Interesting tyre review (19'')

zippypooz

I'm interested to see how the Continental Sport Contact 6, Goodyear Eagle F1 3 and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 all compare... since each of their predecessors were brilliant.

Really? I didn't rate the MPS3 very highly at all. I mean, they were okay as far as tyres in the smaller sizes go, but the Neovas were head and shoulders above them.

• Like 1

Worth reading up on MPS as there is a lot of mis-conception out there as to what each tyre does...MPS3 was not a replacement of MP2, and is not a replacement of MPSS

Next up, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4. Many people felt the Pilot Sport name lost its direction as theMichelin Pilot Sport 3 didn't replace the Pilot Sport 2, but the slightly more touring bias Pilot Exalto 2. The true replacement for the Pilot Sport 2 came in the shape of the well regarded Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

With the launch of the Pilot Sport 4, Michelin are aiming to get the Pilot Sport name back on track. The new tyre borrows lessons learnt from both the Pilot Super Sport, and Michelins involvement with the Formula E race series. This has resulted in a tyre which has a much more performance focus than the Pilot Sport 3, but still retails excellent tread life, a strong wet performance and the good levels of comfort we've come to expect from a premium tyre.

As for the fate of the much loved Pilot Super Sport? This tyre will continue to sit above the Pilot Sport 4, catering to those of us who want an even higher level of performance in 19 inches and above.

• Like 1

I mean the MPSS, nobody likes the MPS3. I believe the MPS4 is supposed to blend the high performance of the MPSS with the confort and longevity of the MPS3.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-Press-Release.htm

comes in all the right sizes, might well give these a go on the beemer when I've got through my Eagle F1s.

Worth reading up on MPS as there is a lot of mis-conception out there as to what each tyre does...MPS3 was not a replacement of MP2, and is not a replacement of MPSS

My point exactly.

I didn't realise Brillo was referring to the MPSS though. Given how long the MPSS last, I can't see any reason for it to be worth taking a drop in performance for tyres that last a ridiculous amount, rather than just an incredible amount.

I have to say I hated the Bridgestones when I had them on the 370 (Prior to fitting MPSS) and I have the Potenza S001 as a factory fit on my Octavia VRS and they are dreadful also , they are ok in the warmer weather but I have never had a tyre this bad in the cold and wet , I have to be very gentle with it , it will spin up in 3rd if you are rough

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Michelin confirm in EVO this month that the MPS4 *is* the replacement for the MPSS!

They're dropping 17 & 18 inch MPSS this year, which massively affects 350 owners (and me!), although 19+ will continue for now. They've dropped the dual compound too, just a regular silica mix for now.

Interesting times ahead. I remain unconvinced.

• Like 2

MPSC2 are already out, have been for a couple of years.

Looks like there won't be an MPSS successor as such, as the tyre was so good they didn't even bother with a mid-term revision. They will still make the MPSS but only in OEM application sizes, so the new Focus RS will have a stock for at least the next five years I'd guess. Anything else than came on them from the factory too.