Naughties Merc CLKs - Any Good?

Stutopia

I've mate who fancies a 2003-06 CLK or C class, it would be his first dip into a prestige marque. I've already mentioned that older more expensive cars, though cheap to buy now, can be hit with bills for expensive parts. He's not interested in a BMW or Audi or Lexus.

He's not into going fast, so not really that fussed for AMG stuff, just wants a bit of luxury and a classy looking older motor rather than a cheaper, more modern hatch. Would probably be a petrol with a 3ish litre lump.

Any views on these very welcome, I did have a spin through the Merc owners forum but found many threads asking for buyers guides, but not much actual info beyond checking arches for rust.

Thanks

I MIGHT be able to get my hands on our running cost spreadsheet later on, but it was for an E320cdi, 2007 model - From what I can tell, they are identical to the CLK but ours was diesel. Would that help? It has service costs and usually detailed, but I will check.

• Like 1

CLK looked like the E class but was based on the C

Knew a few people with that generation of c class and they were fine. One just sold a month ago with well over 100k on the clock. Nice enough cars for the price. Not sure on servicing and repairs though

Remember my 'worst car I ever owned post' :lol:

Not sure which marques actually had it but glycol contamination in the ATF is very important to look out for. It's caused by the ATF rad being located inside the normal rad. It corrodes and allows coolant into the ATF which knackers the gearbox.

• Like 1

Not sure which marques actually had it but glycol contamination in the ATF is very important to look out for. It's caused by the ATF rad being located inside the normal rad. It corrodes and allows coolant into the ATF which knackers the gearbox.

That sounds dead easy to check for :scare:

That sounds dead easy to check for :scare:

Actually you can check to see what type of rad you have quite easily (there's an image on a merc forum that shows what they look like).

Beyond that the initial signs are a very subtle surge when your driving along under constant throttle.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Do you still want my spreadsheet? I have finally finished editing it but I'm missing last year for some reason - Probably a seperate file, but there was nothing major that went on TBH apart from an O2 sensor for one of the banks and a torn engine mount of some sort ( dad went foot flat from a standstill around a corner... ) otherwise all good for a 8 year old car :)

PM me and I can email it over if you want?

Funnily enough, we traded it in for £4800, the dealer has been trying to sell it for over 3 months now, still not shifted at £6k lol

Edited by Mikevv

Thanks mate, that bit of detail there is useful. I'll drop you a PM.

Service history, HPI and MOT checks all look good on one my mate is pretty close to pulling the trigger on up in Aberdeen. He'll be pleased to hear yours was solid. A lot of car he's getting for £5k, it's only done 60k miles and the only obvious problem seems to be kerbed alloys.