Bugeye Build - Update 3/7

jumping350

So thought I would throw this up here to track my progress and if anyone may find it interesting.

Since doing the Zed and it not blowing up on the Dyno, I have gained a bit more confidence to try more d.i.y modding (but not with the zed :lol: )

Enter my battered daily driver of a Subaru!

This is how she is now (except crap more paint is peeling)

IMG-20130218-00256_zps5d67114e.jpg

Im looking to do most thing diy to cut down on costs and also refurb bits and pieces along the way

I plan to make it aesthetically pleasing as the engine etc are all good, it just looks like s**te :)

Mod list:

New lights (as the ones on there are awful and very temperamental)

Remove Spoiler and smooth boot (as its causing a leak in the boot)

New Wheels (or maybe spray the ones I have)

Possible drop suspension (if I get new wheels and it looks awful)

Fog Light Covers (cos they are cool)

Fully sand and prep car for repainting (paint peeling on every panel)

Some gauges (I have no gauges)

Do something with the interior (its battered :lol: )

I thought about swapping it for one already done but car drives spot on and where is the fun in that! Also I paid sod all for car so not to fussed if things go majorly wrong I can just get back in the s/c zed and im sure il forget about it quick enough

Stay tuned some boxes have turned up already............ :ninja:

Edited by jumping350
  • Like 1

Couple of bits turned up already

Some fog light covers - which I had to grind the fixing tabs off as the wouldn't locate where there meant to, but a bolt will keep them in place now once sanded prepped sprayed and stickered

20160520_183137_zpstoawvq9o.jpg

Some Morette headlights which I got for an absolute bargain but needs some work thankfully not with the wiring

20160520_183113_zpskejdjsvo.jpg

One off issues which previous owner couldn't sort was one of the lenses had gone off centre and he couldn't get it back in line (hence cheap price)

Excuse pics as also had some Bugs in lens which I didn't like (excuse the pun)

20160520_142120_zpsuigokgjy.jpg

I started to strip the headlight back bit my bit

20160520_183041_zpsupkbrtqz.jpg

After much fiddling and prying I finally got the lens split and a housing bolt had rattled loose allowing lens to slip down, dab of thread lock and rebolted bit of a clean up and bug clearance and Voila!

20160520_183103_zps8vad0waq.jpg

Siliconed back together and back in line and looking clean, a number of fixing tabs had also snapped off so have also used resin to re secure them all so just waiting for them to dry before rebuilding light

• Like 1

Personally if it was me I'd strip it out and turn it into a track day car especially if you got it cheap & don't mind if something goes wrong.

Really interested to see what you do with it still even though I'm not really a fan of these, ...prefer the classic Subarus & hawkeyes. ;)

My mates got a classic and hes always saying how ugly mine looks :lol: I do like the hawkeyes also but as normal there are so many hawkeyes and blobeyes about I just wanted something different. Hopefully the lights and fog covers will make a significant difference to the front the rest of the car back is the same as the other models anyway.

In two minds about stripping and tracking as need another car in case I get problems with the Zed at the track :wacko:

I do love my Bugeye though its been an absolute trooper over the years and without it the zed would of never have got done

Edited by jumping350

My mates got a classic and hes always saying how ugly mine looks :lol: I do like the hawkeyes also but as normal there are so many hawkeyes and blobeyes about I just wanted something different. Hopefully the lights and fog covers will make a significant difference to the front the rest of the car back is the same as the other models anyway.

In two minds about stripping and tracking as need another car in case I get problems with the Zed at the track :wacko:

I do love my Bugeye though its been an absolute trooper over the years and without it the zed would of never have got done

Your mates right. :surrender::lol::teeth:

Seriously though I have seen a few nicely modded "frog eye" Subarus before now but not many. Guess that'll make yours stand out if you get it right. B);)

Not sure what the fuss is, this prepping and spraying malarky is easy..................

20160522_173607_zpsvfhd1wrk.jpg

:lol: :lol: Ok Ok I cheated!!

