Dash Cam Fitment

JetSet

I'm posting this under 350Z general as this is related to the 350Z in a roundabout way. I've read that its not legal to have the dashcam where it can be seen by the driver unless you switch the screen off, sadly you can't do this with mine. The problem I have is that while the rubber sucker will stick to the windscreen where its clear I can't get it to stick where it needs to go, that is behind the rear view mirror. This is because of the raised black dots affixed to the windscreen (what purpose are they there for?). How do you get around this without having to resort to adhesive?

Thanks.

Pete

I've just got a dashcam and will have the same issue - although the screen can be switched off on mine I believe. I assume the dots are to act as a sun visor of sorts to stop you being dazzled on a bright day, although that's just a guess. I don't fully understand the screen issue, its no more distracting than a satnav screen, which is far larger

In all previous cars i've has mine placed behind the rear drivers mirror like you're suggesting but for the 350 I've had to stick in where the tax disc used to go. Making sure that it's pointed towards the right a little to get the full bonnet in view.

Upper corner on the passenger side may be better though. Angled so you can't actually see much of the screen.

Just resort to adhesive. The 3m double sided stuff is not permanent and won't deface your car. I situated mine just in front of the rear view mirror where you'd have to crane your neck to see it. My mechanic didn't see it, GF didn't see it and better still, people looking in can barely see it.

I cant see the screen on mine from the drivers seat the rear view mirror obscures it but i have yet to hear of anyone being done or even stopped for it and I dont believe the law is clear on it

But if it that much of an issue just mask the screen off with some tape

• Like 1

I cant see the screen on mine from the drivers seat the rear view mirror obscures it but i have yet to hear of anyone being done or even stopped for it and I dont believe the law is clear on it

Just for info.

http://suction-mount...blogspot.co.uk/

The law is very clear. Will you be done for it ? Well that's another question.

• Like 1

Just for info.

http://suction-mount...blogspot.co.uk/

The law is very clear. Will you be done for it ? Well that's another question.

I dont think thats clear at all, and certainly its been read in various ways. Some police vehicles have dashcams with screens and other devices that breach the same regulations.

The UK wants to make dash cams a requirement within 2 years.

I got a dash-cam for christmas, I didn't know that rule! One of things it says in the instructions is that you can leave it in situ and it has a motion detector so if charged up will start filming if anyone walks by the car. But why would you leave it on your windscreen? Surely they will just smash your window and take it? I haven't got to grips with it yet but will probably find it a bit of a pain taking it on and off all the time as I'm always running late!

Motion detection is not going to be optical. If it was it'd drain your battery overnight by staying active.

It will be activated via an inbuilt accelerometer - if the car is shunted and it feels movement it'll startup and start recording.

Similarly, while active a shunt will mark the previous 20 seconds of recorded footage and the followong 30 seconds as "critical" and wont over-write it.

I think the idea is that they are small and all black so not so obvious when mounted behind a rear view mirror - most are unclippable so if you want to remove when parked you can so its out of sight. Otherwise as what G said, you need to hook them up so they remain on standby not filming and any knock to the car would activate it.

I suppose you could run it continuously when you say park in a supermarket car park and leave the car for 10 mins, there was a video recently of a guy who left his running in his Aston Martin in a car park and caught a bloke keying it.

http://www.blackboxmycar.com/products/power-magic-pro-blackvue

If you wire your camera via one of these the cheaper ones will carry on recording until device cuts out to prevent the battery draining so much that the car would not start

The Blackvue ones (Like the Aston driver had) are designed to be wired this way really and they go into parking mode as said using motion sensors (that are very sensitive) and record if any sensors trigger.

If i was parking somewhere dodgy I'd fit a blackvue, they are hard to see and very discrete but also unclip very quickly so easy to remove

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this. I meant to remove the camera before my MOT a couple of days ago but forgot all about it, its just to the left of the black spots as high as it would go. Passed the MOT with no mention of the dashcam though :)

Pete

Good to know,

Didn't realise you were not meant to be able to see the screen of your dashcam whilst driving tbh. (I especially like the mounts that some sell that hang from the bottom of the rear view mirror, basically creating a massive blind spot in your front vision!!) I used adhesive Velcro to attach mine directly behind the rear view mirror then run the cable along the top of the window. Couldn't see it at all unless you really, really looked. Passed the MOT with it on as well.

Yes, the cables tucked in to the roof upholstery really nicely, helped that mine has a thickish GPS cable that only needed support (a bit of clear tape) around the door area. I've left just enough slack cable to be able to move it behind the mirror when I get round to it which'll be if the weather ever improves :lol: .

Pete