Yoko A048's are not good in the wet - Found out Today!

Kev946

:scare:

I spun over 180 degrees on an island early this morning and was lucky I didn't hit anything and had time to do a 3 point turn to get myself back on course. The look on the face of an old guy in a Jag waiting to enter the island was priceless... :lol:

I found out fortunately the easy way with no damage done. What an idiot I am but guess I've learnt the limit of the tyres now. Can't help wondering though if there was some diesel which caused it. :surrender:

Thanks guys. Slowed me down on the bends from then on. Very very lucky though. There didn't seem to be enough room to spin but I manaed it. Also realised just how quick a mid engine car spins. No warning at all and pretty much nothing I could do once it had started. I wasn't scared though, too worried that I might damage the car. I was so close to the curb of the island with the front and was fully expecting the lip spoiler to hit, then when it didn't started worrying about the next car as the island is raised so I couldn't see what was coming and they couldn't see me... :scare:

according to road test's the A048 is good in the wet :lol: just goes to show you cant believe all you read

"Advan A048

AutoBild - 2005

Comparative Strengths - handling, steering, directional stability

Comparative Weaknesses - noise

Powercar - Feb 2006

Comparative Strengths - aquaplaning

Comparative Weaknesses - tendency to understeer

Sport Auto - Jun 2005

Comparative Strengths - wet braking, grip, aquaplaning

Comparative Weaknesses - tendency to understeer"

Thanks guys for the kind thoughts.

wrt mid engined spins, the mk1 MR2 I had years ago was a fantastic handling car but terrible in the wet - span it a few times (even at 15mph on a roundabout), no warning it would just go and was impossible to stop once it started to spin..

You know how I felt then.

They are described as a Track Day tyre, and known to be crap in standing water as Terv says, but the road was just wet. Maybe there was some diesel that made them let go.

See http://www.yokohamatire.com/advan/default.asp

This is one review on the SELOC Wiki

Unbelievable dry grip on smooth tarmac but the flip side being the price especially when they only come with 6mm of tread from new. Not too bad in damp conditions but focused tread pattern means they are often overwhelmed through standing water. Need warming through well before offering peak performance but I found rear griped hard and use of throttle can wash out the front though improved by running 23psi in the front. Fantastic for track and low mileage summer users but expensive to run daily and scary in the winter.

They key comment there is Scary in Winter... :scare:

Kev almost everyone on LoT uses them. They are bad in very wet but most drive okay when just a wet track. they are the control tyre for the race series.

When not much tread left they are real bad, ie, I can overtake Steve Williams on a motorway when driving a astra and towing at the same time...... be careful if they low.

May also be worth checking pressures.

I have one set of 48 fronts which makes it sit high....

Normally use CR500's or the true Avon slicks (not really for wet weather.)

Not heard much good news about 888 but ask around on Seloc and will get good advice.

Do have someones old 32's in the garage but not much use to you as 13inch.

PS Randy is selling his car http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=STRK

Lucky escape Kev! Get some of those Toyo's on for the winter! ;)

Or just put her away until the summer.... :)

It still rains in the summer where we live.... ;):lol:

:lol: Leave it with be down in the sunny south then! ;)

Or get a tyre machine in the garage!

Lucky escape mate!

If the place is near you, go back to see if diesel, it will out ur mind at rest & you know wether to trust tyres in wet or not

Thanks mate. Yea I thougt that. Will be going round the island on my bike tomorrow so will be super careful.

Lucky escape mate!

If the place is near you, go back to see if diesel, it will out ur mind at rest & you know wether to trust tyres in wet or not

Thanks mate. Yea I thougt that. Will be going round the island on my bike tomorrow so will be super careful.

Didn't there used to be a site where you could report diesel spills? I think MCN set it up iirc.

Lucky escape mate!

Didn't there used to be a site where you could report diesel spills? I think MCN set it up iirc.

Not heard of that. I guess it's the highway agency.