Cayman 718

370Ad

So after final deciding on my new car (Cayman 981S) Porsche decide to release a new version which on paper is far better.

For those of you that are not aware the the new Cayman 718 none S is just as quick (if not quicker) than the old 981 S version. Price wise a 13 plate 981S from an OPC is around £45k and a brand new 718 is 40k but realistically 45k after the normal options. Major man maths goes underway and in my head the 718 will now actually save me money over the 981 over 3 years....

I test drove the 718 Boxster today as the Cayman isn't out until Mid August but it has the same engine and that's the main change I am interested in. First impressions are very very good, such a delight to drive and loads of power from very low down in the rev range. The steering is pin point precise and really easy to drive in auto mode for my long commutes.

I am now massively torn as I always said I would never buy a new car and especially one with only a 2 litre engine :|

Opinions greatly appreciated!

See, I found the 718 S to be both brilliant and also rubbish.

The chassis, the handling, the styling, the infotainment stuff: Perfect. Everything works wonderfully and gives you easy as much feedback as the 981 did. And then you come to the engine.

Granted, the demo cars don't have the PSE yet, however the tone at WOT and high revs is dire. It's just like a vacuum cleaner, zero personality at the point in the revs where it should be coming on song. At idle it's lovely, and the pops and bangs are hysterical, but there's no character there otherwise. Is it quick? Yup, more than quick enough for the roads. The PDK 'box is still the best I've ever tried, and it hides the turbocharged nature extremely well. Thing is, that's not a good thing for me. If the engine tone is going to sound like a foghorn, then at least give me some kind of thrill elsewhere. It's the kind of car that will sell bucketloads, but not to people who actually want to drive whereas before it was the go-to car in that price bracket.

No, I wasn't overly impressed with it, which is a shame as after the 991.2 I thought Porsche had got turbocharging in the regular cars nailed on. Right now, the 718 is a step backwards for keen drivers.

See, I found the 718 S to be both brilliant and also rubbish.

The chassis, the handling, the styling, the infotainment stuff: Perfect. Everything works wonderfully and gives you easy as much feedback as the 981 did. And then you come to the engine.

Granted, the demo cars don't have the PSE yet, however the tone at WOT and high revs is dire. It's just like a vacuum cleaner, zero personality at the point in the revs where it should be coming on song. At idle it's lovely, and the pops and bangs are hysterical, but there's no character there otherwise. Is it quick? Yup, more than quick enough for the roads. The PDK 'box is still the best I've ever tried, and it hides the turbocharged nature extremely well. Thing is, that's not a good thing for me. If the engine tone is going to sound like a foghorn, then at least give me some kind of thrill elsewhere. It's the kind of car that will sell bucketloads, but not to people who actually want to drive whereas before it was the go-to car in that price bracket.

No, I wasn't overly impressed with it, which is a shame as after the 991.2 I thought Porsche had got turbocharging in the regular cars nailed on. Right now, the 718 is a step backwards for keen drivers.

Your review is very similar to most on PH. Basically the view that everything is perfect except the engine which as you say is an important part!

I wouldn't place an order until I hear the PSE which the Reading OPC will have in mid June. I didn't like the tone as much as the 981S but the other improvements do still sway it for me.

The thing I hate about Porsche is the bloody options list its ridiculous! Also DAB not being standard now is also mental.

Engine point seems to be the sticking point. Lots of reviews are knocking the car for that engine note despite everything else being pretty much perfect. I suppose if you can put up with the noise its a done deal.

I also promised i would never again buy a new car and let someone else take the hit. It may seem logical that this new car is better value than the older model but would you save even more if you waited a while and got an ex demo 718?

Engine point seems to be the sticking point. Lots of reviews are knocking the car for that engine note despite everything else being pretty much perfect. I suppose if you can put up with the noise its a done deal.

I also promised i would never again buy a new car and let someone else take the hit. It may seem logical that this new car is better value than the older model but would you save even more if you waited a while and got an ex demo 718?

This is very true! A lot of the ex demo's are very highly spec'd too. The problem I have is I need a new car before September for work reasons so I doubt one will become available before then :(

Having recently bought a Cayman S 987.2 I would stick with the 6 pot. I also drove a mates Boxster 987.2 and the top end power wasn't there and it felt very flat but it drove nicely at low revs.

Yeah the new one will be quicker but for me if I was spending that much I would sacrifice a little straight line speed for the sound and driving enjoyment.

I've been to the Porsche garage today. Same story as you by the sounds of it... went to get a quote for a 14-plate 981 Cayman and came away thinking the 718 was a better deal. :cloud9:

I've not heard the engine note yet though...

• Like 1

It's the kind of car that will sell bucketloads, but not to people who actually want to drive

99% of Porsche owners then :p

Personally I fancy the standard over the S model at the moment... both cars have more speed than can be legally/safely used on the road, so I don't feel the need to pay the premium for the S model. Am I wrong, or does this make me one of the 99% now?

:wheelchair: