Poor Orlando in the midst of it.

veilside z

There certainly had been some bad things happening this week for sure. Firstly the young 22 old Christina Grimmie, a contestant from the US version of the Voice, shot dead whilst remaining behind from a concert show to sign autographs. Then we had the mass killings from the Pulse gay club, now this morning there has been reports of an Alligator,dragging a 2 year old child into a Lagoon, who was padding on he waters edge. The parents tried in vain to free the toddler from the Alligator but was unsuccessful. Strange thing is although the venue is well known for Alligators being present, Disney promote the use the lagoon for Water activities. Three things within a week. Life sometimes is unfair, but Certainly Cruel. My thoughts are with the respective families. :( :( :(

they say things happen in threes :(

Such a shame and thats the main lagoon you get the boat over if your going to magic kingdom. its very publicly open. Although saying that the hotel i stayed at in orlando in may had a huge pond out back with an alligator in it nothing to stop it walking up to the back door, i guess for Floridians its normal life.

I will add to this that is the only news we get over here and the trick with all 3 of these are 'pop culture' related, ie Famous singer/youtuber, terrorists and disney.

when over there the local news channels seem to report on shootings or other nasty things maybe 3-4 times a week Granted this shooting is a bit next level

Also looking at into it more there are signs along the 'beach' saying no swimming/stay out of the water. i wonder how close the child was the water edge maybe having a padlle in it

Edited by StevoD

I go to Disney a lot and if there's anything you know about Florida it's that you will always find gators where there is water. Maybe these tourists didn't know that though. All the beaches round the lagoon have "no swimming" signs (although the rumour at the time was because of bacteria) but you can walk up to the water easily.

It is unusual for a gator to go for a human though, maybe as they were a child they were a smaller target and got confused?

I go to Disney a lot and if there's anything you know about Florida it's that you will always find gators where there is water. Maybe these tourists didn't know that though. All the beaches round the lagoon have "no swimming" signs (although the rumour at the time was because of bacteria) but you can walk up to the water easily.

It is unusual for a gator to go for a human though, maybe as they were a child they were a smaller target and got confused?

which make me wonder if the little one was having a paddle and splashing about in the water and thats what intrigued the croc

I stayed at port Orleans resort at Disney and one morning there were Disney security (everyone who's been there will know what they're like! :lol:) everywhere and the pool was shut because there was an alligator in the pool! The pool was only a hundred yards or so from the canals which lead to Downtown Disney. One of the security guards said to me that there was a huge storm on the way so the gator was probably trying to seek shelter, maybe they were playing it down, maybe it was a one off. It's definitely drummed into you that non designated swimming areas are a no go there though.

i think to get in any water way in florida that isnt a man made pool is a dumb idea. im guessing with your instant it happened over night i cant see an alligator just strutting down to the pool mid afternoon whilst it full of people.

I stayed at port Orleans resort at Disney and one morning there were Disney security (everyone who's been there will know what they're like! :lol:) everywhere and the pool was shut because there was an alligator in the pool!

We always stay in Coronado Springs and the lake there has a resident alligator (and some snapping turtles) - definitely not for swimming in!

I read a report a while ago that said the child was a bit in the water, guess we'll have to wait for anything official.

Sad times for Orlando but agree the parents must have been mad to let their child do that. However any loss of a child is desperately sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gutted. Though they can have closure, and the better option to have found the toddler intact rather than the other horrifying thought...what could have happened, its still unbearable to imagine what the parents are going through. This sure is going to have a knock on effect to the future of the place. :( :( :(

It's also a shame for the 5 Gaitors having been caught and cut open looking for evidence seemingly needlessly now. For them it was only nature looking for prey. However in this incident it was remarkable, the toddler was untouched.

Edited by veilside z