Wider Tyres to Avoid Rim Damage

Jeff E

My Z is 2005 and runs standard 18" rims and 225/45 and 245/45 tyres. I had the wheels fully refurbished but have managed to damage them twice. I shall be coming up for tyre renewal and actively considering fitting 245/45 front and 265/45 rear to give bit more tyre outside the rims. Can't find a post on this. Anyone done it , comments etc. Thanks. Jeff E

What tyres?

Something like the 050A or MPSS have excellent rim protection on them already on the Rays, so I'd move to those before adding wider tyres.

Or learn to park, of course. ;)

+ 1

I've got the MPSS on the zed and have recently put Goodyear F1's on the other half's Astra Sri and they both have good rim protection.

Thanks, it was SuperStu's comment in an earlier thread which prompted me to ask as I end up miles from the kerb. Hood up roadster not best visibility. The tyres came with the car, would you believe called Rockstone ! The side walls have no bulge outside the rim. Told when used to race that wide wheels with a tyre size that gives vertical / inward leaning side wall gives improved tyre stability during cornering. Planning to fit Goodyear F1 once I have rubbished existing with an airfield track day. Will have a look at the rim protectors.

Jeff E