Cosworth Plenum Blog

TDI

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news? :blush:

I've seen it elsewhere - not good for NA applications. 6 bhp at the wheels, 8 at the fly.

Shame its not been posted up here. :dry:

was that with a modified ecu to suit or using the OEM ecu?

OEM I think.

Been looking at the cossie myself and you're right, more gains are achieved through FI than NA (been looking at some threads on my350z.com) and im starting to think that a spacer would achieve the same results and cost 2/3rds less! Lets see what the dyno says though.:)

• 9 months later...
We're still waiting on hard proof of the supposed gains from this unit.. (ie a dyno test before and after installation) but so far havent seen any :dry: ... so its kinda doubtful.

mmm pay me 50% of the cost and I'll do it for you B)

:lol: their webpage (cosworth) states 24bhp against standard.... that's some increase :D My Pure one did 8-9 from standard :scare: I might be willing to take the hit on testing this myself (I'll see what santa brings for Christmas...)

:surrender:

We're still waiting on hard proof of the supposed gains from this unit.. (ie a dyno test before and after installation) but so far havent seen any :dry: ... so its kinda doubtful.

:lol: their webpage (cosworth) states 24bhp against standard.... that's some increase :D My Pure one did 8-9 from standard :scare: I might be willing to take the hit on testing this myself (I'll see what santa brings for Christmas...)

8-9HP? How long was it run before you did the dyno? Did you give the ECU time to learn it was there? There have been lots of rumours that if you dyno the car straight after the mod it will show gains, but then if you do it after say a month, the ECU has learnt the mod and cancels it out. Jury is still out on it, but no one is seeing consistent gains over these things other than the spacer giving more torque mid range.

its a load of bo!!ox :teeth: about time someone just stated the obvious B) no need to thank me ;) Until hard proof is given there is no point in assuming or justifying the possible. The ECu is self learning, and even if you remap it, you could end up losing rather than gaining any bhp. But for looks you cant beat it, looks nice, but is this enough to warrent the price? Depends on buyer

8-9HP? How long was it run before you did the dyno? Did you give the ECU time to learn it was there? There have been lots of rumours that if you dyno the car straight after the mod it will show gains, but then if you do it after say a month, the ECU has learnt the mod and cancels it out. Jury is still out on it, but no one is seeing consistent gains over these things other than the spacer giving more torque mid range.

proved on dyno sheet, anyhow... mine is a JPM model and not a uk one dont think I suffer for that stuff above :lol:

its a load of bo!!ox :teeth: about time someone just stated the obvious B) no need to thank me ;) Until hard proof is given there is no point in assuming or justifying the possible. The ECu is self learning, and even if you remap it, you could end up losing rather than gaining any bhp. But for looks you cant beat it, looks nice, but is this enough to warrent the price? Depends on buyer

Hmm :headhurt: It can't be a load of bollix, sure they are advertising it to gain HP and if you think about it. Better and MORE air and throw in a bit more petrol and ignition timing BANG you got more HP... and the org ECU is SO safe it's ridiculous! Pingu2 will soon be among the tunables ;)

proved on dyno sheet, anyhow... mine is a JPM model and not a uk one dont think I suffer for that stuff above :lol:

Sorry forgot you're tuning with the Haltech, tnought it was with teh OEM ECU :blush:

Sorry forgot you're tuning with the Haltech, tnought it was with teh OEM ECU :blush:

mmm the 8-9 bhp was a gain BEFORE I tuned with the Haltech ECU. I had it in for about 1 month or so before I did the Haltech ECU swapout.

Here it goes:

STANDARD DYNO: (APEXI SLIP IN+ZEES Exhaust) 265BHP

EVENT installed the Pure Plenum Spacer (1 month went by...)

DYNO PRE HALTECH: (APEXI DROP IN+ZEES Exhaust + PURE) 273 +-1 BHP

DYNO HALTECH ECU INSTALLED (BaseMAp+APEXI DROP IN + PURE+ ZEES Exhaust) = 300 bhp

LAST DYNO: (tuned map+apex drop in+pure+Zees exhaust+haltech) 324 BHP

There :thumbs:

:dry:

mmm the 8-9 bhp was a gain BEFORE I tuned with the Haltech ECU. I had it in for about 1 month or so before I did the Haltech ECU swapout.

