P0340 camshaft position sensor bank 1

chreewebb

After my beloved zed being in the garage for a couple weeks having some work done I finally got her back Saturday morning! However as I was driving on the evening suddenly the car died on me however I was going about 10mph in gear 1 at the time with the clutch up so the car felt like it braked but fired back up again (I imagine this was just a bump start because of moving). The CEL, ESP OFF & SLIP lights come up after this happened. The car now takes longer than normal to start up and the lights remain on.

I did the pedal dance Sunday and it was throwing up P0340 which I believe is the Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 1. I reset the ECU however the problem comes back. Is it possible that if the garage let the battery run low it has caused this issue? I've done some research and it seems a common problem so I'm not too worried.

Is it worth taking out the sensor and cleaning it to see if it cures? Also, if I replace Bank 1, should I replace Bank 2 aswell?

I've found some sensors on eBay, the genuine Nissan parts are considerably dearer £60+ as opposed to other brands which are £10 - £20 per sensor. Does it have to be a Nissan one or would the non-genuine sensors work perfectly fine?

Thank you for any help! :)

More or less the same thing happened to me but it was a warm start fail, rather than coasting, then it took ages to fire up on subsequent starts. I got Nissan sensors from Clark Motorsport and replaced both, not had the issue since. I only did both as it was going in for work anyway and wanted to be proactive on bank 2.

In terms of you're question about cleaning it. The failed one looked identical to the replacement when it came out. Nothing to clean off it.

I had the same fault, my thread is here and may be of use: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/70130-odb2-code-0340-cam-shaft-position-sensor-phase/

To summarise when it happened to me the car would drive normally until the engine was warm and then the power would briefly cut and return with the check engine light. The car was difficult to start when warm.

The US cars had a recall for the sensors but the UK cars didn't. I don't think cleaning it will make any difference.

I brought mine from Zmanalex, I only replaced the Bank 1 sensor and 3 years later I've had no recurrence.

bank 1 is near the battery

That's what I thought, from my research I'm pretty sure the sensor for bank 1 is the straight one. However this is stating its the opposite! Don't want to order the wrong sensor.. can anyone confirm what the sensor looks like for P0340?

UPDATE! FIXED!

Just thought I'd let everyone know I've fitted a new sensor (which was a ball ache seeing as everything seemed to be seized on lol!) and she is running smooth as ever! Fixed all the problems.. did the pedal dance to reset my ECU and no lights on the dash as of yet! Fingers crossed will stay this way! :)

For anyone with the same issue, I followed this guide on how to do it as to make sure I was doing it right.. http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-diy/593589-diy-replacing-camshaft-position-sensor-bank-1-p0340.html I also disconnected my battery while I did it just to be sure I wouldn't electrocute myself lol.