Electric NOS-style Boost

RorySolow

This is more of a theoretical question than a practical one, although I would be more than keen to experiment in the workshop if it seems possible.

Could the 350z be modified to include an electric power boost?

• Keep the 3.5 V6
  • Install electric motors in to the drivetrain
  • Engage them when the throttle is down more than 80%

Rather than turbocharging, supercharging or tuning the combustion engine, which ultimately ends up with more heat under the bonnet; why not opt for a NOS-style electric boost? The motors can sit at the back of the car, taking the strain off the engine bay and potentially adding 50% more torque and HP at the right moments.

Has anyone thought about / tried this?

Once you have installed (at huge cost) the extra batteries, motors and running gear weighing 250kg's - which slows you down whilst off boost of course - how much boost would you need to see it be incremental to performance? How much extra bhp before the extra weight is offset by enough power so you are actually going faster?

Considering the boost won't be used all the time, I'm imagining that the batteries won't be too hefty.

If the Toyota Prius can make it work, I don't see why the Z can't.

The Toyota Prius battery weighs 100 lbs and adds around 30hp for a short period of time , a Turbo adds around 100hp , so you'd need 3 or 4 batteries = 400lbs plus the motors another 100lbs at least and you'd have about 15 seconds of power

• Like 1

anything is possible given enough funds. you could install a fully electric drivetrain if you really had the desire and cash to do it. although as usual the cost of installing batteries and motors and getting it all to work together would be way more than getting a similar amount of power from a supercharger.

you'd have to be really attached to a 350z, and really keen on electric power to make it work, when it would be considerably cheaper to sell the zed and buy a car with desired power output already.

• Like 1

Or just stick a turbo on a polo ;)

As people said, with deep pockets go for it. Would you be able to achieve 400bhp on tap with electric motors like a supercharger for £15k, I would like to see you have a go, would make for a great build thread.

• Like 1

I'm just going to jump on the bandwagon here... Rich's figures don't make for good reading if you're planning to whack a Prius battery in it. Just doesn't seem feasible with the Power to Weight (and of course overall cost) compared to the option of Turbo/Supercharging it.

:ban::dots:

The other thing that need to be considered is charging the batteries , the Prius does this pretty well , that tech comes at a heavy weight penalty (Although is lighter than a zed as well as bigger )

I'n my opinion if you want a nitrous type power boost , fit nitrous , nothing works as well or as cheaply and employ the high tech there to control the system

As a comparison with my 370, the Prius is huge !

20160321_0739101_zpsh4ws0ywi.jpg

Yep, looks like the weight of this kit doesn't quite justify it yet.

An adequate battery looks to weigh in at about 250kg.

A 100HP electric motor also weighs in at 250kg.

Half a ton for an extra 100HP seems too much!

However, a few years down the line and it might make sense...

Super lightweight motors: http://www.jobymotors.com/public/views/pages/products.php

2,000x more power in a porous Li-Ion battery: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/153614-new-lithium-ion-battery-design-thats-2000-times-more-powerful-recharges-1000-times-faster

Isn't this what F1 is doing now? Press the button and get an instant electric boost to overtake.

You'll need to program or flash your ECU so that it will switch on electric motor at throttle position > 80% - or tap into your throttle position sensor.

Then you'll need to design a gearbox/clutch to transfer motor power/torque to your main drive shaft or wheel. Probably a electric mechanism that linked to throttle position. I'm not electric engineer, maybe a PCB circuit can do this? or a fancy Rasberry Pi? Also a mechanism to recharge your battery..

It will be possible, but R&E and parts will cost a fortune.

• Like 1