not sure how though and what is actually affected by this flywheel weight difference when this LSD is installed - probably the way it behaves during decceleration. BTW, how much does your flywheel weigh?

Which 3,9 FD did you get? I'm looking at this one:

https://conceptzperf...z33_p_14604.php

What does this stuff do?

- Ported heads with high flow cnc valve seat cut

- Billet oil pump gears

- Walbro fuel pump and R35 injectors

Edited by GodISmE

It's all ££££ is the short answer.

:lol:

Top of the engine makes the power (intake, cams, valve springs, head & porting etc), guts of the engine supports it (crank, pistons etc).

Sasha's engine build is similar to Michael Gardners.

Read that article a few times, check out the NA build threads on the US forums, and it'll start to click.

Honestly, just reading and reading will help, as you'll just be asking the same things that have been asked a whole bunch already (unfortunately) for years and years.

There's nothing wrong with that IF you're actually going to do it, so many people ask this stuff 100's of times and suddenly realise it's bloody expensive. :lol:

http://my350z.com/forum/na-builds-498/

His FW is about 7kg.

http://www.350z-uk.c...nc-smf-350z-de/

Edited by RobPhoboS
  • Like 1

Went with Tomei cams over the JWT as there was just a bit more info around on them to be honest, they both seemed to offer the same but as I felt I knew more what I was gonna get with the Tomei I went for them.

Yep very happy with the diff, not actually driven on the 3.9FD yet but I'm sure I'll be pleased, on track more than long drives across France/ Germany I suspect but its not a bad trade off.

The final drive in your link is the same OEM nissan part as I used.

As Rob has said with NA tuning its all about the intake / heads and exhausts we don't have a turbo to drive in and drive out 100bhp up so porting work in the case of the HR is about shaping the ports to allow better flow the more air/fuel in more exhaust out the higher the revs the more power! It might only gain 2-3bhp/cylinder but x6 that 12-18bhp and while its in bits I'm having those!!

Billett oil pump gears were just for safety/reliability really, they are a lot stronger than the standard pump gears and theres a few pics of std gears in bit when revving towards 8k rpm so I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be posting a pic up like that myself.

Fueling mods are just that, I think I'll be on the limit of the standard fuel pump and injectors so they are being upped to deal with it. Walbro's are proven as are a set of injectors from the mighty GTR

• Like 1

• 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR build
  • 350Butcher changed the title to Fast road/Track 350z 3.7ltr HR built