had a go at wrapping my wing mirrors

cov350z

two man job seriously. Heat the wrap up then two of you hold it at both end and stretch it over the shell. Then heat up again once on and smoothed over so that the wrap keeps its memory. Then inch by inch to the return around the glass under heat. Start at the top middle of the glass and work towards the corner. Repeat all four sides.

It is a right ballache. I only did 1 as my brother did the other when we wrapped my car. And to be honest they both need re-doing, i just haven't been bothered because they look fine from a distance and no one's likely to come and inspect the wrinkled edges on the wing mirror.

Can't really offer any advice as I don't really feel like I learned much from my last attempt, might just paint them instead. Just make sure it's post heated afterward, i didn't bother since I knew it was basically a practice. Looked fine for a while then the edges started wrinkling.

To hold its shape the wrapping material HAS to be post heated. I post heat to no less than 95 degrees when wrapping. And ZZZ is right, if you're not a wrapper by trade it's best that you get someone to help you, you WILL need a heat gun rather than a hairdryer though.

• Like 1

played with a bit of wrapping myself a while back and best advice is to have the right type of vinyl , some 3m with breathing channels at least, to avoid bubbles ,as for a heat gun the're only £15/£20 b&q etc...

• Like 1

To hold its shape the wrapping material HAS to be post heated. I post heat to no less than 95 degrees when wrapping. And ZZZ is right, if you're not a wrapper by trade it's best that you get someone to help you, you WILL need a heat gun rather than a hairdryer though.

Dude when you post heat is it done with the backing on or off?

Everytimeive tried to post heat I've done it backing off and I get in a right old tangle

Dude when you post heat is it done with the backing on or off?

Everytimeive tried to post heat I've done it backing off and I get in a right old tangle

Post heating is done with the backing off, once the Vinyl is already applied to the car.

• Like 1

cheers guys havent had chance to have another go ended up bk in hospital last week. got a heat gun and some good vinyl and plenty of to have a play i plan on wrapping the whole car but the mirrors seem to be trickiest bit other than front bumper ive heard but i got the time to re do it till im happy. defo seems a 2 man job need 3 hands atleast :p

Planning on doing this myself so intrigued how it goes. . . You do seem to need a lot more wrap than just the mirror surface area.

I watched this video, some good tips maybe . .

If youre wrapping a mirror then id cut off a 500mm x 500mm square of material leaving you plenty to play around with. I wrap for a living so you need plenty of excess to allow you to stretch the material around the mirror without having to over stretch it which will put stress on the vinyl and give it more chance of failing.

Use a good vinyl. We always try to use Avery Supreme material, head and shoulders over the rest such as 3M and Hexis. In fact for me, Hexis is a no go.

Any probs or questions feel free to ask!

• Like 1

...and remember, wrapping is about doing it the best way possible, sometimes you will find you need to join the wrap so really, there is nothing wrong with wrapping your mirror in 2 halves as long as you can hide the join somewhere, let one piece overlap by a couple of mill. When im wrapping, sometimes id rather use a join knowing it wont fail somewhere done the line rather than taking a chance and having the customer return unhappy...which, so far has never happened i might add!! Just remember, post heat post heat post heat...if you dont do this, it WILL fail around tight curves and areas where you have stretched the vinyl. Sorry to say that there are a lot of wrappers out there that cut corners, dont post heat enough and also cut on the car...hence why the trade has a bad name, especially on forums.