BMW Add

Jetpilot

I heard on the radio today a BMW add has been pulled from tv because it encourages reckless driving, apparently.

The reason being, it shows the driver changing down a gear and then the revs increasing.

The best part, this was a result of a absolutely mahoosive

3 complaints!!!!!!!!!!

Are you f******g kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/nov/04/bmw-ad-banned-3-series

That's the detail there, from the Guardian.

Whilst it's irritating, do you know what annoys me more? The comments from the ASA who said “We considered that the handling capability of the vehicle had not been communicated in a clear context of safety, which was a requirement of the code. We told BMW to ensure that future ads must not demonstrate the handling characteristic of a vehicle except in a clear context of safety, and that reference to this must not suggest excitement, aggression or competitiveness.â€

So hang on, even the ASA code specifically states that you can only show a car has good handling if it demonstrates that handling only exists because it's safe?! What kind of left wing utter bobbins is that?!?!

Jeeeeesus. Frickin' nanny state. Heaven forbid a manufacturer should show a car actually being fun!

If I worked there I'd probably write the same guidance, to avoid having to read the mindless complaints of the professionally tedious :lol:

"I watched advert A and was so disgusted by item B that I didn't turn over so I could make a list of items C, D and E and then write this letter. I have literally nothing better to do with my time before death." :lol:

I just had a little browse on the asa website and the rulings page....

Amazing how many rulings were upheld due to just 1 complaint, in my brief scan the most i saw for an ad were 15.

Now i understand there are/should be rules or guidelines, but surely one complaint from one persons prespective should not have any bearing out of the 1000s who probably saw the ad and saw nothing wrong.

• Like 2