Nurburgring

Finchy

Hi everyone I'm looking to do the 'ring late summer time this year and have heard that I will need an oil cooler if I'm going to be driving the car hard so my question is, is there anything else I need to improve upgrade before taking it on track? Also can anyone suggest a good quality oil cooler for me to perchase? Thanks very much

Jack

Mod edit: title corrected and moved from 350 General

If its your first time, then you wont need an oil cooler! Fit the best tyres, (not the best you can afford) NEW pads all round, do your fluids, including clutch.

Take your time learning the place, its 20 + Euros a pop these days so you can soon eat up your funds.

Its a rare thing, these days, to be allowed to have your destiny in your own hands, so act with a bit of responsibility. If your not terrified at least once, you're a super-human!

• Like 1

Agree with jjdugen, definitely no need for an oil cooler at the Ring at all, even taken at average pace it flows more than enough to get plenty of cooling air through the car as stock.

Other than general trackday prep stuff (so fluids, pads, driver prep etc) the only other thing to remember is that you're not insured on the Ring, so any accidents can and will get very expensive very quickly. I found it a bit dull there myself, but it was nice to say I've done it and the history there alone makes it worth a drive. :)

Lol sorry for the misspelling luckily I'm better at driving then I am spelling haha I've got a full service with all fluids being replaced at the end of next month + pads and discs all round coming up so will be done in good time as well! I no it's nothing like the real thing but am currently doing a few laps a night on forza with a 350z to try and remember a few sections at least haha I have got unlimited track time included with my current insurance and European cover so have got to check with them that I'm covered.. So no point in oil cooler then as I got told its a MUST!? Cheers for the advice lads!

I have got unlimited track time included with my current insurance and European cover so have got to check with them that I'm covered..

I'd be amazed if you are. You can get track day cover for the Ring, but only on proper track days rather than a touristenfahrten. Even if you think you are, get them to confirm on a separate letter that you are 100% covered to drive the Ring on a regular day.

• 2 weeks later...

To echo the above, I wouldn't say you need to do anything above just ensuring your car is in good mechanical order. I think if you are planning to drive the 'ring hard enough where you actually need something like an oil cooler - It's going to end in tears!

Anyway, it's one of the best things I've ever done - Even when it's absolutely tipping it down!

racetracker_1232344_18398_zpstjpwwdvj.jpg

I know the Ring quite well with my best lap being 8 minute 30 on 2 wheels.

My best advice would be that its not a track, its a fast road with a LOT of bumps.

Don't try and go super fast, that might sound stupid but people get the red mist and go wild and crash within 5 laps.

Slow in, fast out.

Normal checks on the car, nothing special.

Know the rules of how it works and be courteous to others, giving enough space etc. Close over takes are not cool.

Elevation change was my biggest shock when actually driving/riding it from all the YT videos/Gran Turismo.

Enjoy it but just cruise around and get to know the track, there is no rush to go fast.

Whoever said about the oil cooler, never talk to him again as that person is stupid and needs to be put on the stupid step.

Edited by Jewell
  • Like 1

I no it's nothing like the real thing but am currently doing a few laps a night on forza with a 350z to try and remember a few sections at least haha

***reserved for facepalm picture***

What a video game will not teach you is the physics that you will be exposed to.

You will be concentrating on physical sensations rather than trying to remember the tracks.

Take your time and learn by doing (and remember, if you mess up, it's 1000 Euro per section of armco)

I would add just one little thing, the track is overly complicated with lots of surface changes and bumps, really a one-way country road with many blind horizons, so be prepared for nasty surprises in them and in blind corners as well - also use your mirrors frequently and don't push it too hard :) ..you will love the Ring!

Edited by ZonixX

I no it's nothing like the real thing but am currently doing a few laps a night on forza with a 350z to try and remember a few sections at least haha

***reserved for facepalm picture***

What a video game will not teach you is the physics that you will be exposed to.

You will be concentrating on physical sensations rather than trying to remember the tracks.

Take your time and learn by doing (and remember, if you mess up, it's 1000 Euro per section of armco)

I do agree, but I did the same and just knowing which direction the track goes after a blind crest is invaluable.

That's what my thinking was I just want to no in which direction to point the car after each bend ect. I no it's not perfect but has to be better then going in 'blind' surely

Sent from my London using Tapatalk

• Like 1