A bit of polishing help please

GeorgeW

So the wedding is 11 days way - and my car is obviously my wedding car of choice, and needs to look its best.

Here is the plan of attack for getting it ready:

Rinse.

Snow foam *bilt hamper in AB lance.

Rinse.

Iron X on wheels and rinse wheels.

Wash car *maxi suds II.

Wash wheels with remaining shampoo.

Rinse whole car.

Dry *auto finesse drying Towel.

Full claying.

Polish *I have bought a Dodo Juice buff daddy, using with Carpro fixer one step nano polish.

Glaze *Poorboys black hole.

Wax *HD wax.

Dress tyres.

Polish chrome.

Windows *rain X.

engine bay/interior etc after.

So my issue is the polish. I bough this after good reviews - any my paint being scratched etc. I tried it by hand with a microfibre, and it was such a mess, I couldn't even get it off the car, and one panel is still smudged. I then came to the conclusion it is something which is specific to machine polishing use - which was my excuse to finally buy one. Is there a certain technique to getting this is work at its full potential? I have seen peoples reviews on detailing forums and it really does do a good job, I am just hoping it is just not suitable for microfiber application.

George

Edited by GeorgeW

How are you currently using it? In shade or sun, is the panel cool or hot? How long did you work the polish? How much polish did you use?

Polishing with a microfibre isn't a good technique, half the work is done by the pad as much as the polish. Try it with a polishing pad - you'll be better off using the machine as you've already got it and it'll give you much better results anyway - make sure you work the polish enough that it goes clear on the panel, and done use too much. Work in the shade on on a cool panel.

If you're still having difficulty removing it, use a QD to dampen (damp not wet!) the cloth you're using to remove and turn the cloth frequently. If it's an oiler polishitll clog the cloth quite quickly and you'll just be spreading it over the rest of the panel. When you run out of clean sides to the cloth, swap it out for a fresh one.

It was in sun, but later evening, so not hot sun if that makes sense..

Yes I did wonder about the microfibre, but being the only thing to hand I gave it a go, and it works with the glaze fine. The DA polisher comes with a few pads, and I have just spent the first hour at work researching pads on detailedclean!

Thanks I will have a go, I could do with a test go before the weddings big clean, since I will be in a nervous mood and polish stress may send me into a flurry of panic and sweat. I will post my next attempt on here for reference.

With the pads, start with the least abrasive and only work your way up if you're not getting the desired results.

Applying a glaze is quite different to compounding, with polishes/compounds you're not just slapping it on but rather you're working it across the surface of the panel and a mf cloth just isn't going to do that well. I suspect most of your issues will be because the polish wasn't worked enough as much as anything else.

yes maybe your right, its all new too me and luckily this is the only thing I have had issues getting the hang of.

The package I bought does come with 3 waffle pads - the black being the fine one, which I guess I would go to first, the car isnt in a terrible mess, just swirl marks etc from never having a proper polish so will be a good car to start machine polishing with.

The pads are waffle pads - the chemical guys are of a different style completely being flat with hexagonal in prints on it, is there an advantage to one style of the other?

No need to wash after a clay, I tend to use the water on the car to clay with as well after you've rinsed. After all, you're only going to put more wet stuff back on it to clay.

That doesn't mean you don't need any QD as well, as the car will dry in places. It just means you need less.

The pads are waffle pads - the chemical guys are of a different style completely being flat with hexagonal in prints on it, is there an advantage to one style of the other?

If you believe the marketing, yes. However if you live in the real world, as many people do, then no advantage at all. It often comes down to preference, personally I dislike the CG Hex pads because the grooves tend to clog up really quickly compared to a flat pad. I prefer Lake Country Hydrotech pads myself.

As for Rain-X, literally everything I've tried, and I've tried many, is a considerable improvement over Rain-X. GTechniq stuff is very good but even some of the cheaper ones are equally as good as G5.