Engine management light scary times for a novice

Spatt

I was driving last night with very VERY Low fuel and the car started to missfire. It had missfired earlier in the week (the last time a drove it) again with low fuel level but it sorted itself out and started running normally. The same thing happened last night and it's running normally and then starts to missfire then runs normally again. :( this time though the engine light is on the VDC light is on and the pass airbag light is on??? If I turn the engine off then back on the VDC and pass airbag light go out but engine light remains.

Also clutch is slipping really badly but could this be adjusted? I have an exedy lightened flywheel and clutch which has seen some hammer so probably needs replacing.. clutch pedal is squeking like mad when hot so maybe need to replace something there? - none of this should be relevant to the engine managementlight though right so separate issue?

I guess get it to a garage and hook up a code reader is the first step and strong possibility I need to do plugs and oil coil pack?

Plugs where changed two and a half years ago at approx 50k I'm now on 85k

Clutch went in 6 years ago - just checked this... probably well in need of replacing

Edited by Spatt

H mate find the pedal dance on here and this will get you the codes put them up and someone will tell you what the problem is but I think you answered it all yourself really, plugs are pretty strait forward to change yourself, but shop around for clutch :thumbs:

The pedal dance with the accelerator gives the codes in the dash display. Then you look up the codes and it gives you the answer. No need at this stage to do a reading with a garage to occur a cost. Could the issue of fuel problem be due to running low fuel and collected debris from the tank, however does not explain pass air bag light. Shop around for the clutch buddy as prices differ. :)

Edited by veilside z

Pedal dance should turn engine light off, do the ECU part first if you like, it happened to me once and u just did the lot, cleared everything. Have you filled up with fuel?

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

Clutch went in 6 years ago - just checked this... probably well in need of replacing

i'm still on the standard clutch and it's fine (85k) and now i've said that, bring on the clutch slip!

Some members are over 100,000k and on the standard clutch.

maybe the previous owner slipped it like a b*tch in 2nd a lot or perhaps launched it from stand still regularly. It's a shame, but yes the clutch can be adjusted.

I could do with finding out about the clutch adjustment as I can't afford a new exedy at the moment. . I launch mine all the time and rev it like a 17 yr old do Yeh it's probably gone.

I have just bought some plugs and I'm going to change them on Thursday... yes running with half a tank now but I went for a drive round the peak district on Sunday with a friend and one minute it's missing and then the next they all come back in.. it's quite funny really sometimes feels like I'm running on 2 cylinders them vroom! They all come back and I floor it hehe

i'm still on the standard clutch and it's fine (85k) and now i've said that, bring on the clutch slip!

Some members are over 100,000k and on the standard clutch.

maybe the previous owner slipped it like a b*tch in 2nd a lot or perhaps launched it from stand still regularly. It's a shame, but yes the clutch can be adjusted.

Previous owner did nothing of the sort. :boxing:

Matt, when you do the pedal dance, film it with your phone so you can refer back to it and figure out the code from the video.

Thats right - in summer 2010. Darren who i bought the car from was on the Wales run with the forum and his clutch went half way round!

Just an update..

All the plugs have been changed and the missfire has come back after engine gets hot so next step is to get it pluged in and hopefully this should tell me which coil pack i need to replace.

Did find oil in the back two plugs so that is a cause for concern also :(

Meanwhile the clutch is still slipping but for now it's driving so I'll have to put that on hold

Did find oil in the back two plugs so that is a cause for concern also :(

That's normal and common on the Z when the top gasket goes (can't remember the name of it - someone will shortly). You can replace them but it depends how bad it is as I ran mine for 150K like that and the amount of oil lost was unnoticeable and there were never any adverse effects.

thanks for the promising comment.. i think its been like that for a while and though i will get a price i dont expect ill be changing them right away

Edited by Spatt