Jimbo's '04 Gunmetal **New Wheels!! PG 1**

Growling

Hey guys and girls..I bought my 350z back in August, and now things are happening I thought this would be a perfect time to start my project thread.I'll start with my car history.First up was my Civic:09032008447.jpgLeft like this.. Sold to and crashed by my best mate and broken by me 6 weeks later default_frown.gif :077-1.jpg063.jpgAfter that, I had an FD for a year. Very odd this one.. I think it's the most beautiful car i've owned, especially after i'd changed the wheels and suspension and stuff, but I just never really fell in love with it..:Picture165.jpgPicture167.jpgAfter that, came a 19 year old BMW estate.. Haha. Everyone I knew thought I was insane, until it was finished. it even got a little feature in PBMW. Before bags:Wheels004.jpgAfter bags:462126_506864376008274_1219386956_o.jpgThen after wanted to get something to drift after having a dabble in the rx7, I got an old R32 skyline. It had an RB25DET, cusco cage and some other stuff. Done a couple of drift days and a lot of streeto, but I couldn't leave it alone. Ended up spending 1500 on suspension, some half decent wheels, tubbed rear arches and over fenders and vinyl wrapped it myself. After my mate crashed his rx8, I decided I didn't want to trash a 5 grand car, so I sold it.How it came to me (rough) :image-5.jpgAnd how she left me:image-50.jpgNext was my Integra type R track car.This one was a full build from a shell up. It ended up with an engine swap, cage, decent suspension and brakes and I even had a play with aero. Was a very capable car by the end, with some decent lap times.How it was:image-17.jpgPR_150223_MSVT_BH_0807.jpg11179958_10155496594895257_5317277548769285325_n.jpgAnd finally My daily while the Integra was in the garage was an E46 M3. I absolutely loved this car, and i wouldn't have sold it if I didn't get a life changing opportunity. These really are fantastic cars:1560734_10155341251245257_6106355110524346436_n.jpgI'll start with the Z in the next post!

Edited by Growling
  • Like 1

This leads me onto the Z.

I was driving the M3 and playing a lot of Gran Turismo to try to qualify for a competition called GT Academy. If you haven't heard of it, have a google. It's basically a competition where the winner becomes a pro works racing driver for nissan. Long story short after a lot of hard work I managed to qualify, so the prep began. I decided if I was going to prepare I'm going to do it properly, so the M3 was sold, and the hunt for a 350Z commenced. The car was just be bought to use on track to get used to the Z cars as that's what they use most in GT Academy.

I eventually settled on a 2004 Gunmetal with 104k miles. the car was solid, and after a full service, brake overhaul (Black diamond discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads and ATE Racing brake fluid) and a fresh set of Nankang NS2-R track tyres it was ready for the track:

image_23.jpeg

image_24.jpeg

Unfortunately I never made it. The car blew a coil pack on the way to snetterton and came home on a tow truck :thumbdown: From that day on, I've carried a spare coil pack in the car :lol:

From then to the time I went away for GT Academy in October me and the car had a great time on the track. There's no pictures of that time, but we did Silverstone, Snetterton, Brands Hatch and Bedford Autodrome. Learnt a hell of a lot, and embaressed some serious cars. Even though they're heavy, man they're great to drive and very capable on track.

After just 2 months, I'd used most of my new tyres, ruined my 5th gear, blew out both the flexi's on my Y pipe and did this to a set of Ferodo DS2500 pads in under 1000 miles:

image_20.jpeg

GREAT FUN! :p

Edited by Growling
  • Like 1

After all the track time, and back home after the competition, the Z just became a road car, and what a beautiful road car it is. I love how special it feels. With the M3, it feels like a souped up saloon, but the Z feels like a focused, purpose built sports car, and I like that. I took the car on the 600+ mile round trip to Plymouth for a weekend away, and it really didn't miss a beat. So comfortable to drive:

image_21.jpeg

The track time took its toll, so I set about making the car as close to perfect as I can afford to.. It deserves it after being so great on track. After buying a new centre cap for the Rays after I lost one at Silverstone, I did the first mods.. A stainless Y pipe, and a quick wiper delete, and boot weight removal:

image_18.jpeg

image_19.jpeg

Next up was suspension. I decided to really treat her to HSD Coilovers, and Driftworks Camber arms front and rear. After a bit of fiddling, I got them on in an afternoon. (You can see here what proper hard braking does to the paint of your Brembos!):

image_25.jpeg

This left me with a low car with rediculous alignment settings:

image_26.jpeg

image_27.jpeg

A mate of mine kindly gave me a great deal on his JDM rear bumper, Diffuser, and a set of 18x9.5 wheels.. in a hideous red :lol::

image_10.jpeg

image_11.jpeg

I also ordered a Mines style lip. here is is after a bit of trimming:

image_28.jpeg

After a chat to the guy who does all my painting, he took my front and rear bumpers for a fresh coat. the front bumper had some serious stone chips, and I lost the little tow eye cover, so I grabbed a new one from Nissan before it went into paint:

image_17.jpeg

Eventually I got my bumpers back, and I'm well chuffed with them! I had the front bumper smoothed, and the front grill done in gloss black (You'll see the theme eventually).

