TDC Off and Slip light, Car won't start? Need help!

Davehasell

Hi guys, I've been having a problem with my 2006 350z import for a few months, my tdc off and slip light came on whilst driving, my revs also dropped to 0 and my air on fan was on, had a little fiddle and it turned off but every 2 days or so if kept happening so I would just turning the car off and on several times whilst rolling and seemed to turn off, the last 5 days it has happened twice but this time when this problem occurred my car won't turn back on? I tapped the side of the panel in footwell where I believe the ecu is and locked and unlocked the car and it seems to turn itself off and car will start again? Any suggestions?

Did it lose power when driving for a second before the lights come on? And does it start if you keep the key turned for a few seconds?

That happened to me and a few other members on here. Can't remember which sensor it was il find out

Doesn't lose no power what so ever and it just cranks and cranks but doesn't turn over, I whack the panel of where the ecu is and lock/unlock the car and it stops...it's not throwing a camshaft position sensor code just a abs/tcs communication line

Check the battery, electrical gremlins are often caused by a low one. That's the easy thing, anything else may take a little more problem solving without specific error codes (is the CEL on?).

And welcome along! :D

As it stands there is no error codes and CEL is not on 🤔

Did it lose power when driving for a second before the lights come on? And does it start if you keep the key turned for a few seconds?

That happened to me and a few other members on here. Can't remember which sensor it was il find out

Doesn't lose no power what so ever and it just cranks and cranks but doesn't turn over, I whack the panel of where the ecu is and lock/unlock the car and it stops...it's not throwing a camshaft position sensor code just a abs/tcs communication line

Ecu is up under the passengers side of the dash.

The car will actually run without seeing a phase sensor ( cam sensor) will just crank a while longer to get engine position sync'ed.

I still don't think it's the cam sensor though...it's not giving me an error code either for a cam sensor was just abs/tcs communication line. If it was a cam sensor the problem would constantly be there but mines not.

Abs ecu is under the steering column try disconnecting the main connector make sure connector and ecu pins look all good and no water/green corrosion.

Do the same for the engine ecu connector as well?

What are you using for reading the codes?

Really needs to be a Nissan Consult cause this will show old codes and how many starts ago a problem was read.

Abs ecu is under the steering column try disconnecting the main connector make sure connector and ecu pins look all good and no water/green corrosion.

Do the same for the engine ecu connector as well?

What are you using for reading the codes?

Really needs to be a Nissan Consult cause this will show old codes and how many starts ago a problem was read.

Thanks! Will check this out! I also notice I have a power steering leak from one of the pipes, is there any cables near by that this could be shorting? I have a (Mac) obd II, if I can't find the problem I will be taking it to Nissan to see what they recommend.

The CEL isn't on but runs a code p1212 and/tcs communication line and a u1001 code, the battery seems to be fine also has a light to indicate if it needs changing...😂 I am totally stuck right now! Lol

Here's the write-up from the Service Manual for P1212, TCS Communication Line:

"If DTC P1212 is displayed with DTC U1000 or U1001, first perform the trouble diagnosis for DTC U1000, U1001.

The CAN communication line is used to control the smooth engine operation during the TCS operation. Pulse signals are exchanged between the ECM and the VDC/TCS/ABS control unit (models with VDC) or ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) (models without VDC). Be sure to erase the malfunction information such as the DTC not only for the VDC/TCS/ABS control unit or ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) but also for the ECM after TCS related repairs.

Freeze frame data is not stored in the ECM for this self-diagnosis. The MIL will not light up for this self-diagnosis."

This explains why you have no CEL.