Clutch on its way out at 49k?

Luke350

Only done a few hundred miles in my HR. And I'm adoring it. But I notice when I bought it the biting point was very high, but didn't seem to slip. I give it a blast through first the other day, and as I put it in 2nd the clutch slipped a lot. Since then, the biting point has gone much lower down but seems strong again. Do they have self adjusting clutches? And it's just worked its way too high causing it to slip? Or am I looking at new clutch? Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the zed does have a very high clutch, can take a while to get used to it and it might sound like the clutch is slipping when actually you haven't brought the clutch all the way out again.

That said, its not unheard of for a clutch to go at 49k - best way to test it is 5th gear on a DC, and floor the throttle - if the revs shoot up you know you have a problem.

Edited by brillomaster

Only done a few hundred miles in my HR. And I'm adoring it. But I notice when I bought it the biting point was very high, but didn't seem to slip. I give it a blast through first the other day, and as I put it in 2nd the clutch slipped a lot. Since then, the biting point has gone much lower down but seems strong again. Do they have self adjusting clutches? And it's just worked its way too high causing it to slip? Or am I looking at new clutch? Cheers.

Anything that starts high then goes low after use would concern me. I would say that the clutch and flywheell are on their way out. But as Ewan says the concentric slave cylinder may be at fault and an oil change may be all thats required. Water or moisture does get in to brake/clutch fluid naturally as the fluid is what is known as hygroscopic, this means it absorbs moisture from the surrounding air thus can be compressed. So if the fluid is of any real age may be suffering from this.

I've just changed the clutch fluid.

It still only slips at low revs (between 2 and 4 thousand RMP) then kinds grips again and pulls away.

Looks like it's new clutch time! Any recommendations for a kit suitable for fast road?

Is your car an HR like the OPs?

If so I would recommend the Xtreme HR complete clutch, flywheel and uprated CSC solution which can be seen here http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/92517-new-release-xtreme-clutch-kit-inc-smf-and-csc-solution-350z-hr-and-370z/

Who's the closest person to me to take the car to have a look at it? Doesn't feel like my cluch is slipping. Done it a couple more times now. Pedal goes really light at the top and really heavy at the bottom and that's where the biting point shifts to. I've had it in 5th and 6th at low revs and planted my foot and there's no slip at all.

Edited by Luke350

• 1 month later...

Well I've had my major service done and it looks like my clutch fluid was original. Completely black. So drained and filled with brand new 4.1 and haven't had it happen since. So hopefully that's that.