Oil temperature gauge.

philw99

I've kinda messed up :huh:

Added a bigger oil pan and oil cooler:

20151025_152208.jpg

Filled the car with oil and did a track day, happy to report my install held together perfectly with no leaks :D

The problem being rushing the job and not thinking i didn't add an oil temperature gauge...

Anyone got any advise on the simplest one to add? Do i have to drain all the oil again? (Wasn't cheap the stuff i put in and it's only done one track day)

Wish i gone for an oil sump ready for a temperature gauge to be added.

I think. resuming you don't have a grub screw in your sandwich plate. (dont hold me to this) you can wind out the sensor for the oil pressure and fit a tee in the socket then on one side refit the oil pressure sensor, the other you can fit your oil temp probe.

I personally have the defi gauge and i think its fantastic, I fitted mine into my mishimoto thermostatic sandwich plate.

I think you'll be looking at an oil drain bud. I've literally just fitted an oil cooler and temp gauge to mine and the set up has 2 sandwich plates, a thermostatic one with the lines to the cooler and one with the tap's for the sensors.

I only changed my oil 200ish miles ago but which is annoying but I don't think there is any way around replaceing it unless you drain in to a bucket and reuse the oil...

I only changed my oil 200ish miles ago but which is annoying but I don't think there is any way around replaceing it unless you drain in to a bucket and reuse the oil...

cant see a problem with draining and reusing the oil - even if you buy brand new perfectly clean bucket and then bin it afterwards it wouldn't be more than a fiver, certainly cheaper than fresh oil.

• Like 2

I was thinking if it was ok to do the same thing, have drained my oil out into a brand new 16 litre tub with a sealed lid and had it on the side a week now, looks fine and nothing is floating in it or anything and was really careful not to get it contaminated. Ive only done 110 miles on the oil so feel your predicament.

I was thinking of putting some gauze in my funnel before I put back in engine to catch anything ive missed but still in two minds whether to do it or not

Edited by jumping350

cant see a problem with draining and reusing the oil - even if you buy brand new perfectly clean bucket and then bin it afterwards it wouldn't be more than a fiver, certainly cheaper than fresh oil.

Actually starting to think i could take off the oil filter and current sandwich plate, they're higher than the oil pan so can probably get away without losing that much oil.

Then i've got spare oil to top-up to the correct level after.

Ordered a SPA digital gauge :)

http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/Category/Digital%20Gauges

Now just need to workout the correct sandwich plate to order, would be great to get one that my goodridge hoses and the temprature gauge plug direcly into.

Please talk on the forum about piggybacking two.

Or this if you can live without the bling :) it's nearly half the price:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/mocal-oil-sandwich-plate-with-thermostat-m-otsp-1

I think you will still get most of the oil out even if you don't take the sump plug out dude...Get a new bucket, drain the oil in to that and re use it. As jumping 350 suggested, gauze in the funnel is a great idea to ensure your don't get any contaminates back in the system.

Edited by Rich260
  • Like 1

I dont think the Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate has a sensor port?

The Mishimoto one does.

Very good point. I have 2 plates to run a sensor which obviously makes it less cost effective. Mishimoto may be cheeper over all and to be fair you will have less joints so less chance of a leak.

There is a drilling in the sump that allows you to read oil temp , the DE motor has this blocked off the REV UP motors has oil temp trip calibrated in the stock ECU ( will put the car into limp if the oil temp gets to 130deg C) so it has an oil temp sensor fitted and wired into the ECU (see below picture)

ErixyO.jpg

This will allow you to read OIL temp with out any extra take off plates or draining the oil on a DE motor Thread is M10 x 1 ( I think will double check)

• Like 1

There is a drilling in the sump that allows you to read oil temp , the DE motor has this blocked off the REV UP motors has oil temp trip calibrated in the stock ECU ( will put the car into limp if the oil temp gets to 130deg C) so it has an oil temp sensor fitted and wired into the ECU (see below picture)

ErixyO.jpg

This will allow you to read OIL temp with out any extra take off plates or draining the oil on a DE motor Thread is M10 x 1 ( I think will double check)

Thanks for your help Mark. Shame I'd ordered the sandwich plate this afternoon. Not to worry

Think this is it? Bolt above the place the filter unit bolts too:

20151027_195621.jpg

• Like 1

ErixyO.jpg

Thanks for your help Mark. Shame I'd ordered the sandwich plate this afternoon. Not to worry

Think this is it? Bolt above the place the filter unit bolts too:

20151027_195621.jpg

Thats it

• 5 months later...

Has anybody succeeded in reading the oil temp data through some OBD2 app, maybe through adding a custom PID, or is the data read by the sensor not accessible by any means? I see that the sensor used is exactly of the same type as the one used to read water temp.

Edited by ZonixX