Front end fitting:

image_9.jpeg

image_31.jpeg

Booty before and after:

image_12.jpeg

image_13.jpeg

While I was at it, I baked the rear light and removed the red from the fog:

image_14.jpeg

image_15.jpeg

image_16.jpeg

I found a Japspeed backbox for cheap, so I had to grab it. After finding some bright spark has welded my mid pipe to my back box, I sourced a 30k mile mid pipe in great condition to complete the exhaust system. I havent fitted this yet.

Dirty:

image_29.jpeg

All polished up:

image_30.jpeg

That brings me about up to date. Here she is as of today:

image_8.jpeg

image_7.jpeg

The wheels and lip are currently in the paint shop, so I'm eagerly waiting to get them back and get the car in for alignment!

There's plenty of plans for the car, mostly tidying and pampering.

Thanks for reading :p

Edited by Growling
  • Like 5

Cheers guys. Nope, still rocking the bumper car ariel lol. I don;t mind it so much.

Today I takled my manky interior switch panels. I'm on a mission now to make the car as mint as I can. Its sounds cliche, but i'm going for a real OEM+ vibe with the 350. I want it to look like some sort of Nissan factory special edition when I'm done. I'm not into all this stickers and bright colours stuff, I'm definitely going for understated.

Here's my chipped plastics:

image_6.jpeg

image_5.jpeg

The other one wasn't as bad, but still wasn't great.

I went off to Halfords and got some plastic primer and some matt black. After I'd whipped the panels out, I grabbed some 400 grit and got them ready for primer:

image_4.jpeg

A couple of coats of primer:

image_3.jpeg

First coat of Matt black:

image_2.jpeg

And all done after 4 coats of Black:

image_1.jpeg

image.jpeg

All back in the car. Well chuffed with the results. Factory fresh!!:

image_33.jpeg

image_34.jpeg

image_32.jpeg

I also ordered a new Door vent, as mines busted and looks like this..:

image_35.jpeg

Edited by Growling
  • Like 1

Had a spare hour earlier so got the arch roller out and rolled one arch in preparation for the new wheels and spacers.

Here's a couple of befores:

image_36.jpeg

image_37.jpeg

As the coilovers are set quite low I had to whip the bolt out of the damper and wedge the trailing arm down with a bit of wood to get my roller low enough lol:

image_38.jpeg

Plenty of heat gun meant I got away with no paint cracking and a nice even roll:

image_39.jpeg

Then a bit of Waxoil to seal it up while I'm there:

image_40.jpeg

image_41.jpeg

The bloody paint reacted on the wheels so now I have to get them acid dipped before they can be painted again.. more waiting!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got a few more bits done recently. No pics, but I rolled the other arch ready for the wheels, which should be back from paint this week :yahoo:

One thing that has been doing my head in was the cloudy, skanky headlights. I went in blind and just 'gave it a go'. I taped up the paintwork and got the elbow grease involved. I found some G6 compound in the shed and applied that twice by hand, followed by 2 coats of wax to hopefully protect them for a while.

Some befores:

image_51.jpeg

image_49.jpeg

image_50.jpeg

Aaand some afters:

image_52.jpeg

image_53.jpeg

image_54.jpeg

image_55.jpeg

Put in the new vent too:

image_56.jpeg

Edited by Growling
  • Like 2

Today was exhaust day.. fun fun.

I had a Japspeed k2 back box, but in the face of all the negative comments about fitment with Japspeed exhausts I didn't even bother fitting it :lol:

Instead I went with a 30,000 mile standard exhaust mid-pipe and backbox in as good condition as you could get for a used exhaust.The best part was it cost me just £30!

My standard exhaust was absolutely knackered.. While it didn't blow, it sat wonky in the bumper, the tips were black, it had been chopped and welded so the backbox and mid-pipe were one piece, and a blow had been fixed with a diet coke can :lol: :

image.png

image_42.jpeg

image_48.jpeg

image_44.jpeg

The new exhaust looks so much better. Got it sitting just right after some fiddling and polished the tips :):

image_45.jpeg

image_46.jpeg

image_47.jpeg

Good and bad today..

I got the wheels and lip back from paint, but the wheels have had to go back.. really wasn't happy with the finish at all. The lip was fine though, so I got that on and am really happy with the results! The trimming before sending it off to paint really paid off and the fit is lovely:

image_57.jpeg

image_59.jpeg

image_58.jpeg

Should all tie in well when the gloss black wheels are on :yahoo:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well i FINALLY got the wheels back. I ended up getting them powdercoated so I know they'll last and the finish is spot on:

image_60.jpeg

Taped up the lips before fitting the tires.. not taking any chances!:

image_61.jpeg

Time to get them on. Along with my Neo chrome steel internal drive wheel nuts (little pressie from the gf) :yahoo:

image_62.jpeg

image_65.jpeg

image_63.jpeg

image_64.jpeg

image_66.jpeg

Pleased with the results B)

Tried fitting my Extended wheel studs and spacers today but the company sent me the wrong wheel studs.. Im not having much luck really :angry:

Edited by Growling
  • Like 1