Private Plate Restrictions

Ceejay29

Hi Guys,

My parents have bought back the e34 M5 they used to own circa 15 years ago. Randomly noticed it on eBay a few months back and went to get it from the chap they sold it too. Such a nostalgic car, worshiped the thing growing up and still do!!

Anyway being a fan of M5's we have a private plate that reads M5 AAA for arguments sake. Given that the vehicle is 1991 I presume that the M5 AAA plate cannot be asigned? Or am I misinformed given that it isn't your standard 6 or 7 figure arrangement?

All would be ok if the car was 1995 or newer?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

My parents have bought back the e34 M5 they used to own circa 15 years ago. Randomly noticed it on eBay a few months back and went to get it from the chap they sold it too. Such a nostalgic car, worshiped the thing growing up and still do!!

Anyway being a fan of M5's we have a private plate that reads M5 AAA for arguments sake. Given that the vehicle is 1991 I presume that the M5 AAA plate cannot be asigned? Or am I misinformed given that it isn't your standard 6 or 7 figure arrangement?

All would be ok if the car was 1995 or newer?

Thanks

The plate cannot make the car appear newer than it is. So if it's a 93 registered car it can't have a 95 registered plate.

• Like 1

Yep, you cant put a "newer" plate onto an older car to make the older car "appear" newer. Im really not sure why they have that rule, as tbh who cares. When your buying a car, the year is clearly on the logbook so who cares what the number plate shows. They are so picky that say if you had a 2001 car on an X plate and wanted to put a 2001 **51*** plate on it, thats not allowed. Even though both plates are 2001, the **51*** is a few months newer, so not allowed.

Really? That's disappointing isnt it. I'd have thought that as it's a 5 digit plate you'd be allowed to do it? Not that i know it was just a (presumably wrong) assumption.

They should do away with the current numbering system, with the huge amount of "private" plates around it's pretty meaningless. A better system would be along the lines of the American system IMHO, lots more options for personalisation :)

Pete

They are so picky that say if you had a 2001 car on an X plate and wanted to put a 2001 **51*** plate on it, thats not allowed.

Goes back right to 1963 when "A" was added to the end of the number, before then number plates are interchangeable, well sort of. Back in 1974 I had my drive tarmacked by some gypsies (Yes I know :blush: ). Thing is they left the road roller behind and despite a search by the police and an appeal in the local newspaper they never came to collect it. Now then the registration number on this vehicle was "V 2", the police traced it back to 1967 and the registration was genuine, never reported stolen, police said dispose of it as you wish. I made a tentative approach to the licensing authorities to switch the plate onto my car but even though they were prepared to send me a new log book you couldn't switch a Road Roller, Motorbike, etc plate onto a car. I eventually got someone to come around and tow it away, must have weighed a few tons and didn't look very nice sitting in my back garden :lol: .

Pete

• Like 1