Here it goes:

STANDARD DYNO: (APEXI SLIP IN+ZEES Exhaust) 265BHP

EVENT installed the Pure Plenum Spacer (1 month went by...)

DYNO PRE HALTECH: (APEXI DROP IN+ZEES Exhaust + PURE) 273 +-1 BHP

DYNO HALTECH ECU INSTALLED (BaseMAp+APEXI DROP IN + PURE+ ZEES Exhaust) = 300 bhp

LAST DYNO: (tuned map+apex drop in+pure+Zees exhaust+haltech) 324 BHP

There :thumbs:

:dry:

bhp or whp? there is a big difference

any scan of the dyno run?

Hmm :headhurt: It can't be a load of bollix, sure they are advertising it to gain HP and if you think about it. Better and MORE air and throw in a bit more petrol and ignition timing BANG you got more HP... and the org ECU is SO safe it's ridiculous! Pingu2 will soon be among the tunables ;)

Hi mate, I should of clarified myself, I meant the increase of BHP they claim it should give in comparison to other makes out there in order to justify its price, 24bhp ?!?!?!?! is a load of twoddle, and we waited ages for TDI to give any support for this, till it came to the point of well youll have to buy it to find out if its true :dry:

hmm thats real bad if they say it like that, again if I went out and bought it and did a pre dyno and an after dyno it would not be believed in.. since I'm not a member for very long here and not on a proven dyno B)

j/k, anyway I think I MIGHT depending on what quotes I'm getting on the plenum go ahead in the new year and replace the pure plenum spacer... (will be up for grabs... :teeth:) Might ask the guy pingu2 is using for a quote seem to be a lot more competivite prices then I get over here... :headhurt:

hmm thats real bad if they say it like that, again if I went out and bought it and did a pre dyno and an after dyno it would not be believed in.. since I'm not a member for very long here and not on a proven dyno B)

The words in bold has nothing to do with the fact of whether its believable or not. We are not a fraternity its an open forum and treat everyone equally, hence why its free to be a member, cos its open to all. And all opinions are taken in to considerations whether you are new or old, we are all equal, except Louis who suffers from hiding in the closet and Sarnie who has little big man syndrome :lol:

If you buy because of its looks and for name sake to have cosworth under your bonnet then good on ya. Its a shame that the person previously who was selling claimed and estimated output without one shred of evidence to back it up. The majority of people would like some evidence into the claimed 24bhp increase in order to entice them into a sale. But for someone to turn around and say well buy it first then see for yourself, is not the kind of truth or dare game most of us wish to play especially at that price.

By all means if you do a dyno test on this and post it on here, Im sure all of us would be interested to see the gains if any and can make our decision from there. ;)

Wasnt there a post by TDi where they said they'd seen gains of only a few BHP? I seem to remember them eventually saying that they didnt think it was worth it. And also that the plenum is more useful for FI applications where it gets those bigger increases? I could be just imagining it, but I'm sure thats what they said.

andlid: As Zedrush said, its nothing against you, but we have been around a while and know what mods give what gains. If someone comes along with something new with gains we havent seen before then we are sceptical. Its nothing against you personally, just that the gains are more than we expect. Hence my comment on the dyno they used. If I came one saying I've just had my car reflashed and am getting +50BHP from a filter and plenum spacer, would you beleive me? I wouldnt beleive myself :lol::headhurt:

Wasnt there a post by TDi where they said they'd seen gains of only a few BHP? I seem to remember them eventually saying that they didnt think it was worth it. And also that the plenum is more useful for FI applications where it gets those bigger increases? I could be just imagining it, but I'm sure thats what they said.

I must of missed this if they did, but I just remember them turning around and saying that if you want to know they werent willing to fit one and we would have to pay out to get it fitted then pay for dyno and see for ourselves, which I didnt think was a good sales angle. If you are selling something and say it gives that kind of gains, then back it up with first hand experience and not wait for the consumer to find out if it does or doesnt imo :blush: