New Tyres - Toyo Proxes T1-Sport or Falken FK-453?

larsdowg

Hi all,

looking at changing my Falken F-452 tyres which I have loved but now they don't make them.

Some friend with performance cars have rated the GoodYear Eagle F1, but I have eaten a set of these already....

I like the Falken but.............this might sound odd, don't like the tread pattern on the FK-453.

I have heard the T1-Sport is a very good tyre.

Anyone driven with both or either and can give me their opinion please? :headhurt:

Many thanks

Lars

I had a set of Toyos on my outgoing Z4 Coupe and loved them. Found them super grippy in wet and dry conditions.

I just replaced my rears on the 370z with Toyos based on my previously positive experience and I will be swapping them, for a set of Michelin Pilot Sports ASAP.

Since fitting the Toyos I noticed the traction control cutting in a few times in the dry when giving it full throttle. In wet conditions, especially when the road surface is greasy they are downright scary. I tried to pull away from a set of lights briskly last week, short shifting straight to second and Despite feeding the throttle the rear wheels span up and the rear of the car squirmed around all over the place. I tried reaching for third and same thing happened. Made me look a right tit! I've spun the wheels or had the traction control cut in on a few other occasions in the wet too and have very little confidence now.

My feeling is that the Toyos are just not sufficient for the power of the car. They may have worked well on my old Z4, but my 370 is packing another 80bhp and a truck load more torque. I'm annoyed as I've just wasted £320 on the Toyos plus fitting, but given their grip profile (or lack thereof) in the wet I want them off ASAP.

Hopefully my experience can at least save you from throwing money down the toilet! 😡

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I had the F1's on a WRX Sti Prodrive with approx 330bhp, it ate a set in under 7,000 miles.

The Falkens on the ZED rears have lasted about 9-10k (not sure if that's good or bad) Standard setup 'Ekona'.

Going to garage the car as I'm wanting to keep it away from the grit and salt now as its 11 years old and I want to keep it now, had it 7 years and become quite attached to it. (think that's the start of another post!)

Toyo T1-Sports where recommended by 'Gardner Douglas Sports Cars Ltd' they put them on Cobra replica's pushing 450bhp plus........ but thinking about it they will probably only use them in the 'dry/good weather' as they are open topped cars.

So interesting feedback 'James'...food for thought. I don't do that many miles now so tyre price isn't really an issue, I just don't want to put something on that ruins the cars handling. Did this once years ago with a Mitsubishi MIVEC FTO (wasn't great to start with, but it was rubbish afterwards). Never run with Pilot Sports before........

What mileage can I expect from F1's?

Well if price isn't an issue, then the only sensible option is the MPSS. Best tyres you can get full stop, short of the semi-slick stuff.

I've done 10k miles on my set, and they're far from looking remotely worn on the rears. Fronts looked like new!

• Like 1

Well if price isn't an issue, then the only sensible option is the MPSS. Best tyres you can get full stop, short of the semi-slick stuff.

I've done 10k miles on my set, and they're far from looking remotely worn on the rears. Fronts looked like new!

Michelin Pilot Super Sports..... £153 fitted/per tyre on Black Circle sound about right?

Sounds like a good price to me, same price for front and rear?

Fronts coming in at £141, life left in my Fronts though....... so won't swap these yet. Will just have to run with a mixed set for a bit. Not ideal.....but needs must.

Understeer city!

Personally I'd just change the lot and have a car that had equal grip front and rear going into the winter period, and chuck the 452s on eBay.

Only had my Z for 2 weeks but bought it knowing it needs new tyres, very soon on the back and soon on the front. Currently it has Kuhmo Ecsta SPT's on all round and I have these on my 1989 911 and find the grip levels on that good, however that is a lighter car and I don't use it in the winter, whereas the Z is a daily driver. Any suggestions on what would be good for me? I do a fair bit of mileage and so need them to last well and give plenty of all year round grip.

• Like 1

I ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports earlier this week for £650 for the set from mytyres.co.uk - that is for 19" rims too as mine is a 370. Fitting at my local tyre place will likely only cost £30 - £40 or so. Felt that was a really good deal. Would have been even better if I hadn;t pi**ed £320 (plus fitting) up the wall for those Toyos!

Speaking of which I had another incident with the Toyos this morning. Pulling up a damp sliproad onto Mancunian way, short shift into second and third, then fed the throttle towards open and the traction control cuts in again as the wheels start to spin up.

Can't get rid of these things soon enough. I am not saying they are a bad tyre per sé as I had a really good experience before, but just not sufficient for more powerful cars it would appear.

ahhhh tyre talk!

I have the Kuhmo Ecsta on my car right now. I have just replaced the rears with new ones.

I have these because that's what came on the wheels when i bought them and i have to say i think they're ok. Yes, if you hammer is in the wet they let go and give up pretty quick but i simply cant afford to buy the top end tyres in the 19" sizes.

I used to have continental sport 5's on my 18's and they where amazing.

I was going to try the Toyo next but after reading some of the posts here i dont think i'll bother.

Matt

• 5 months later...

Ended up putting on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 ......... car coming out in few days beginning of May.

Lets see how they fair.......I won't be doing much mileage as garage it in the winter now so doesn't really matter if I eat them.

Thanks for the advice and comments guys/gals