Lotus Elise Cup 250

sipar69

Although I'm sticking with the Z for a few years yet, I can't help looking ahead and thinking about what might come next. I love the new Evora 400, but it's silly money.

I'm really liking the look of this though and it's nowhere near as much as the Evora. Since all my driving is done for pleasure and we have an Aygo for the boring stuff, I reckon this might fit the bill nicely when the time comes.

What do you guys reckon to it?

http://www.lotuscars.com/news/engineering/light-speed-lotus-elise-cup-250

Edited by sipar69

Not convinced I'd take one over a fettled S2 Elise SC, but then that might just be because I love the 2ZZ. Aside from that, just about the most perfect 4th* car I can imagine owning. :thumbs:

*Not as in the number of cars owned, as in the fact it's essentially useless apart from weekend blats. Unless you're proper hardcore, of course!

• Like 1

Surprised at your love of the 2zz ekona. I had it in celica guise and whilst entertaining to rev the begeesus out of I did find it a little tiring to drive at times in everyday use.

No experience of it in a lotus, I imagine the lesser weight means the lack of torque is less irritating. I suspect that in supercharged form in a light car it is pretty tasty.

• Like 1

That's the best thing about the SC 2ZZ, you can make excellent progress even if you don't fancy keeping it in lift all the time. I drove the Exige 240 shortly before I changed the 350Z, lovely car to drive but wasn't really right for me at the time.

That was ultimately what made me want to change from the celica. Got a bit tired of either slow progress or keeping it in lift/changing gear all the time, particularly on the motorway. The extra torque in the zed helps a lot. The fact noone asks for a lift anywhere now is just a bonus :lol:

I did sit in an exige when they first came out at a motor show but never driven or ridden in one.

I found the non SC 2zz Elise a little lacking low down and around town you never get chance to hit the second cam which cam make it feel a little slow due to the lack of torque.

If money was no problem then a £40k+ Elise Cup would be on my shopping list but you can get similar performance for a lot less in the form of a SC S2.

Went out in an Evora 400 a couple weekends back, that thing with the exhaust valve open is crazy loud (too loud for most UK tracks). It's very fast but would liked it to have a higher revving engine and I think it's a lot of money to spend, personally I don't think it's worth the asking price, it's still a little cheap inside and has usual Lotus knocks and rattles.

Edited by un1eash
  • Like 1

Interesting replies guys. I'm definitely attracted to the idea Lotus ownership, so I guess I'll see what's available in a few years when I'm done with the Z.

PS I agree the Evora 400 is overpriced but I would love to own one some day.

Edited by sipar69

I still hanker for a VX/Elise, just getting in, settling yourself down, key in, hitting the starter button and the whole car fires up - you really can imagine you are about to tear off into the distance on a race grid when in fact you are nipping to the dry cleaners to pick up some washing. You sit low down, engine revving inches from the back of your head, legs horizontal out in front of you, all the feedback from the road coming through the wheel...takes some topping! Shame you didnt have these thoughts a couple of years ago could have popped over for a spin in the VX!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking ahead too and hugely disappointed with the build quality of the Evoras irrespective of the performance and ride. Even the post 12 models are a joke and couldn't envisage buying one. Exige S is different in that very little can touch them on track. Residuals better too.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'm pretty set on a Lotus next time, just not sure which one. The latest Exige is an awesome car and they look great but I think they might be a bit dated by the time I'm ready to buy. I did read something about an Exige 400 in the pipeline.