The 2016 BTCC chat thread

So, season kicks off on 2nd-3rd of April at Brands Hatch, and I for one cannot wait!

This year sees the biggest ever grid with 32 cars, and a whopping 11 manufacturers now represented - Audi, BMW, Chevrolet, Ford, Honda, Mercedes, MG, Proton, Subaru, Toyota and Volkswagen. not since the supertouring era of the 90s have so many manufacturers been on the grid, yes the majority of them are hatchbacks, but there is a mix of FWD and RWD, and a few estates and saloons thrown in for good measure.

There are also 5 former champions competing this year, Gordon Shedden, Matt Neal, Jason Plato, Colin Turkington and Andrew Jordan, and truly the championship could go to any of them or even a new champion, there is no clear favourite. The way they championship is set up with success ballast and general balance of performance works really well and produces really tight racing, and there is no lack of overtaking.

Personally i'd love to see Andrew Jordan beat all the manufacturers again and take the overall win for the independents, but of the big guns i'd like to see Plato come in and stomp it with Subaru in their first year out.

Full live coverage will be on ITV4 next sunday from around 10am.

Should be an awesome season this year. I've got a few weekends lined up to absorb as much action as possible. Certainly wipes the floor with F1 in my opinion, although this does split the house somewhat.

I'm a bit of a Plato fan and he's come so close the last two seasons so it'd be nice for him to take it this year in the Subaru. I'd like to see Matt Jackson get off to a decent start specially after the first half of 2015 and hopefully Sam Tordoff can rise through the rankings a bit this season.

Whatever happens it'll have the usual scuffles and it's going to be ace.

I love Plato - yes most of the time he's a bit of a dick and he's getting on a bit, but he's always near the front and the way he scythes through a field is great to watch. he does occasionally employ the 'push to pass' tactic, but he rarely punts people of the track, just edges them out of the way.

Then again Matt Neal is even better, equally good at scything through a field, but with no contact whatsoever!

Mat Jackson is a good shout - very likeable chap who os very fast given a decent car - would like to see him on more podiums this year, he was doing great at the end of 2015.

and that's at Silverstone, arguably one of the more dull races as they use a track that's only got 4 corners!

if you can get along to Rockingham that's a great place to watch - you're high in the stands and can see the entire track as its all contained in the oval. went there for the races a couple of years back and it was great. plus you're guaranteed to see overtakes into the hairpin coming off the banked oval, and the tight tarzan hairpin just behind the pits. And you can easily get on top of the pits and watch from there - admittedly there are no pitstops in BTCC races but gives a different perspective.

• Like 1

ha ha the Plato / Neal rivalry does tend to stir up a bit of trouble but i like the guy. It's all action at the end of the day and although occasionally close to the line he hasn't crossed it in my opinion.

I'm about 50mins from croft so always hit that for the full weekend but i managed Donnington and Oulton last year too.

Matt is definitely a likeable chap, seems to have a decent set up in the focus judging by the rear end of last season but we'll see, always a difficult one to call.