Tyre life

formatzero

Have been looking at a car online with 15k miles,owner says tyres have been on since new.How long till they need replaced,I would have thought they are about done,but not near enough to have a quick look.Likely cost to replace?

Tyres should be replaced at ten years regardless of tread remaining, but should be inspected annually after five years. Given their importance, if there were any signs of cracking or other structural failure I would replace at the five year interval, but judge each case on its merit.

You'd be looking at around £500 - £700 for replacements, depending on what you buy.

Just factor the cost in as likely need to be replaced or move on until you find one with enough tread not to worry you but then something else will concern you and so the cycle continues.

Or just make sure you have enough contingency set aside for such things.

All depends on how its been driven to be fair and the make of tyres. When I bought my zed at 22k miles it was already on its 2nd set of tyres. I replaced them at around 25k, and when I sold it 20k later the tyres were not even 50% worn. Guess it kind of showed how I drove the car compared to its previous owners.