W Brace Stay Brackets

kano

Just tried to change my W brace and had severe problems getting the small 12mm bolts out that screw into the stay bracket assemblies. One bolt sheared off and at this point I thought I better have a rethink. I reckon I might need to change the stay brackets too? Here's some pics, you can see how bad they are! And my sheared off bolt.. :(

20160603_205022.jpg

20160603_205029.jpg20160603_205045.jpg

Here's a question. When changing the stay brackets do you have to support the subframe in any way or can you just remove the large nut and two bolts and change each bracket in turn? I'd guess you don't need to support it as it'd be held in at 3 of the 4 corners, best check eh!

Here's a question. When changing the stay brackets do you have to support the subframe in any way or can you just remove the large nut and two bolts and change each bracket in turn? I'd guess you don't need to support it as it'd be held in at 3 of the 4 corners, best check eh!

Yeah, you got to support. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Another question, The w brace to stay bracket bolt size, these are the 6 easily sheared bolts with a 12mm head. What sized bolts are these? They have a "7" on the head but I'm not sure this refers to an M7 bolt. On ebay M7 flanged bolts seem pretty few and far between, shed loads of M6 and M8 though.

Also I've seen people ask if you can do without the W brace. Well it seems you can, as mine has pretty much rotted through totally on one side and isn't providing any support what so ever!

Another question, The w brace to stay bracket bolt size, these are the 6 easily sheared bolts with a 12mm head. What sized bolts are these? They have a "7" on the head but I'm not sure this refers to an M7 bolt. On ebay M7 flanged bolts seem pretty few and far between, shed loads of M6 and M8 though.

Also I've seen people ask if you can do without the W brace. Well it seems you can, as mine has pretty much rotted through totally on one side and isn't providing any support what so ever!

I really should do more research before asking questions. So the 7 refers to the grade of the bolt, not size 7T is equivalent of 8.8 apparently. FSM says a torque spec of 25-29nm, so looking at the general information / standard bold torque table and working backwards, this is an M8 bolt. The pitch is anyone's guess though!

Edited by kano

• 3 months later...

Hi guys. Bit of a thread bump but I'm going to be replacing my two brackets tomorrow.

Any hints or tips for this job, I changed the w brace recently so it should come off easy enough, is it just then a case of supporting the subframe in the middle and doing a side at at time?

What sort of time scale has this taken people to do and did you remove the back wheels for doing? I'm doing this on a ramp so have plenty of access and space.

Thanks shawn

I had the whole subframe off, but should be doable on a ramp with the wheels on, the subframe probably wont budge but best to be safe and support it (i had to yank mine off the studs to get it off!)

Just use plenty release oil and replace all the bolts as they will be rotten (well mine were). Shouldn't be a long job, just 5-6 bolts each kidney bracket. if I remember.

I had the whole subframe off, but should be doable on a ramp with the wheels on, the subframe probably wont budge but best to be safe and support it (i had to yank mine off the studs to get it off!)

Just use plenty release oil and replace all the bolts as they will be rotten (well mine were). Shouldn't be a long job, just 5-6 bolts each kidney bracket. if I remember.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...