Bugeye Build - Update 3/7

jumping350

Pretty productive weekend though having fitted the front wings the day before I had to take them off again to get front doors off.

So Day 1 began with stripping everything down again :wacko: I luckily had my foreman with me today to help

20160527_152414_zpsbv6px8nv.jpg

Soon had myself back to the point I was the day before and got the front doors and wings off on both sides

20160527_140102_zpsc8xqc9zo.jpg

20160527_160115_zpsqezgckib.jpg

Doors were a bit of a pain to get aligned again properly but got one on (under the inspection of the foreman)

20160527_152440_zpsbje20qyk.jpg

and then got the other one on

20160527_165537_zpsh29eszvb.jpg

At this point someone had given up for the day

20160527_170302_zpslnefktmj.jpg

I was left alone to get the wings back on...starting to take shape now!

20160527_175414_zpsbivqlrcn.jpg

Then decided to trial fit my morette headlights whilst I was on a roll

End of Day 1

20160527_194601_zpsaqqmps9h.jpg

20160527_194659_zpsxkkolopj.jpg

20160527_194706_zpsicpjhlm8.jpg

I was late on Day 2 and Foreman was not impressed

20160528_184608_zpsimcofesg.jpg

But generally got the rear doors on and blacked out front reflectors, rear badges. boot lock, got all windows working, wired up indicators and side lights on headlights (still need to do main beam) and generally put all plastics and bolts back in place

20160529_170536_zpsouedteil.jpg

20160529_170607_zpsolhtdxsr.jpg

Car is about 65% done now :D next up is to cut a hole in the bonnet :wacko:

20160529_170717_zpstlfcpism.jpg

Edited by jumping350
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Been a few weeks and all I can say is im glad i dont have to sand the whole car!

Started on spoiler and after many man hours sanding by hand and not getting anywhere I bought a DA using 80 grit and now the old paint has met its match!

Still a learning process as I keep nicking the spoiler so its going to need a load of filler afterwards now but am getting a good technique now and building confidence

20160617_184405_zpslzvgp3qw.jpg

and as of tonight

20160620_220828_zpsyskdots2.jpg

have actually painted and lacquered the fog light covers but there still drying so cant take a pic yet but more to follow soon including scoop and sanding the rear quarter panel on car :scare:

Edited by jumping350

Thanks mate im slowly getting there and have a real appreciation now for those who do it for a living as there patience must be unbelievable so easy to say sod it and try and speed things up.

The lights make a massive difference I think and at least modernize it by about a year :lol:

im more worried about the buffing and polishing afterwards theres so many products and options and pads I dont know where to start :wacko:

I hope they all come here soon :lol:

Rather than start a new thread might as well state here what im confused about.

1, What pad shall I get to cut the old paint for getting rid of swirls and light marks

2. Whats the best product or what product to get to go on pad for removing swirls and light scratches

3. What pad shall I get after that to use?

4. What product do I get to use after swirl stuff

5.Any other recommendations of pads/products or processes after that to finish

6.Clay bars? what and when :lol:

So need to know above for old swirled marked paint and brand new sprayed paint

Any detailing gurus and links to certain products or pads would be greatly appreciated

Edited by jumping350

New paint or old doesn't really matter, always start with the least aggressive combination and only work your way up if you need to - obviously newer paint should need less attention to correct though.

Pads and smaller pads.

Light compound - for swirls/finishing.

More aggressive compound - for deeper swirls/scratches.

S20 finished quite well on it's own, but if you've stepped up to that on the medium cut pad, you might want to follow up with a second stage of S30 on a light cut pad.

Once you've polished to the desired shine, follow up with an IPA wipedown - such as Prep - followed by your LSP of choice (wax/sealant/coating/whatever). That would be determined by what you're main focus is - looks, durability, ease of use, budget, etc.

Clay bar - this instead (break it in on the windows before touching the paint with it!). Clay after washing the car but before polishing - although don't bother unless you're polishing as you're likely to inflict some marring. If you're claying, you're best off using a tar remover and fallout remover first though...

And after that it starts to get really expensive! :lol:

:wacko: This is going to be fun :lol:

Thanks mate you are an absolute star but your not of the hook yet ...more questions

My DA is 150mm so will get that size or smaller backing plate if need be.

How many pads of each different cutting pad do you think i would need to do whole car?

Same question for light compound scratches how much to cover whole car? Maybe just 1kg of S20?

I like the clay towels Would 1 clay towel be enough for car?

This buffing game is hard work ! I could of twin turbo'd the car at this rate :lol:

Edited by jumping350

Match the backplate to the pads - pads should overlap the plate so get the one that's just a bit smaller than the pads.

Number of pads - one of each will suffice but you'll find yourself washing them out regularly. I tend to stick to two of each.

1kg of compound should last you a good few years of polishing if you're only doing 1/2 cars a couple of times a year. I'd say go for a smaller size of available but certainly don't go for more.

One clay towel will be fine and should last you a fair while.

Also, buffing cloths - buy thousands of them. You'll still run out though... :lol:

Thanks mate some really useful info there im going to load up with the above products and then come back :lol: good thing is once I get the hang of it with the scooby I will hopefully feel confident enough to do the zed (never been polished in my ownership)

On a seperate note I have removed all the paint off the spoiler and now find myself hand sanding to get the bloody shape back :wacko:

Nearly there though and hopefully by weekend a layer of primer to see how fubered it is

• 2 weeks later...

Small update and after messing around with the spoiler for a whole weekend I walked back past the car and took a second glance and realised it does look better without it :lol:

Il just prime the spoiler and sell it now when im ready.

So removed old WRX spoiler and was left with 7 holes on the bootlid :wacko:

I have done quite a bit of reading the last few weeks and decided to tackle the holes myself.

Started off cutting blanking plates for the hole

20160702_161442_zpsipglzyhf.jpg

Where the big hole is at the top there is a hole on either side directly under the plate so had to cut that section out from inside to get to hole, I also had to cut part of the section below it out also or I would never of got the plate with enough surface in the gap.

20160702_172600_zpsesrpkaux.jpg

I then cleaned up the edges and got rid off the rust

20160702_175844_zpsmlkncg3e.jpg

I then JB Welded the plates directly under the hole (my JB Weld skills are pants ...but it aint budging)

20160703_092535_zpskn4khnfg.jpg

Once dried I was left with this so masked off the areas

20160703_113929_zpsqrb9b174.jpg

The point of no return! at this point I sh*t myself and scuffed the panel ready for filling

20160703_114620_zpsziagcvad.jpg

First layer of filler

20160703_120139_zpsapkn0qpy.jpg

After multiple layers of filling and sanding I ended up at this point

20160703_141111_zpsfmma7mrs.jpg

Masked off section again and went through the grades of sandpaper up to 600

20160703_165756_zpsvjudimzu.jpg

Once happy with finish I masked off ready for primer

20160703_175320_zpsinovphql.jpg

Mid way through primer process

20160703_191307_zpss8drsaka.jpg

and boo ya smoothed off spoiler holes

20160703_201722_zpsqjjq08a9.jpg

Next comes the interesting bit....trying to blend and match/laquer/buff the paint so it looks like nothing has happened...stay tuned