But found a much cheaper way of respraying the whole car....by buying all the panels off a breaking car in the colour I want :p

Got a total of 9 panels for a couple of hundred quid but had to strip the lot off car today

20160522_173515_zpsjfhke9sz.jpg

Managed to get all 4 doors with wing mirrors, the bonnet, the rear boot, rear bumper and both front wings, all the panels are straight and true with no dings or major scratches and just a bit filthy and can do with some buffing to bring it back to life.

So all I have to do now is prep rear quarters, front bumper, rear spoiler and scoop (will also have to cut hole for scoop as this came off standard car)

20160522_173546_zpsn1we57it.jpg

Even more of a touch none of my windows apart from one is working, so now can just swap doors and get all my windows back :yahoo:

Edited by jumping350

Are you going to put the large rear wing back on then? What about going spoiler-less or just with a small lip spoiler?

IMG_8482.jpg

Also regarding the bonnet scoop, ...does your Subaru still have the standard top mount intercooler?

Are you planning on a FMIC? ...as if so I'd maybe forget about the bonnet scoop or would you prefer it for looks?

Lots of questions I know. :dry::lol::D

I might have to put rear wing back on depending what holes are left behind with that spoiler and where, would be easier to spray spoiler black then possibly having to fill and respray whole boot.

I do like that little spoiler in your pic though and would prefer it if it was smoothed just going with the easier options for now

I do like the scoop guess its just one of those signature things

At least I dont have to sand down the whole bloody car now

Edited by jumping350

Fair enough Darryl. :teeth:

I always had the scoop on my old classic Subaru as I left the top mount intercooler in place but my mate who still has his classic Impreza has actually reversed his bonnet scoop so it points the other way. The reason he's done that is because he has a front mount intercooler so the scoop is not needed but he decided to fit it on the other way so that it helps with cooling as it allows a lot of hot air out from the engine bay as he drives.

Pretty essential with his Subaru as it's over 450Bhp. B);)

Ive seen a few pointing the other way but looks weird as im so used to seeing them the normal way, Ive seem some ludicrous numbers out of some of these scoobys on youtube but expect a lot of wonga has gone into them :wacko:

I spent a lot on my classic but I know my mate who has had his for probably a decade now has sunk serious amounts of money into it. He has a forged engine build on a closed deck block built by Finch Motorsport. B)

I had a bugeye STi which I really really like....... 390hp, stripped, caged, r888, lots of suspension and brake stuff done.... then came the GTR.

I liked the bugeye, because it actually felt like a real car compared to the classic (yes, have had a few of those as well). Things like the doors closing, less wind noise, etc. Also as said, it was different to most of the others around.

My old STi with a STi I bought for a friend

_DSC2158800x600.jpg

Oddly, I have always preferred the bugeye wagons :)

• Like 2

Loving both of those Graham and the colour, Yours must if been a monster! I was thinking of those fog light covers you had also but there quite big,

There's loads of Bugeye wagons about in Surrey I see them everywhere :lol:

Also how long does anyone reckon the DVLA would take to change the colour on my V5?? dont want to change to many panels just yet

_DSC2158800x600.jpg

Graham the Sti you bought for a friend, ...is that a JDM WRX Sti V-Limited Type RA?

The reason I ask is that is the model Subaru my mate has which is running big numbers. B)

Oh & since we're all pic whoring our old Subarus, :D ...here's my96 JDM WRX classic Impreza. B)

258_zps790ddeed.jpg

259_zps4dfb51e4.jpg

068_zpse5593e99.jpg

Hope you don't mind Darryl. ;)

• Like 1

Not at all GM more pics the merrier and can give some inspiration,your old Scooby looks mint.

Dunks that is exactly how I want my car to look, that is awesome you should have kept it !!

