Hacking your Car - Cyber Security.

Pritchard

There have been some high profile demonstrations in the last couple of years of Car Hacking.

by accessing the diagnostic port you can manipulate all sorts of car features. Just think of your ECU tuning for example, turning off warning lights and changing fueling. Theres alot more you can do - Park Assist? Yes, lets turn the car in any direction we want by using the Steering mechanisms, Cruise, and onboard cameras :)

You think Driverless Cars are safe? Nope. already hacked and made to crash with a simple Raspberry Pi.

This little blog post by someone with an awesome name got posted today, worth a read. :)

Are the wheels going to come off the connected car? You auto know.

Edited by Pritchard

Interesting, although i see no benefit or gain apart from someone wishing to cause possible road chaos.

true,

but if you can control central locking, driving direction, speed and braking ability from your sofa..... its an instant Suicide Bomber. Or, have you caught the wife cheating? The car has now taken her hostage and you are driving her off the end of that bridge while she thinks shes driving home!

edit - poor english lol.

Edited by Pritchard

Interesting, although i see no benefit or gain apart from someone wishing to cause possible road chaos.

So exactly the same as 90% of the malware out there!

Not sure i have known of anyone loosing their life through malware ;)

You would have to be unhinged to want to take control of a car and have it perform evasive action or stopping it on a road, of course anything is possible :)

So exactly the same as 90% of the malware out there!

Not sure i have known of anyone loosing their life through malware ;)

You would have to be unhinged to want to take control of a car and have it perform evasive action or stopping it on a road, of course anything is possible :)

Lol true but I meant that there was no gain for the creator of the malware. Unless he owns a breakers yard or something :lol:

• Like 1

You would b e surprised. in our industry, many malware creators seek and exploit vulnerabilities not to actually use them in anger, but to 'sell' them to the vendors themselves.

''Hey Ford, through a vulnerability in your handsfree authentication I am able to take control of the car and steer it in any direction''

What do Ford want to do about that? say OK, or pay the man for his time and to disclose to them privately the flaw so they can patch it before it goes public and is found by someone else.

malware exploits, and the ''Grey Hat Hackers'' is a big earner. self employeed, working from home. They need to get paid somehow. By selling their finds they at least stay on the right side of prison. :)

Edited by Pritchard

Just another reason not to buy a modern car overloaded with useless tech that can go wrong.

This makes you sound very old ;)

You would b e surprised. in our industry, many malware creators seek and exploit vulnerabilities not to actually use them in anger, but to 'sell' them to the vendors themselves.

''Hey Ford, through a vulnerability in your handsfree authentication I am able to take control of the car and steer it in any direction''

What do Ford want to do about that? say OK, or pay the man for his time and to disclose to them privately the flaw so they can patch it before it goes public and is found by someone else.

malware exploits, and the ''Grey Hat Hackers'' is a big earner. self employeed, working from home. They need to get paid somehow. By selling their finds they at least stay on the right side of prison. :)

Yeah a small majority do it for that reason. I use to work for a large security vendor and someone did that to us and to be fair he made a large amount of money from it.

But the rest is just there to cause annoyance and try and get some form of revenue from advertising pop ups/potentially unwanted program's.

Edited by 370Ad
  • Like 1

I always sound very old! :lol: Hell, at 36 I'm well into middle age by my reckoning anyway.

Gadgets that are helpful I like, but gadgets for the sake of gadgets or gadgets that take away from driver control I don't want. MP3 compatibility? Yes please! Being able to stream FB to the HU? No, do not want. Bendy headlights to go round corners? Yeah, helpful. Lane assistance? No, if you need that turned on you're a 'tard I don't want to share a road with.

As for driver-less cars, I can't think of anything I'd like less. Apart from electric ones.

You think Driverless Cars are safe? Nope. already hacked and made to crash with a simple Raspberry Pi.

This little blog post by someone with an awesome name got posted today, worth a read. :)

Are the wheels going to come off the connected car? You auto know.

Sounds like they used a computer to control a laser that was targeted at a sensor....Not sure how well I would drive if someone shined a lazer into my eye :).

The tech is coming like it or not, just about every car manfacutre is pouring money into automated driving, Nissan is actually one of the leaders.