Rear wheel bearing and gaitor replacement - cost?

newbie101

Hi folks,

Hoping someone can help me avoid paying through the nose for some servicing.

My local independent garage has just quoted me ~£500 for parts and labour to replace the near-side rear wheel bearing and the offside rear outer gaitor. Looking at euro car parts it seems a rear bearing is ~£65 and the gaitor about £15. That leaves over £400 worth of labour??

When I asked for previous work the garage reckoned on £50 per hour + VAT, so my question is: does this job really take 7 hours?

I know there are DIY guides on here but I don't have access to a 20t press and I'm not confident about getting the relevant bolts undone on jack stands. That being said, it doesn't look like a 7 hour job with the car on a ramp, so can anyone tell me if these prices are realistic?

Thanks!

newbie101

I hope Alex is right with his hub comment as I changed my bearing,driveshaft at home on axle stands in a couple of hours with the old girl up,on axle stands!

Get the parts from Clark motorsport and if your up for it look on YouTube and do it yourself.

If not go to a garage that won't take the p..s.

• Like 2

The bearing is £80.00 and the bearing carrier circa £175.00.

Nissan dealerships will not just replace the bearing as there Service Bulletins recommend that they swop out the carrier as well.

Expect to pay circa £220.00 for parts and labour in total inc. vat for just a bearing swop out

• Like 1