Alcantara for wrapping

Tuck

You can buy it on eBay: here - that listing's for a 0.5 metre length.

Or you can get it from UK Hide: here.

Both of those suppliers carry the genuine article. And it's not cheap - usually around £100 per metre length. Anything other than the proper stuff just won't last long inside a car... the sunlight will start to fade it almost immediately!

• Like 1

Yeah I've seen the cheaper imitations, and you can't tell from pictures isn't not the genuine article. My eBay is on the fritz but soon as its fixed I'll attach a couple of links to 'genuine' alcantara. See what you guys think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one from Poland seems to be decent enough, thoughts?

No. Alcantara doesn't come in widths of 50cms - it comes in widths of 150cms. So it's either been cut down or it's replica. I'd be very surprised if that turned out to be genuine!

Also, only two of the colour codes match anything listed in the Alcantara brochure I have in front of me. So that fills me with doubt as well.

I know people want to save pennies here and there but seriously, this is one fabric that it's just not worth scrimping on... buy the proper stuff or buy it twice :thumbs:

You can buy suede with adhesive back, real Alcantara is so expensive and get a similar result with faux suede.

Except faux suede has no UV protection whatsoever and will fade in the sunlight! There's a very good reason why Alcantara costs as much as it does... ;)

No. Alcantara doesn't come in widths of 50cms - it comes in widths of 150cms. So it's either been cut down or it's replica. I'd be very surprised if that turned out to be genuine!

Also, only two of the colour codes match anything listed in the Alcantara brochure I have in front of me. So that fills me with doubt as well.

I know people want to save pennies here and there but seriously, this is one fabric that it's just not worth scrimping on... buy the proper stuff or buy it twice :thumbs:

It's too small anyway, I need at least 50 cm width for the dash to be done, and yeah it's buy the good stuff or buy twice!

Buy genuine. Anything else just won't last in a car cabin!

Both of those suppliers carry the genuine article. And it's not cheap - usually around £100 per metre length. Anything other than the proper stuff just won't last long inside a car... the sunlight will start to fade it almost immediately!

You can buy suede with adhesive back, real Alcantara is so expensive and get a similar result with faux suede.

Except faux suede has no UV protection whatsoever and will fade in the sunlight! There's a very good reason why Alcantara costs as much as it does... ;)

Mine lasted very well didnt fade in well over a year and whilst i fully admit i would love the genuine article, i reckon i could afford to do it 5 x over for the cost of the real thing.

So what would it cost to do the two facing panels in real alcantara?

350interior3_zpsb542761c.jpg

I think that looks pretty good for £40 ish quid or whatever it cost me at the time ;)

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 2

Looks a bit faded to me or is that just the camera? Would the passenger airbag still work ok?

It think this was covered in another thread, the airbag has enough power to break through the alcantara. I'm not too worried about it as I've seen an airbag go off and a thin layer at alcantara won't be enough to stop it. Regardless I'll be making perforations in the alcantara where the airbag is located

• Like 1

Buy genuine. Anything else just won't last in a car cabin!

Mine lasted very well didnt fade in well over a year and whilst i fully admit i would love the genuine article, i reckon i could afford to do it 5 x over for the cost of the real thing.

So what would it cost to do the two facing panels in real alcantara?

350interior3_zpsb542761c.jpg

I think that looks pretty good for £40 ish quid or whatever it cost me at the time ;)

To wrap the Centre console, did you sand it flat or wrap over the top of the bumps?

• Like 1

The dash does look great, but don't know how much is involved removing the panels in question. :):wacko:

I'll be doing it soon as the alcantara comes so I'll make a how to ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

• Like 1