Rotas go well on them , im annoyed as I have a spare set of Rotas for the Zed and the bloody stud pattern is different so cant even put them on Scooby (ive a square setup left)

Loving both of those Graham and the colour, Yours must if been a monster! I was thinking of those fog light covers you had also but there quite big,

There's loads of Bugeye wagons about in Surrey I see them everywhere :lol:

Also how long does anyone reckon the DVLA would take to change the colour on my V5?? dont want to change to many panels just yet

It was quite :) a bit laggy, had a new turbo to go on that would have changed it all. A friend drove it once and he managed to rip the bolt out of a sub-box (only 1 bolt and easy to remove for track) while going round a round-about trying to keep up with the GTR.... great little car and absolutely fantastic in the snow!! Up and down hills when everyone else was crashing into hedges and pavements and got my up my old driveway (rather steep) with no hassles.... GTR was just swinging its fat ass left and right, nearly ended up in the hedge.

_DSC2158800x600.jpg

Graham the Sti you bought for a friend, ...is that a JDM WRX Sti V-Limited Type RA?

The reason I ask is that is the model Subaru my mate has which is running big numbers. B)

Oh & since we're all pic whoring our old Subarus, :D ...here's my96 JDM WRX classic Impreza. B)

258_zps790ddeed.jpg

259_zps4dfb51e4.jpg

068_zpse5593e99.jpg

Hope you don't mind Darryl. ;)

Not 100% but it was the limited and its 2 door, so is that the type R instead of type RA? He works on the boats, so asked me to source the car for him, 1 owner, 40k miles, absolutely love condition, mild mods. Its now fully caged, wide-bodied and a rally car (has competed in Poland).

Nice.... I only have printed photos of my 2000 WRX I had in South Africa.... 1 of about 20 in the country. Then had a white sti wagon here and finally the "bug".

Not 100% but it was the limited and its 2 door, so is that the type R instead of type RA? He works on the boats, so asked me to source the car for him, 1 owner, 40k miles, absolutely love condition, mild mods. Its now fully caged, wide-bodied and a rally car (has competed in Poland).

Nice.... I only have printed photos of my 2000 WRX I had in South Africa.... 1 of about 20 in the country. Then had a white sti wagon here and finally the "bug".

Yeah that'll be it then Graham, should be a "version 5 Impreza WRX STi type R V-Limited" if I'm right.

My mates is the same almost but it's the "type RA" which has 5 doors. ;)

Did have a love-hate relationship with my old Impreza unfortunately Graham. :dry: Loved it when it was running, ...hated it when it wasn't. :lol:

Tbh I did have a lot of bad luck with things going wrong on that car but I bought it with no history as it was a Japanese import & even though I checked it over as best I could some things I or anyone for that matter could not have foreseen.

Like the oil pump failing & killing the engine within my first month of ownership or the gearbox destroying itself internally at the drop of a hat! :surrender::blush:

Yeah that'll be it then Graham, should be a "version 5 Impreza WRX STi type R V-Limited" if I'm right.

My mates is the same almost but it's the "type RA" which has 5 doors. ;)

Did have a love-hate relationship with my old Impreza unfortunately Graham. :dry: Loved it when it was running, ...hated it when it wasn't. :lol:

Tbh I did have a lot of bad luck with things going wrong on that car but I bought it with no history as it was a Japanese import & even though I checked it over as best I could some things I or anyone for that matter could not have foreseen.

Like the oil pump failing & killing the engine within my first month of ownership or the gearbox destroying itself internally at the drop of a hat! :surrender::blush:

Its a lovely car :)

Out of the 3 I have had, I have had no major issues.... no engine builds, etc. Leaky shocks and fuel pump issues were the worst.

Made a bit of progress

Bit fiddly but got front wings off

20160526_162821_zpsav6gfkmd.jpg

One side in place

20160526_171750_zps86dwrwmj.jpg

and then the other

20160526_152020_zpsitlgiwb4.jpg

and nearly a whole front end done!

20160526_171911_zpsi7gkfjsh.jpg

I have shiny paint :yahoo:

20160526_171920_zpsmh5qrbgn.jpg

Next up doors to go on