Considering a garage extension - any advice?

nixy

I am considering extending my single garage to the side in order to make space for a motorbike and a few tools etc. Doesn't need to be full height and just enough space to fit the bike on a paddock stand and to be able to get around it to do work. I don't necessarily need access from the main garage into it just need access to get the bike in. Do you think this is doable and what do think the cost would be? I wouldn't want anything ugly but it also doesn't necessarily have to match the roof height of the existing garage.

potter.jpg

discuss with your local favoured builder for a cost

so long as the total garage area does not exceed 30m2 (internal floor area) you won't need Building regs - though you'll have to check for planning

All depends on what the caveats are in your deeds and what the local planning allows. For example, mine wont let me change the frontal appearance of my house much or build out front.

At my old house, I built a massive triple garage down the garden and didnt need any planning permissions or anything. Didnt even look at building regs. The main criteria was as long as it was not right up to the neighbours boundry and below a certain height. I got around the height thing by having quite a low angle on the pitched roof, and by building it out of wood the whole garage was classed as a temporary structure. It was seriously big though, the neighbours thought i was building a conference centre. :lol:

All depends on what the caveats are in your deeds and what the local planning allows. For example, mine wont let me change the frontal appearance of my house much or build out front.

At my old house, I built a massive triple garage down the garden and didnt need any planning permissions or anything. Didnt even look at building regs. The main criteria was as long as it was not right up to the neighbours boundry and below a certain height. I got around the height thing by having quite a low angle on the pitched roof, and by building it out of wood the whole garage was classed as a temporary structure. It was seriously big though, the neighbours thought i was building a conference centre. :lol:

oh dear oh dear !!!!!!

• Like 1

As you can see from the pic there's currently a low wall with a fence above next to my garage, behind the fence is just pavement and then lawn. I'm looking at just stretching the existing garage a bit further along (planning permitting). What do you think on cost? Not worried about bringing electricity etc from main garage as I know someone that can do that, just the building costs.

Hi Nixy , as a rough guide £1000 to £1200 per square metre assuming you don't uncover a major sewer or dead bodies when doing the footings. If you want the level of finish Keyser has gone for budget nearer 3k per Sq m. :lol:

The first bit is serious based on construction experience. An alternative and cheaper if it's just for the bike might be something of timber construction, ply lined insulated with 50mm Kingspan and clad in tantalised ship lap on the exterior.

Edited by leonk
  • Like 1

Have you considered getting a motorbike shed instead?

A lot cheaper, doesn't require planning permission, dodgy builders or the like and will give you enough room for the bike, tools & space to work on it. ;)

Plenty of different size ones available too.

Motorcycle-garage-ebay.jpg

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Motorbike-storage-Motorcycle-garage-Secure-Motorbike-Shed-/170809377479

Secure-Motorcycle-shed-314jpg.jpg

Link: http://www.brodco.co.uk/daylightsecure/motorbike-storage/

img_5670066818718.jpg

Link: http://www.trimetals.co.uk/product/motorcycle-garage

:thumbs:

• Like 1

As advised above, you need to check both the planning permission for the house/garage build (seem to be nineties/noughties construction?) to see if there are any conditions taking away normal "permitted development rights" which you would appear to be entitled to - and that can include even simple things like garden sheds. Sometimes (rarely) there are other planning restrictions that could control what you propose, but my advice would be to make a visit to your local planning authority and ask to see the planning permissions for your property and what controls may or may not be in place to restrict what you are looking to do. You might find the answer(s) online but it can be tricky for those not familiar with the planning procedures.

This interactive guide can be helpful: https://www.planning...teractive_house

Best to find out in advance whether you are OK to go ahead with your choice an lay out for materials etc, to then have an enforcement officer paying a visit after a nosey neighbour asks the question of the Authority.....

:)

That picture where the guy is wheeling his bike out looks good but it's around the back and so not really impacting on the look at the front of the house. I don't think I'd want that on show at the front. I'm sure there's a few different things I could consider, perhaps I could get something at the other side of the fence if I could create access to it - maybe through the existing garage. Anyway food for thought and thanks for the advice!