Revup on standard HR

Luke350

Hi all. I'm quite happy with standard exhaust on my HR and standard induction too. The one thing I think lets the HR Down is only having that extra horsepower so far up the Rev range. Would a uprev on a standard HR be able to bring the power further down the Rev range? So I'm not having to be in the 60s to get the most out of 2nd gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Luke350

If the HR still has the std throttle position restriction, you may find removing that will help, but otherwise as said a final drive ratio change will help with getting there faster, however this will still entail revving the nuts off it. ;)

think you lose cruise control if you change the diff ratio, you do on the 370 otherwise i'd do it tomorrow its massively over geared

Over geared is definitely the way to describe it. If you're sat at 35, and needed to be on full chat you would have to do a big blip of the throttle as you downshifted to 1st! Because 2nd would leave you with around 20mph to pull through before on full chat. Not practical at all.

Edited by Luke350

I know what you mean I've found this before that it can drop out the power band going through the gears by about 500 rpm or so. As standard the 350 is a gt car so better for mile munching.

It would help changing the final drive ratio.

Over geared is definitely the way to describe it. If you're sat at 35, and needed to be on full chat you would have to do a big blip of the throttle as you downshifted to 1st! Because 2nd would leave you with around 20mph to pull through before on full chat. Not practical at all.

Can't think of any scenario's where this is needed :S Not even on track...

I don't want more power roscoe. I want the HRs power, but at a more accessible Rev range.

350z aren't a super quick car /thread
  • Like 1

I don't want a super quick car either. I've had one. I want the HRs speed at 5,500-7,500 but at a more accessible Rev range. Just to save downshifting into crazy low gears just to stop being humiliated by slower cars.

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs buddy, i reckon your just used to the kick from the turbo off the Impreza when it made full boost probably around mid to 3/4 revs, all cars make their hp at the top end and in an n/a there is going to be no noticeable jump in power, its just very linear. My torque curve on my v3 charged zed is near flat and i absolutely love it compared to my Rx7 which was like an on off switch with the way the power was made.

In regard to your other thread about gear speeds, maybe swap out the diff to a lower final drive as it perhaps the gearing that is the all round issue here. I dont know if its possible 100% (sure it is) to swap out to an auto diff they are a lower final drive and might make the gearing more suited to what you want.

There is also a case for swapping out to a single mass flywheel and decats, it will certainly rev a bit quicker with those :) Much more responsive.

Edited by Jetpilot

Ha. I have 3 diesels already 😂 yes true the torque can make things feel faster especially when it comes in a big lump. I'll get used to it I supposed. I had a Celica Tsport that had lift (like vtech) and that need to be spanked to come alive. But at least that only did 35 in 1st and 60 in 2nd!

• Like 1

Ha. I have 3 diesels already 😂 yes true the torque can make things feel faster especially when it comes in a big lump. I'll get used to it I supposed. I had a Celica Tsport that had lift (like vtech) and that need to be spanked to come alive. But at least that only did 35 in 1st and 60 in 2nd!

I had the corolla tsport with the same engine, used to love taking that the 8200 redline with the punch at 6200.

• Like 1

On a slightly more serious note than my last post, I actually think that the spread of torque is very good on my HR. It's true that the gearing is on the long side, but I've never felt that the engine feels overcome by it. Of course, if you've come from a fast turbo (which I seem to remember you have) then you won't get the same punch as the turbo kicks in, and it's also true that I'd welcome more power across the whole rev range, but that's life...

Ye it seems to specifically be a HR problem. Quite hard to explain. Especially when the engine pulls and sounds amazing at any speed in any gear. But one of the reasons a payed a premium for a HR engine is to have the extra power. Which it definitely has IF you drive it right. Maybe it'll just take to to master it. I was just hoping there was an easy fix where a guy could plug his laptop in, click a few buttons and bring the power down to a more useable level. Or at least mess with ratios so 2nd gear is hitting a much more uniformed 60mph.